Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 PM

142 posts, read 516,517 times

Advertisements

I've seen many times where people just say oh, this place is very family friendly but what defines a place as kid friendly?
Do they have parks, schools nearby?

I have a toddler and "dream" to buy in one of these so-called "family friendly" neighborhoods one day so I think I should at least know what to look for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 9,263 times
I think it all depends on your budget. As far as Manhattan goes, they usually define neighbourhoods with a lot of other families with kids, parks and playgrounds as family-friendly. And there are quite a few of those in the city - for example, we live in the Upper West Side, and love it from that point of view. But in reality, in most of these neighbourhoods you've got to pay for a private school and outrageously priced real estate. Our son is only a year old and we are still lucky to live in a rent-stabilized appartment, so it works for now; but once we have to pay the market price for education and housing, I don't think I'll define my neighbourhood as family friendly anymore. That is, on 150K a year, there is no way we'll be able to afford acceptable quality of life! I say (and that's just my opinion) - there are just too many investment bankers in town for it to be family-friendly for anyone else. Sorry if this sounds harsh.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:22 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
I hate the term "family-friendly".. I grew up in Jackson Heights, somewhere where people probably wouldn't consider as a family friendly area.. and I'm just fine, and have been happy my whole life. People seem to think you need a big house, and backyard, or something for your kids.. yes, those things are nice, but just as there's people who choose to live in certain areas, there's also people who choose to live in different areas. Your child will just have a different experience while growing up, and many of us have grown up in a lot of different areas. Just go with your wits on this one.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:22 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
It's also about the concentration of families/kids already in the neighborhood.

Park Slope is probably the ultimate kid-friendly neighborhood. Very close to a huge park and lots of young, albeit quite affluent, families. Some of the public schools are descent and there are good private schools in the area. It's has a quieter feel than Manhattan, yet it has tons of cool shops, restaurants, etc.

The downside is very ambitious parents who started plotting long ago how to get little Johnny into Princeton. (No, seriously.) It's very upper-upper-middle class, hyper-educated, and driven place. When you mix that will the anxiety of razing children, it can get very intense.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:23 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
^^^ exactly simplyme

i know 2 couples living in the UES - one couple has 3 kids (2 are toddlers) and the other couple has two kids. and they're both very happy, but they also make a lot of $$$$. both of them own their homes.

the hedge fund business i believe..

Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 AM

142 posts, read 516,517 times
Well, I work in the financial industry and baring winning a megalotto or getting multi-mil bonus, I don't see myself able to live in Manhattan.
Is Riverdale considered family friendly? Which part?
I have a good idea about the difference between want and needs so I'm def not swinging for the fence on this one.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,733 times
Riverdale is an EXTREMELY family friendly neighborhood. Has great schools and lots of parks. Pricing is extremely affordable and you can find several buildings that have luxury amenities comparable to those of Manhattan (FT Doorman, Garage, Pool, Tennis, Central Air). I live in Central Riverdale and have two playgrounds directly across the street from me, as well as one of the top ranked PS in the city...

Old 06-18-2009, 08:35 PM

12 posts, read 21,595 times
In Queens, Rego Park and Forest Hills are very kid and family friendly.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:22 AM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
As for the Bronx, I would have to say Pelham Bay. It has a great K-8 school in PS 71, Pelham Bay Park is nearby and so is the (6) train.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyme24 View Post
I think it all depends on your budget. As far as Manhattan goes, they usually define neighbourhoods with a lot of other families with kids, parks and playgrounds as family-friendly. And there are quite a few of those in the city - for example, we live in the Upper West Side, and love it from that point of view. But in reality, in most of these neighbourhoods you've got to pay for a private school and outrageously priced real estate. Our son is only a year old and we are still lucky to live in a rent-stabilized appartment, so it works for now; but once we have to pay the market price for education and housing, I don't think I'll define my neighbourhood as family friendly anymore. That is, on 150K a year, there is no way we'll be able to afford acceptable quality of life! I say (and that's just my opinion) - there are just too many investment bankers in town for it to be family-friendly for anyone else. Sorry if this sounds harsh.
Wow, at $150K you say that! That is not a knock, I actually hear you, it's why I more and more want to leave this area......I understand supply and demand but this is sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: