U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 PM

69 posts, read 320,219 times

Advertisements

I noticed while areas like Bayside and Forest Hills have excellent elementary / middle schools, I can't find any strong local high schools in NYC. Any parents can share a few tips? My choices are:

1) Move to an area like Great Neck with an amazing high school
2) Hope my child can score high on SSAT and get into a magnet high school like Brooklyn Tech or Stuyvesant (I made it to Brooklyn Tech myself, it wasn't terribly difficult)

If option 2 doesn't play out I need a back up plan, what do you guys do? Any affordable private schools with high SAT scores? I know SAT score is not everything, but it is the fastest and most unbiased way for me to judge a school's overall strength.

SAT scores (Verbal + Math):

Stuyvesant: 1405
Brooklyn Technical High School: 1225
Great Neck: 1196
Benjamin Cardozo: 1037
Forest Hills: 964

And that is the exact order I would rank those five schools too.

SAT Score Database: http://php.democratandchronicle.com/RocDocs/sat/

Last edited by hitmantb; 06-15-2009 at 02:41 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 PM

295 posts, read 1,439,506 times
Default options

You're from the area...
So, in my opinion...your options are:

1. Specialized schools: Your child has to get in (so this is an effort on their part & a hope on yours). Tech, Science, Stuy, T. Harris are all great options....and are all competitive.

2. Schools with honors programs: again, competitive, but Cardozo & a couple others like F. Lewis have great honors programs with some kids brighter than those in specialized schools.

3. Move: Get ready to pay property taxes.

4. Private/Catholic schools. St Francis Prep...if you can survive the swine flu...is a great option. I'm sure there are other options that are also great.

5. Zoning: Have your kid go to the school you are zoned for. It may not be what a parent wants to hear...but sometimes any High School will provide a good education: it depends on the kid to take it to the next step. Some do & some don't. I know a great number of kids who came from local HSs & did very well & a great # who went to Stuy & didn't get anywhere.

In my opinion...spend the $$ on a review course for the exams for the magnets & see how your kid does...this will give you a good idea of how much studying they will be able to take in HS too...

Good luck.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:23 PM

69 posts, read 320,219 times
Any site I can find out the SAT scores of private schools?

I would like to see a real tangible difference between them and the free ones.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:38 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,561,412 times
Private schools don't publish these.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:38 PM

9,056 posts, read 22,466,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by znycgirl View Post
You're from the area...
So, in my opinion...your options are:

1. Specialized schools: Your child has to get in (so this is an effort on their part & a hope on yours). Tech, Science, Stuy, T. Harris are all great options....and are all competitive.

2. Schools with honors programs: again, competitive, but Cardozo & a couple others like F. Lewis have great honors programs with some kids brighter than those in specialized schools.

3. Move: Get ready to pay property taxes.

4. Private/Catholic schools. St Francis Prep...if you can survive the swine flu...is a great option. I'm sure there are other options that are also great.

5. Zoning: Have your kid go to the school you are zoned for. It may not be what a parent wants to hear...but sometimes any High School will provide a good education: it depends on the kid to take it to the next step. Some do & some don't. I know a great number of kids who came from local HSs & did very well & a great # who went to Stuy & didn't get anywhere.

In my opinion...spend the $$ on a review course for the exams for the magnets & see how your kid does...this will give you a good idea of how much studying they will be able to take in HS too...

Good luck.
This is excellent advice,including option 5.
As a NYC teacher I have also seen many kids do very well in "regular" schools and many kids fail after getting into the test schools.
The most important two factors are always the motivation of the student and what is going on in the home.If those two things are good there is likely to be a very positive result ,wherever.If either is lacking it will be a struggle, wherever.
Too many parents place too much emphasis on tests and schools and not enough on the fundamentals.No school can make up for what is lacking in the home.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:18 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,650,072 times
Cardozo's not a very good school, and Forest Hills is just average. You shouldn't be worrying about SAT scores.. you should be worrying about Regents scores. Most high schools don't touch anything on the SATs at all anyway, and you just have to take a special class for it... SATs aren't that important anymore anyway, colleges look more at what you've done over the years, and Regents.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:22 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,561,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Cardozo's not a very good school, and Forest Hills is just average. You shouldn't be worrying about SAT scores.. you should be worrying about Regents scores. Most high schools don't touch anything on the SATs at all anyway, and you just have to take a special class for it... SATs aren't that important anymore anyway, colleges look more at what you've done over the years, and Regents.
Not necessarily: private schools don't give their students the Regents exams. It's all SATs and grades.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,650,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Not necessarily: private schools don't give their students the Regents exams. It's all SATs and grades.
Yes, but he only listed public high schools, so I assumed that's what he wanted.. but I really don't know anyone that got into a college because of their SAT grade, if you want to get into a really good college, it's going to depend more on your essay and interview, than that test.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:31 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,478,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is excellent advice,including option 5.
As a NYC teacher I have also seen many kids do very well in "regular" schools and many kids fail after getting into the test schools.
The most important two factors are always the motivation of the student and what is going on in the home.If those two things are good there is likely to be a very positive result ,wherever.If either is lacking it will be a struggle, wherever.
Too many parents place too much emphasis on tests and schools and not enough on the fundamentals.No school can make up for what is lacking in the home.
I concur. I have seen this many times. A student maybe an excellent student, but in a specialized high school all the students are excellent. Some will fall in the bottom tier, some in the middle, and some will be on top.

It may be a big blow to the teenage ego to end up in the bottom, or the middle after being on top in elementary and middle school. Also it may damage the parent teen relationship, because the parents reaction is usually to try to push the teenager to work harder to get back on top. Especially when they find out that colleges still consider the teenagers rank in class for admittance. It doesn't matter to the best colleges the name of the school that the applicant graduated from. SAT scores, Grades, and rank in class is what gets the application in the acceptable pile. After that they narrow down the other little things.

All that pushing from the parent usually doesn't help, because the student is usually motivated, seeking and getting tuturing, but that is where they have landed in their class.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:18 PM

75 posts, read 532,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Cardozo is one of the best public 'regular' high schools in NYC, what're you talking about?

As for regular high schools in queens, I would go

Harris
Cardozo
Bayside
Francis Lewis
Sinatra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City