Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,014 times

Advertisements

I am arriving in NY from Fl on june 24th and have to have my apt already set up w/internet because i work from home. i found an apt that will rent to me for one month furnished and they sent me pics over the net. have not discussed details yet on how to hold the apt w/my payment. anyone know if this is a bad idea to secure something w/out actually seeing it in person if they say the pics are from the actual apt and im going through a broker?
if that is risky. how likely would it be for me to be able to arrive on june 24th and find a place that day to move into on the 25th and be able to have internet set up right away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 01:07 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
It's not so much the broker's you have to worry about or even the apartments, it's the landlords in most cases. I've dealt with some very sketchy landlords in NYC which can make or break your experience there. Inquire about the lease or any rules that you may have a conflict with. Ask about utilities, heat, repairs, pests/bugs etc. You may or may not get full disclosure but if you can get this info in writing from them it will hold up better in court if that ever becomes an issue.

Don't count on internet being connected right away if you plan on getting service provided through Time Warner. You have to set up an appointment and it can takes a couple of weeks to have someone out there. At least that was the case for my brother earlier this year. Not sure how fast you can have other service providers get you up and running.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanicole81 View Post
how likely would it be for me to be able to arrive on june 24th and find a place that day to move into on the 25th and be able to have internet set up right away?
Sounds like you need an extended stay hotel or a corporate apartment. They exist, but they're expensive. I would go with a company that specializes in such an arrangement, i.e., not some random landlord looking to make a little extra cash. Even if it's not a outright scam, such a landlord/management company might not have the experience/logistical infrastructure to make the transition work smoothly.

If it's for only one month, it's going to cost a lot no matter what. I would go with a reputable company.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
There are many many scams out there preying on out-of-state people who send their money for a place in advance. Only do this if you are sure of the reputation of the place you are dealing with. Otherwise, why not be more flexible with your living arrangements (find something when you get here) and separately rent an office with internet already set up - there are plenty to choose from in the office / commercial listings on craigslist.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:31 PM

486 posts, read 2,113,063 times
Chances are that if you are going thru a broker, you'll be okay. But there are shady people out there.

Keep records of all communications and monies sent. Always pay by check made payable to the business or landlords name....never made out to cash.
Incase you have to go to court.

Normally to hold the apartment you have to pay the security and broker fee up front. The rent is paid when you move in. That's how we do on Long Island. This holds the apartment for you. Since it is a one month rental, probably meaning a month to month, you pay as you go.

If you decide when you get here that you don't like the apartment, you will most likely lose out on your security and broker fee. So it's a good thing you found a month to month.

I like what tpk-nyc suggested. Maybe look into that before you commit to this apartment for your own protection. Once here and you have time, then look for a more suitable place.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:41 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,709 times
Renting an apartment I've never seen is something I would never do.

Nor would I send money via internet. I'd much rather take time to vist the place I'm moving and handle that business live and in person, and I'd be careful as an out-of-towner in that venture as well.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:55 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Unless you need a ton of space, why not just call a regular budget motel and say that you need to stay for at least a month and possibly more while you look for an apartment and what discount rate could they give you? Since you work from home, access to Manhattan may not be critical (so you might be able to get away with $45/night or something depending how far you go) and usually even the most budget of hotels offer free wireless internet and usually a microwave and mini-fridge so you don't have to eat out all the time.

Unfortunately, Motel6 is only on the outskirts of the area (Piscataway, NJ and I believe near New Haven, CT), but I wouldn't reco them anyway because you have to buy a special password card every day for $3 to get Internet. Super8 is in Nyack, Stamford, CT and I believe in Queens. Econo Lodge is in the northeast Bronx, somewhat sketchy neighborhood, but I think you'd be safe. America's Best Value Inn, a relatively new chain, is in Newark, NJ, Manhattan (probably still expensive though), Brooklyn, and Stamford. Off all these I'd reco trying America's Best first.

Alternatively, you could stay for like just a week and apartment hunt like mad. Craigslist may be a good source. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 04:57 AM

197 posts, read 895,181 times
Even with a broker you have to go into the apartment and check the details out like are all outlets working, is the A/C and heat working good, and to make sure there is absolutely no bug infestation, smells from former smokers who had the apartment previously etc. Yeah the landlord will have to fix it but it is better if this corrected before you move in not while you are living there.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:07 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
New article from the NY Times about rental scams.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/28/re...l?pagewanted=1
I guess sublet scams are a big problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City