Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,166,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
I've been contemplating a move from NC to NYC for a while now and when I look at office support and/or sales positions, they pay less than I'm getting paid in NC. What incentive is it to live NYC with the same pay as got me struggling in NC?! I thought it would be different in NYC b/c of the higher standard of living. And I've noticed this to be true in all of the boroughs. I think it's laughable to pay >$15 for anything other than burgur-flippin in any of the 5 boroughs. How do people make ends meet on this? Any ideas/thoughts on where the good jobs are would be appreciated.
The truth is a lot of people in NYC are actually underpaid. The salaries are very high at the high end so it tips the scale and overall salaries look better. When you have such a competitive job market, it's beneficial to employers since they can always find someone who will work cheaper and for less benefits.

Also generally sales positions at least entry level sales positions in NYC pay squat. You have to really earn your pay on commissions and maybe hope to eventually become a manager.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 06-22-2009 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:55 AM

241 posts, read 335,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Don't you mean higher COST of living, not standard? Also, don't you mean < than $15 and not > $15 for anything other than a McJob?

The answer is there is no incentive. You don't move to NYC to get an admin job or a McJob and hope for a better standard of living just because you're in New York - in fact it will be the opposite. New York is a competitive place and if you don't have what it takes to measure up against the rest of the people that work their asses off to live here you won't be able to make it. Companies in New York are willing to pay you if you have specialized skills and talents that are rare. It's the simple rule of supply and demand. Pretty much anyone with a 5th grade education can do admin work or flip burgers, so you're not going to get paid well and you're not going to live well either. This place has little sympathy for laziness, you have to go hard.
Wow, sarcastic, much?! lol. I was at work typing this when I was supposed to be working on a project sorry about the grammatical errors. Sheesh! I realize there's tons of people & competition, but it just floors me that folks will move there for so little pay. I do realize living off of $60K in Raleigh vs. NYC is quite different. I also know that unique skills play a large part, but let's be real networking does too. I know plenty of "moderately" educated people with degrees from crappy schools who are semi-ballin in NYC and other metro areas.

BTW, my first job in high school was McD's. I worked there for 2 years while in college as well and I can tell you I'm anything but lazy. Also, I might be going out on a limb assuming most fifth graders can do genuine administrative work. Thanks for the response, but your attitude is particlarly telling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City