Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 04:37 PM

34 posts, read 108,469 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the Bronx to attend grad school this fall. Ideally, I'd like to get my own place (studio or 1br), but I'm concerned about lease times. My grad program is only a year and a half long, and I will likely be moving away afterwards. Thus, I really don't want to have to sign a 1 year lease that I'll have to renew again for another year (leaving me with 6 months that I have to pay for, but that I don't need). Would a landlord ever consider allowing me to sign a 18 month lease? If so, would they still consider it even if it's in an area right near a University and I'd be moving the date they'd be looking for a new tenant from July/Aug (right before the school year) to Jan/Feb (middle of the school year)?

One other question: I'm moving back to the States from abroad and am really crunched for time as far as finding an apt goes. What is the likelihood that I could come to NY, find an apt, and sign a lease within 4 days? I'd be more than willing to do whatever research I can via the internet and phone before hand.

Thanks so much for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 PM

9 posts, read 26,748 times
Maybe you should try roommate.com? It may be help you get the flexibility you need.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:03 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
I'd say an 18-month lease would not be the norm, but it never hurts to ask. Alternately, you could ask about the possibility of subletting, so that if you don't stay the entire two years, you can find someone to take over the lease. Or, you could look for a sublease situation yourself, which might allow a bit more flexibility.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:23 AM

204 posts, read 813,354 times
Possible, yes. Probable, maybe.

I beleive that renters gain more rights if they sign a lease for more than 12 months at a time. It would be possible to sign a 12 month lease and a rider for 6 months at the same time to make it an effective 18 months.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM

304 posts, read 1,304,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac3d View Post
Possible, yes. Probable, maybe.

I beleive that renters gain more rights if they sign a lease for more than 12 months at a time. It would be possible to sign a 12 month lease and a rider for 6 months at the same time to make it an effective 18 months.
In NYC, you don't get more rights by tacking an extra six months onto lease.
Rights "happen" just by virtue of having a lease, and specifics depend on the type of rental and the terms of the lease. For example, a rent-controlled/stabilized tenant has more protections than a market-rate tenant does regarding rent increases and renewals.
(Lease-length is a drawback only for month-to-month tenants, who can be given shorter notice to vacate.)

I agree with squeezeboxgal: Either ask for an 18-month lease, or look for a sublet -- and in either case, make sure that you have a written lease that dots every "i."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City