U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
1,372 posts, read 2,938,180 times
Reputation: 573

Advertisements

To people around the world, is NYC synonymous with the 9/11 attacks, just like Oklahoma City is synonymous with what happened in 1995 and Waco with the massacre of '93?

I personally don't think so - New York is well known for SO many things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 12,960,163 times
Reputation: 4086
Well, the problem is, any time you mention that you're from NYC to an "outsider", the first thing they bring up is 9/11. Just like if you're a NYFD, the first thing people ask about is 9/11.

NYC is so much more than 9/11, but 9/11/01 is a defining moment for our city and we showed the world how strong we truly are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2009, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
1,372 posts, read 2,938,180 times
Reputation: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Well, the problem is, any time you mention that you're from NYC to an "outsider", the first thing they bring up is 9/11. Just like if you're a NYFD, the first thing people ask about is 9/11.

NYC is so much more than 9/11, but 9/11/01 is a defining moment for our city and we showed the world how strong we truly are.
Yes. Did 9/11 affect every New Yorker personally, the same way World War 2 affected most people in the world personally?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 05:41 AM
 
7,079 posts, read 36,828,385 times
Reputation: 4082
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Yes. Did 9/11 affect every New Yorker personally, the same way World War 2 affected most people in the world personally?
Mimzy, I think you're going to have to ask every single New Yorker yourself, because this isn't a statistically unbiased sample.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
9,119 posts, read 22,831,040 times
Reputation: 7469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Yes. Did 9/11 affect every New Yorker personally, the same way World War 2 affected most people in the world personally?
There is one way that 9/11 affected every New Yorker(and every American and most people in the world) personally : It lead to our launching of a catastrophic war of choice,the reverberations of which will continue for a long time to come.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
1,372 posts, read 2,938,180 times
Reputation: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There is one way that 9/11 affected every New Yorker(and every American and most people in the world) personally : It lead to our launching of a catastrophic war of choice,the reverberations of which will continue for a long time to come.
Very true. No offense to the people that died that horrible day, but the war in Iraq is a tragedy of a magnitude far greater even than what happened in New York 8 years ago. It is horrible, I have heard a million people have died ... that's like as bad as Saddam or worse!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,048 posts, read 33,115,680 times
Reputation: 10583
I have never once heard of New York referred to as the "9/11 City." Then again, as a New Yorker, I might be living in the wrong place! I suspect that if anyone actually uses a term like that, they're located somewhere else in the United States.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Home
1,482 posts, read 3,002,810 times
Reputation: 624
Simple answer: No.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,915 posts, read 7,719,875 times
Reputation: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Very true. No offense to the people that died that horrible day, but the war in Iraq is a tragedy of a magnitude far greater even than what happened in New York 8 years ago. It is horrible, I have heard a million people have died ... that's like as bad as Saddam or worse!
Yea... soldiers know that they might not live to see the next day, people who are just going to work, and doing their job in an office building might not be thinking the same thing..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
1,372 posts, read 2,938,180 times
Reputation: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Yea... soldiers know that they might not live to see the next day, people who are just going to work, and doing their job in an office building might not be thinking the same thing..
Well I was more talking about the civilians.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top