Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:34 AM

304 posts, read 1,303,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
For those of you who are serious about research - the first link is to is a recent newspaper article and the second is a scholarly paper written by a professor at MIT:
THE MADNESS OF RENT STABILIZATION - New York Post
How Rent Control Drives Out Affordable Housing
Can you point to more nonpartisan, objective studies?
Because the NY Post has a rather well-known political angle, and the Cato Institute _exists_ to promote libertarianism and limited government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 11:42 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,330,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
Can you point to more nonpartisan, objective studies?
Because the NY Post has a rather well-known political angle, and the Cato Institute _exists_ to promote libertarianism and limited government.
I can produce more but you may dismiss them because they were picked up by a "biased" organization or website.

But this is a source that I don't think you can call partisan at all. Here's an abstract of a book on the subject. I can't see how you could link the authors to any partisan organization. It was written by two Harvard professors in the John F. Kennedy School of Government:
SSRN-The Misallocation of Housing Under Rent Control by Edward Glaeser, Erzo Luttmer

Let's turn the tables. Instead of meaningless, snide remarks, can any regulation advocate cite any (even one) in-depth study that demonstrates that rent regulation has been good for the city as a whole (i.e. quantity and quality of the housing stock, tax revenue, increase in vacancy rate)?

Old 06-26-2009, 11:49 AM

88 posts, read 420,298 times
Quote:
In a survey published in 1992, 76.3 percent of the economists surveyed agreed with the statement: “A ceiling on rents reduces the quality and quantity of housing available.” A further 16.6 percent agreed with qualifications, and only 6.5 percent disagreed.
Price Controls: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics | Library of Economics and Liberty

Old 06-26-2009, 11:51 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
It really dosnt matter what the guess, or the studies show , the only thing thats important is the return on my investments.....

the city has decided that all businesses are allowed to earn a fair and market return on whatever it is that the buisness does except if you chose real estate. then you have to subsidize and eat the expenses and basically cut your income from a market rate income so others who cant afford your goods or services can do so on your back.... try that at the grocery store next time .. im one landlord who has taken his rentals out of circulation since they were co-ops and sold them to owners who now live there..... our family has taken 39 apartments off the rental market in nyc as the origional tenants moved or had their leases bought out and nyc has lost 39 apartments from us alone.... i can get better returns elsewhere with alot less grief and aggrevation

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-26-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 12:12 PM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
For unemployed and very low income tenants any increase is too much.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:19 PM

Sorry to have to say it but thats not my problem or any landlords problem anymore then its anyone elses business's problem..... thats the city, state or federals responsibility to put up affordable housing not private individuals trying to earn their own living ...

Old 06-26-2009, 12:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,330,874 times
In a survey published in 1992, 76.3 percent of the economists surveyed agreed with the statement: “A ceiling on rents reduces the quality and quantity of housing available.” Thanks, Grenoble, I didn't see that one.

And mathjak, you reminded me of another extremely negative effect of rent reg on the quantity of rental housing available - the massive conversions of rentals to co-ops was a DIRECT result of rent reg. How many hundreds of thousands of rental apartments were taken off the market??? That lowered the supply of rentals and thus increased market rents.

Still waiting for rent reg advocates, can't find any source (even one) worthwhile to support your position?

And one more point regarding comments supporting rent reg. Since when did caring for the poor and unemployed go from society's responsibility to the shoulder's of one private industry? Is the corner grocery store forced to sell food to some people at half price?

Last edited by lamontnow; 06-26-2009 at 12:44 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 12:37 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
For unemployed and very low income tenants any increase is too much.
I agree with mathjak107, that is not our problem nor is our responsibility to be paying inflated market prices to support others paying 50% and even lower the market value.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
In a survey published in 1992, 76.3 percent of the economists surveyed agreed with the statement: “A ceiling on rents reduces the quality and quantity of housing available.” Thanks, Grenoble, I didn't see that one.

And mathjak, you reminded me of another extremely negative effect of rent reg on the quantity of rental housing available - the massive conversions of rentals to co-ops was a DIRECT result of rent reg. How many hundreds of thousands of rental apartments were taken off the market??? That lowered the supply of rentals and thus increased market rents.

Still waiting for rent reg advocates, can't find any source (even one) worthwhile to support your position?

And one more point regarding comments supporting rent reg. Since when did caring for the poor and unemployed go from society's responsibility to the shoulder's of one private industry? Is the corner grocery store forced to sell food to some people at half price?
AS time went on and landlords realized they were duped into signing up for rent stabilization, an out was needed to get out from the below market rents and broken promises and so the co-op craze was the answer... a way to permanely degregulate a building once the origional tenant was gone... and with it thousands of rentals....

in fact i know of not one rental built in nyc or the boros in 30 years that wasnt a luxury or low income building

Old 06-26-2009, 02:52 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times
Quote:
The job doesn't have to look pretty, as long as the appliance, cabinet, etc is functionable, then I have met my legal obligations
Although I can sympathize, doing the bare minimum does no-one any good.

It may be too late now, but you may ant to try to establish some sort of relation with the RC'd tenants in the realm of them wanting to help you out to keep their space nicer.

One of our friends was the type that woul feel guilty asking her landlord for anythnig, so SHE would paint the walls, and replace the lineoleum!!!!

It may require a bit of financial risk (like buying better tile and givnig it to them to install, only to find them selling the tile and dealing with the defective stuff) but you may end up with people that ADD to the value of your property rather than subtract.

I am, in no way, saying that you are a despot and are doing everything incorrectly, but just that sometimes it requires a little pain to get the results you want in life..... (A lesson learned by many, but practiced by few).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City