Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:38 PM

341 posts, read 452,471 times

Advertisements

I'm asking because my college is located there..and I will probably be working near Yankee Stadium.

Right now, my partner and I are renting a basement apartment from his parents....his folks and siblings live upstairs. We are paying near market value...but yeah..short story..I need my privacy! LOL. I'm not cool with the family walking in and out of my apartment..even if they only do it once in a blue moon. Perhaps that is a personality trait of mine. Plus, they don't discipline their flippin' kids so we must hear them running/stomping around until 1am..and then again at 7am...oh..did I mention I am also not fond of the Bachata karaoke being blasted at 9am on Saturday mornings?

HAHA..ok..enough of that. I was looking at places in The Bronx..and I would like to rent something that doesn't have an income bracket...or preferably accept programs. I make "too much" to qualify for that, and I don't want to live somewhere that accepts it...personal choice. I really don't make "too much" but I am over the bracket.

I'm just looking for something decent for my partner and I. I mean..I know a lot of people talk poorly about The Bronx..but I am cool with the neighborhood so long as I can walk home at 8pm without having something horrific happen to me....which I would assume wouldn't happen if you keep to yourself...hmmm?

Do apartments for less than $850/month even exist anymore? I just want a place where I actually feel I have some rights. If someone is being super loud, I won't have to feel bad about knocking on their door and asking them to tone it down..or perhaps tell the manager (hopefully they do something lol). I'm SICK of living with my partners family..it's way too convenient for them to have us watch the bratty kids or do all kinds of crap last minute for them. Bless their heart...good people..but this is just not ideal..if I am going to pay nearly full rent somewhere..I want more privacy than this. Not really a bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 03:44 PM

141 posts, read 340,176 times
its gonna be hard i been looking for same, most i contacted ended up being scammers. some exist but finding one that dont take sec 8 is gonna be harder as thats pretty much the bottome line price for apts,and thats in bx.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2kay View Post
its gonna be hard i been looking for same, most i contacted ended up being scammers. some exist but finding one that dont take sec 8 is gonna be harder as thats pretty much the bottome line price for apts,and thats in bx.

I don't want to sound snobby, but the only reason I didn't want an apt. that accepted that is because they usually seem to have "issues". IDK.
If there are places that accept all kinds of welfare programs, but they have good management, are safe, clean, and have respectful neighbors..then I really don't mind renting there at all.

I was just shocked that you can't even find anything in The Bronx for less than $900 anymore...for the mostpart.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:10 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
I don't want to sound snobby, but the only reason I didn't want an apt. that accepted that is because they usually seem to have "issues". IDK.
If there are places that accept all kinds of welfare programs, but they have good management, are safe, clean, and have respectful neighbors..then I really don't mind renting there at all.

I was just shocked that you can't even find anything in The Bronx for less than $900 anymore...for the mostpart.
its going to be extremely hard to find a 1 bedroom for less than $850 in the bronx.....a studio...maybe. but its going to be really hard, like others have mentioned to find that kind of price in an average building. and when i say average i mean no crazy neighbors and clean hallways and working elevator. its just the reality of living in nyc. the only place i've seen like a 1 bedroom in a building for $650 thats even remotely close to nyc is newark, nj.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-27-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
its going to be extremely hard to find a 1 bedroom for less than $850 in the bronx.....a studio...maybe. but its going to be really hard, like others have mentioned to find that kind of price in an average building. and when i say average i mean no crazy neighbors and clean hallways and working elevator. its just the reality of living in nyc. the only place i've seen like a 1 bedroom in a building for $650 thats even remotely close to nyc is newark, nj.

Dang, I remember when I came here about 2 years ago it wasn't unheard of..it seems. What do you think a reasonable price would be to expect in The Bronx? Somewhere within 4-5 stops of the Yankee Stadium...as that is where my college is.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
Dang, I remember when I came here about 2 years ago it wasn't unheard of..it seems. What do you think a reasonable price would be to expect in The Bronx? Somewhere within 4-5 stops of the Yankee Stadium...as that is where my college is.
u can get a 1 bedroom for 800......but you're gonna be in the hood....there will be people smoking weed in front of your building and maybe loud music too.....its the bronx, u know? maybe even a roach or 2.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-27-2009, 07:36 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,063 times
5 years ago I found a 1 bedroom apt. in a private house for $700 in the allerton section of the bronx, and my rent stayed the same for the 5 yrs I was there, today, with the economy the way it is, it will be hard to find something $850 and under, your best bet would probably be a private house situation, but that would put you further north from where you want to be, good luck with your search.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:34 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default I'm renting

a studio in Riverdale for $894. Last lease i was paying $850. Bldg is rent stabilized, very clean, beautiful area

i

Old 06-27-2009, 09:47 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Less than $900 is a little more realistic, and yes you do find them. Just be patient.

I find that the market isn't as set in the Bronx as it is per se in Manhattan. There is a lot, a lot of variance in the prices, and it isn't always necessarily about the area. I've been surprised at some of the relatively high prices I've seen and heard of in areas that aren't very desireable. But on the flipside there are also good deals, you just have to do your research and be patient. Deals pop up. My rent is under $900 in the Bronx (Fordham) and the building is well managed (no loitering in front either) and quiet. It's "the hood" but once I walk into my building its very quiet and peaceful. I've been living there over 2 years, re-upped one more year, still under $900.

BTW I found it on Craigslist.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-27-2009 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: No links to competing websites, please -- thanks.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:56 AM

141 posts, read 340,176 times
like other have said for that price range can find private house apt in north bronx for around that price(saw on cl recently ), wont be in the hood either, but its in some1's house which is always a little diff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City