Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:42 PM

493 posts, read 665,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post

Yeah, it probably isn't families from Texas with 5 school-aged children padding those numbers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Unrealistic? What?? Not only did I grow up in a large family but I know dozens of large families. I know one man with 10 kids who supports all of them.

Large households may not be widespread in NYC, but I don't have to live up there to know that you can find them. Especially in the outer boroughs which seem to be dominated by families.

Families of 7 or larger are definitely widespread in the south. And that was the relevance of my post. As I stated, a fam of 7 living on 75K a year in the South would be middle class. I was simply trying to find out how they would be living in the Big Apple.
In the Big Apple there's a better chance than not that 5 children would never have happened in the first place, all else being equal. Simply too cost-prohibitive for most people of average means to do that (if they intended to maintain any respectable standard of living.) I think everyone in here understands you're hinting that maybe you're sick of TX and want to live someplace more exciting...and the suburbs in TX probably are lame by many people's standards, but reality is that you'd be putting your wants in front of the best interests of your kids by doing something cockamamie like moving them to New York on a relative shoestring budget. If you dream of living in New York that's great, mark your calender for when the last kid moves out or shoves off to college then go do whatever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 08:17 AM

83 posts, read 279,903 times
Quote:
I just simply want to know if you have a family of 2 working adults and 5 kids with a combined yearly income of about $75,000, where in the city do they live? down here in Texas thats middle class but what is it up there?
High-rises in Queens or the Bronx. Elizabeth. New Brunswick. Trenton. Perhaps illegally stuffed into an old house with 10 of your cousins up in White Plains or New Rochelle. Scenarios like this are why God created New Jersey.

You simply cannot have the KB homes suburban existence on the Eastern seaboard with that combined income, especially with 7 mouths to feed. That puts you on the cusp of relative poverty, and COMPLETELY prices you out of anything outside of rent-controlled property, unless you chose to live in Victorian-era squalor (and thousands do). I lived in Texas once - your idea of life would be turned on its ear and harshly kicked into the mud if a simple transplant of this kind where to occur.

IMHO, you would need to clear about $250K+ to give your 7(!) children something adequate, and you would still be WAY outside of Manhattan, if that is what you mean by "the city".

Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM

99 posts, read 212,921 times
It's doable, but QOL is going to be extremely low. We live in Manhattan, just 1 child and have a household income of $150K+ and there is no way in he// we would add to the family unless we either moved out of NY or made a LOT more money.

Again, it's doable, but why do it "just because you can" and sacrifice affording yourself the luxury to properly provide for your family.

Hypothetically.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Quote:
so basically what you all are saying is that there are no families of 7 in the city of New York living a normal lifestyle with less than a six figure income? Not even in Brooklyn or Queens?

For the most part,that would be true.

We have never lived in Manhattan, however,we have many,many friends who do and no way would they make it there on $75K w/children.
Not if you are talking rent/mortgage,food,activities for the kids,probably a private school,etc....

We lived in Jersey while working in the city before having children and we wouldn't have been able to pay our rent and do what we did on $75K a year.

I think that in order to live the "suburban" lifestyle that one is use to in Texas you need to go far,far away from the city....

With that said,NYC is a beautiful place and a great place to bring your children for the culture,etc... but it sounds like "you" (hypothetically as you say) are looking for a more surburban lifestyle.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:23 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
Yeah, it probably isn't families from Texas with 5 school-aged children padding those numbers though.

In the Big Apple there's a better chance than not that 5 children would never have happened in the first place, all else being equal. Simply too cost-prohibitive for most people of average means to do that (if they intended to maintain any respectable standard of living.) I think everyone in here understands you're hinting that maybe you're sick of TX and want to live someplace more exciting...and the suburbs in TX probably are lame by many people's standards, but reality is that you'd be putting your wants in front of the best interests of your kids by doing something cockamamie like moving them to New York on a relative shoestring budget. If you dream of living in New York that's great, mark your calender for when the last kid moves out or shoves off to college then go do whatever you want.
No, I think everyone except you understood that my post was a hypothetical scenario just for leisure interest. I have no kids, make less than 20K a year and have absolutely NO desire to move to New York (no offense). Texas is anything but lame and I love living here.

Even if I were the father of 5 kids making 75K, I would never do something so brainless as to pack up the family and just simply move to Nyc. Not unless of course I was offered a job up there (which wouldn't be likely for someone with a job paying only five figures).

Old 07-07-2009, 06:31 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,934 times
Quote:
No, I think everyone except you understood that my post was a hypothetical scenario just for leisure interest. I have no kids, make less than 20K a year and have absolutely NO desire to move to New York (no offense). Texas is anything but lame and I love living here.

Even if I were the father of 5 kids making 75K, I would never do something so brainless as to pack up the family and just simply move to Nyc. Not unless of course I was offered a job up there (which wouldn't be likely for someone with a job paying only five figures).
Ignore him. Posters that rant about how awesome NYC are most likely moved from someplace here, are young, and honestly believe that NYC is a pseudo-european city like San Francisco claims to be. Native New Yorkers are leaving the city in droves to go down to Texas and other areas of the south and west, despite denials otherwise.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM

Also, I probably should've specified. While a family of 7/$75K a year IS middle class in urban Texas, they're hardly leading "the good life." For one, the neighborhood they live in will barely qualify as the suburbs as crime and maybe even gangs in their area won't be uncommon, it will likely be a minority-majority area, they'll probably share subdivisions with some renters/section 8, and since they can't afford private school their children will likely be attending the area public school that's semi-crowded with less-than-qualified teachers. If their baby is going to a great college, they're going to get there by playing football, working their tail off for those academic scholarships/grants, or holding down a part-time job.

They will be fortunate and nowhere near poor, but any luxuries they want will have to come with big sacrifices. The family car (that was used when bought) will have to last them atleast 8 or 9, family vacations won't be anywhere out of the country and will only be every few years, and since the parents likely don't "come from money" their working class values, mannerisms, and lifestyle will be passed down to their children.

Of course there are exceptions but this would be the average situation.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 PM

111 posts, read 167,060 times
An unbiased answer:

A family of 7, making 75k a year, can certainly live in NYC. You can rent a small 3 BR/1 BA apartment (about $2,000 a month) in an "OK"/almost ghetto neighborhood in one of the outer boroughs. The public schools will be overcrowded and "ghetto," and most, if not all, of your neighbors will be minorities or recent immigrants.

You could probably afford an older car, and could only afford the minimum liability insurance. You will be shopping for bargains in the ghetto shopping areas and the hispanic supermarkets.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
An unbiased answer:

A family of 7, making 75k a year, can certainly live in NYC. You can rent a small 3 BR/1 BA apartment (about $2,000 a month) in an "OK"/almost ghetto neighborhood in one of the outer boroughs. The public schools will be overcrowded and "ghetto," and most, if not all, of your neighbors will be minorities or recent immigrants.

You could probably afford an older car, and could only afford the minimum liability insurance. You will be shopping for bargains in the ghetto shopping areas and the hispanic supermarkets.
I thought so. I assume the type of neighborhood youre talking about is one of those tree-lined streets with a WALL of those old short brownstone looking apartment buildings that i've seen in pictures and on television. If so, these type of communities are basically the "New York version" of the average working/middle class KB Home subdivision down South. And the lifestyles seem surprisingly similar.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 PM

493 posts, read 665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
Ignore him. Posters that rant about how awesome NYC are most likely moved from someplace here, are young, and honestly believe that NYC is a pseudo-european city like San Francisco claims to be. Native New Yorkers are leaving the city in droves to go down to Texas and other areas of the south and west, despite denials otherwise.
I told him it would be dumb to move to the damn place under his "hypothetical" scenario and had precisely zero praise for it. What's hard here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City