Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
And if the family isn't white?

KB Homes is that generic builder of cookie-cutter homes you'll see throughout the Sunbelt. And I'm not trying to directly compare it to anything in New York. When I said "New York version" I thought that statement implied the idea that any building in NY would be of much greater value and craftsmanship. What seemed comparable was the set-up and community of the neighborhoods that lbleu described.

As for the brownstones, I don't think that's what I'm talking about. I wish I was able to post a picture of the type of NY neighborhood I'm thinking of that way you could correct me if I'm wrong.
Like this?
Mod cut: copyright violation

Sorry - here is the link http://activerain.com/blogs/vjonesre first picture

Last edited by newtoli; 07-08-2009 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: copyright violation - you can post again using a link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 AM

111 posts, read 167,039 times
Quote:
The family could be of any color, but I will admit that if they were white they probably would pack up and move to an affordable, far-out (almost rural) suburb. And simply put up with the horrible commute times into the city.
There is no affordable "far-out" suburb in NYC for a family of 7 making 75k. There are some run-down areas in the outskirts of the Tri-state area, but they are just as ghetto, if not more, than NYC proper. Some towns in NJ and suffolk county, LI come to mind.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
Why exactly would you label me as a "newbie" in NYC by what I said?

Here was my exact response to the OP:

"
A family of 7, making 75k a year, can certainly live in NYC. You can rent a small 3 BR/1 BA apartment (about $2,000 a month) in an "OK"/almost ghetto neighborhood in one of the outer boroughs. The public schools will be overcrowded and "ghetto," and most, if not all, of your neighbors will be minorities or recent immigrants.

You could probably afford an older car, and could only afford the minimum liability insurance. You will be shopping for bargains in the ghetto shopping areas and the hispanic supermarkets.
"

The OP responded by saying that it would like on those brownstones he sees on TV. I'd say it would be more like the ghetto six story buildings in the Bronx and Brooklyn that they never show on TV.
The projects?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
There is no affordable "far-out" suburb in NYC for a family of 7 making 75k. There are some run-down areas in the outskirts of the Tri-state area, but they are just as ghetto, if not more, than NYC proper. Some towns in NJ and suffolk county, LI come to mind.
I know. I was talking about Texas.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I doubt, lebleua born and bred NYer, and consequently is talking from a (nice way to put it) newbie experience of a naive single trying to live life as a TV show (Seinfeld, Friends, SexNCity).

A white "family" does not and could not live as he suggests. Where would the kids go to school? They couldn't go to school, w/o coming home suicidal maniacs!
Why would I have assumed the family was white when I responded? Coming from a state like Texas, chances are just as likely that the family was Black or Hispanic. The OP never mentioned it.

And, yes, it would be very very difficult for a southern white middle class family to live in a predominately black neighborhood in NYC. But it is not physically impossible. If the family is in fact white, there are areas of the outside boroughs that may cater to them. It is not difficult to find a smallish 3 BR apartment in NE Queens for around $2000. The schools there are predominately White and Asian.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
The projects?
No, regular apartment buildings.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Why would I have assumed the family was white when I responded? Coming from a state like Texas, chances are just as likely that the family was Black or Hispanic. The OP never mentioned it.

And, yes, it would be very very difficult for a southern white middle class family to live in a predominately black neighborhood in NYC. But it is not physically impossible. If the family is in fact white, there are areas of the outside boroughs that may cater to them. It is not difficult to find a smallish 3 BR apartment in NE Queens for around $2000. The schools there are predominately White and Asian.
Well what specific difficulties would that white family face? especially if they're used to living around blacks?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Like this?
Mod cut: copyright violation

Sorry - here is the link Vennette's Blog first picture
Not exactly what I imagined but very similar, yes.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
There are some large families that do reside in NYC, especially those who are members of traditional religious faiths that tend to have a good number of children -- many with SAHMs as well. So, it's not that rare, but it's certainly not the predominant trend to have large families in NYC.

Also, for those who would be in a comparatively lower income bracket, which $75k would qualify with a family in NYC, many faith communities will assist them in raising their children, either through scholarships at religious schools, housing assistance, etc., so it's not an impossible situation for some, but they'd barely be middle class even with all the assistance/scholarships.

Such families are the exception, rather than the rule, however, and many families would have difficulty with one child and $75k in income, but that all depends upon neighborhood and lifestyle.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:56 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Actually, a family of seven with a $75,000 annual income qualifies for public housing in New York City.
ya that is low for a 2-income family...most people in NY prob make almost about that just by themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City