Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 AM

90 posts, read 421,665 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm considering moving out of my apartment when the lease is up (7/31) and am confused as to whether I have to give 30-days notice that I plan to move. The landlord has been really slow about sending renewal information. So I haven't had a real rent offer to respond to yet.

There's nothing in the original lease that says anything about renewing or giving notice of vacating. There is one clause in there that I had written in that says I can terminate the lease on 30 days notice for any reason.

Am I right in thinking that my obligations under the lease are just going to expire at the end of the month and that I don't really have to give any notice? Is there some other law governing this that I don't know about? My apartment is "rent stabilized" but I am being given a preferential rent (the legal rent is above $2,000).

I understand that during these 30 days, if I don't renew, the landlord might try to rent it to somebody else. I'm not concerned about that. I'm just concerned about losing a security deposit.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:47 PM

15 posts, read 83,214 times
You need to give the landlord a 30-days notice even though your lease is going to be terminate.

Normally, if it is not an automatic renewal, your landlord must give you an advance notice, 15-30 days before end of lease, about the new terms of the lease.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 20,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang.ny View Post
You need to give the landlord a 30-days notice even though your lease is going to be terminate.

Normally, if it is not an automatic renewal, your landlord must give you an advance notice, 15-30 days before end of lease, about the new terms of the lease.
What is the basis for this answer? Is there a state or city law that covers situations in which a lease contains no clause or stipulations regarding notice? The research I have done indicates that unless a least stipulates otherwise, that there is no minimum advanced notice on a term lease. On a month-to-month tenancy, there is a 30 day minimum.

I ask because I am in a similar situation; although officially, I did not receive a lease renewal offer until 2 days ago (and my lease ends on the 31st).

Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 15,917 times
what if i dont have a lease.do i still have to give the landlord a 30day notice?my reason for moving is tha she has another tenant that is brandishing pistols on the premises.do i have the right to move without notice out of fear.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 28,421 times
i dont have a lease for a whole yaer and i recently found mold in my apartment my kids have been hospitalised for breathing proplems dont know if i can move out anytime cuz it is dangerouse to our health or need the thirty day notice

Old 07-07-2010, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 28,421 times
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanIB View Post
What is the basis for this answer? Is there a state or city law that covers situations in which a lease contains no clause or stipulations regarding notice? The research I have done indicates that unless a least stipulates otherwise, that there is no minimum advanced notice on a term lease. On a month-to-month tenancy, there is a 30 day minimum.

I ask because I am in a similar situation; although officially, I did not receive a lease renewal offer until 2 days ago (and my lease ends on the 31st).
i belive this is true

Old 07-07-2010, 06:09 PM

979 posts, read 4,439,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang.ny View Post

No you don't. Your occupancy terminates on 7/31 with or without notifying the landlord. If this is an unregulated apartment then there is no legal obligation to inform the tenant of any new lease offers.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 PM

244 posts, read 662,690 times
He can keep your security and you won't be able to get it back.
My last landlord kept my security and I sued him in small claims,
but lost because I didn't have written 30 day notice.
Or just dont' pay the last months rent.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,864 times
hi
i gave 30 day notes on 1-13-2012 to move out i had a lease for one year in 2-2010 when it was up see said make a lease are mouth to mouth up to you. i said mouth to mouth . so first she said she would give refrains to the next house i rent but when the the apartment ask her to fell out a paper she said no!.and then said i cant give notes on the 1-13 only on the first of the mouth because im on a mouth to mouth not a day to day? is this wright? i live in az

Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 PM

17 posts, read 41,941 times
Generally if your lease doesnt state so, you are not obligated to give notice. Especially since they have not sent you any renewal notices.
However I think it is the courteous thing to do. It wouldnt hurt anything, and your landlord/management company would appreciate the heads up that way they are not faced with a vacancy
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City