Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:00 AM

221 posts, read 535,296 times

Advertisements

Hey, im going to NY in two days, and im not quite sure what to do there.

See, I was there last summer and we did all the touristy stuff then, so there is not much left to do except for non-touristy stuff, I guess.

Anyways, my father is into a lot of art (mostly paintings), so do you know about any good or known art galleries? We are already going to visit

-the Metropolitan (they have a section with paintings)
-Sothebys
-Christies

Which other art galleries would it be interesting for us to visit?

-----------------

Also, some of the other things we are going to do are:

-Walk over the Brooklyn Birdge and enjoy the view from Brooklyn (didn't get to do this last time)
-Maybe take a helicopter tour over Manhattan.
-Visit Brighton Beach in Brooklyn again (my dads from Russia lol)
-Eat pizza in Little Italy
-Chinese in Chinatown (?)
-Spend a lot of time in Central Park. Maybe visit the zoo etc.
-Spend time in Downtown (we barely got to visit this part last time!)
-Top of the Rock one more time (this was AMAZING)

So yeah, are there any other fun things we could do? I remember last time we visited Manhattan Mall it was being given a facelift so there wasn't really anything to do/see/shop.

We'll be arriving at the JFK, which im happy about, as that is the main airport of NYC. Newark just didnt feel right + Ive heard that the skyline looks crap from there (when driving towards the city). But to me, any skyline looks good, as i come from Norway

Am i right about JFK being the best airport to arrive at, as it gives you the best impression?

--------------------------------------

We'll be staying at the Jumeirah Essex House, as we love Central Park!! Anything I should know about this? I love how its so close to colombus circle and the apple store etc! (+ the rest of midtown, of course )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
If your going to walk the Brooklyn Bridge, stop by Grimaldi's Pizza in Brooklyn, it's a short walk from the birdge. They have much better pizza than any place in Little Italy, although be prepared for a wait to get a table.

If your dad likes art, I would suggest stopping by the Cloisters Museum in uptown as well. It is part of the Metropolitan Museum and is pretty nice in the summer.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
stroll through central park, stop and have a beer in sheep meadow, greatest manhattan outing you can do

Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 AM

thanks for the replies. the cruise seems cool

i checked out cloisters museum on the map, and it definitely seems like its too far away. i dont think we'll be bothered with that one.

what about Lincoln Center for the Perforiming Arts? I know its not focused on paintings, but does it have any interesting stuff to do except for just going to shows etc?

oh, and what about broadway shows? any good ones?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 18,827 times
Instead of Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge, think about Lombardi's in Little Italy (corner of Spring Street and Mott - Mott runs into Chinatown). Lombardi's is older - first licensed pizza place in U.S. and City, Grimaldi's has similar technique with pizza but is only about 10 years old! Lombardi's is from the early 1900s. A lot of good Chinese restaurants on Mott Street or Mulberry.

If you like beer, go to McSorley's Old Ale House on East 7th Street (6 train to Astor Place): only Light or Dark, McSorley's own, comes in pairs when you order one, everyone from Abraham Lincoln to John Lennon drank here, most authentic (and genuinely historic) bar in NYC. Go early in the afternoon if you can before the night crowds - gets really packed.\

If you're spending a lot of time in Brooklyn, go to Prospect Park - designed by the same people who designed Central Park, but considered by themselves to be their masterpiece - Prospect Park is the Central Park of Brooklyn. Go to Prospect Park if you want to relax, Central Park if you want to "do things". Prospect Park is more relaxed, Central Park more on-the-go.

P.S. My great-grandmother came to New York from outside of Oslo in the early 1900s. The neighborhood of Bay Ridge in Brooklyn (where my mother and uncle grew up) celebrates Norwegian Constitution Day on May 17th.

Take the subway as much as possible. It will save you on time and money.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker1986 View Post
Instead of Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge, think about Lombardi's in Little Italy (corner of Spring Street and Mott - Mott runs into Chinatown). Lombardi's is older - first licensed pizza place in U.S. and City, Grimaldi's has similar technique with pizza but is only about 10 years old! Lombardi's is from the early 1900s. A lot of good Chinese restaurants on Mott Street or Mulberry.

If you like beer, go to McSorley's Old Ale House on East 7th Street (6 train to Astor Place): only Light or Dark, McSorley's own, comes in pairs when you order one, everyone from Abraham Lincoln to John Lennon drank here, most authentic (and genuinely historic) bar in NYC. Go early in the afternoon if you can before the night crowds - gets really packed.\

If you're spending a lot of time in Brooklyn, go to Prospect Park - designed by the same people who designed Central Park, but considered by themselves to be their masterpiece - Prospect Park is the Central Park of Brooklyn. Go to Prospect Park if you want to relax, Central Park if you want to "do things". Prospect Park is more relaxed, Central Park more on-the-go.

P.S. My great-grandmother came to New York from outside of Oslo in the early 1900s. The neighborhood of Bay Ridge in Brooklyn (where my mother and uncle grew up) celebrates Norwegian Constitution Day on May 17th.

Take the subway as much as possible. It will save you on time and money.
Thanks a lot!
Do you know about any other places where celebs etc like(d) to hang out?

And are there a lot of scandinavians in that place in Brooklyn? Any scandinavian shops etc??

Old 07-02-2009, 03:01 AM

bump. leaving tomorrow!

Old 07-02-2009, 04:02 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
Have a wonderful time and stay safe.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:31 AM

thank you ill be staying in midtown, which ive heard is pretty safe

Old 07-02-2009, 12:49 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
That is where we stayed, we were at the Holiday Inn Midtown 57th and 9th I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City