Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:10 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,970,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryh1977 View Post
My husband and I are planning to move to NYC in October. We are interested in renting a studio or 1 bedroom in Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx and can spend about $1200 per month. All of the advice on here is helpful regarding walking the neighborhoods where you want to live, craigslist, subletting, using a broker or not, etc., but there is one question I'd love to get some input on: where you live while you're LOOKING for an apartment? I've read that it can often take several weeks to find an apartment, so what do you do in the meantime? What do you do with your stuff? We are moving from the southwestern US and will not be coming with a moving truck - just mainly clothes, books and kitchen stuff. Any strategies on how to handle this logistical nightmare? Hotels are expensive and we'd rather not spend $2500 of our savings to stay in a hotel for 2 weeks while we find an apartment. Surely not everyone who moves to NYC has a friend or family member with an empty couch (we don't)! We have considered renting "sight unseen" through the help of a broker, but we're concerned about the cost of that, too. Unless this might be the best way to go?
I hope you at least have some idea of the different boroughs and neighborhoods so you can narrow your search down to a couple of neighborhoods. Then, I think you are going to have to come at least for a few days in September( without much baggage) and find a place and sign for October occupancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 AM

90 posts, read 284,968 times
Quote:
My husband and I are planning to move to NYC in October. We are interested in renting a studio or 1 bedroom in Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx and can spend about $1200 per month. All of the advice on here is helpful regarding walking the neighborhoods where you want to live, craigslist, subletting, using a broker or not, etc., but there is one question I'd love to get some input on: where you live while you're LOOKING for an apartment? I've read that it can often take several weeks to find an apartment, so what do you do in the meantime? What do you do with your stuff? We are moving from the southwestern US and will not be coming with a moving truck - just mainly clothes, books and kitchen stuff. Any strategies on how to handle this logistical nightmare? Hotels are expensive and we'd rather not spend $2500 of our savings to stay in a hotel for 2 weeks while we find an apartment. Surely not everyone who moves to NYC has a friend or family member with an empty couch (we don't)! We have considered renting "sight unseen" through the help of a broker, but we're concerned about the cost of that, too. Unless this might be the best way to go?
Use internet to find out the neighborhoods you want to stay in and what apartments go for in these areas. Mod cut: no competing sites, per TOSto have the idea what's out there and to find out the names/websites of the major broker companies serving my area. Basically, you can do your research remotely to have a very good idea what you can get. You can also start calling some listings and talking to people. If you work with the broker they may take more pictures or even a video of a place if you are comfortable with signing the lease "sight unseen". I heard of someone who had done this.

I personally would do what other posters suggested - do your research online beforehand, then travel here for a weekend to look around and hopefully have some appointments lined up for that weekend. You should be able to find something during your 3 day stay, signing the documents can happen over distance via fax if you run out of time.

As far as staying here while you look, you have only few options: hotel, corporate apartment or a sublet. You don't have to stay in Manhattan where hotels are most expensive, but still you will probably spend the most staying in a hotel if you are planning to stay for the entire month. We used corporate housing (which is a bit cheaper than a hotel, but still extremely expensive). The cheapest option would be a sublet - renting someone's apartment temporarily while they are away on vacation. You can find these on craigslist, but they aren't easy to find for a specific period of time in a specific area. Also, if you move right away with all your stuff you will make it more difficult and expensive having to store your stuff somewhere while you look and then move it again from storage to your new unit.

hope you find the place you like!

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-07-2009 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: TOS violation

Old 07-07-2009, 10:04 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,421,134 times
Quote:
You are moving to NYC. Its very expensive and there are no miracles. As long as you remember this basic rule your landing will be softer. Saying "we'd rather not spend $2500 of our savings" is not going to help. Of course you'd rather not spend, but the sooner you adjust to reality the better for you. Overall $2500 is not a big deal in NYC.
That being said, there is another approach you can take. You may be able to find an apartment (anywhere in Queens, Brooklyn, etc) that is rented month by month. The closer to the subway the better. Rent one of these before you arrive (just make sure there is enough space for your stuff) and that will be your anchoring point for the first month. From there you can conduct your search, taking your time until you find the right place for you.
Good luck with your move!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:15 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,912,657 times
I went thru this myself. My first apt was a basement rental in a private house. I hated it. No privacy what so ever! I then searched on my own. Soon I started to get mad. I could not find anything. I then used some brokers. I find them very helpful. If your looking to move in a high rise, like I was, brokers are the best. They work with management companies directly, unlike people listing apts in their homes, or runned down buildings they own. After looking at about 50 apts with brokers, I settled with a broker in Brooklyn. The first apt he showed me had be sold. His fee was 1 months rent. 10 years later. I am still here!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,897 times
you can find companies that are no fee companies. Unless you go through the building itself, i would probably suggest a broker or some sort of agency. Much safer than craigslist...heard lots of horror stories about craigslist rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City