Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:38 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,800,438 times

Advertisements

It is HARDLY WWII action...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 07:58 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,328,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoral View Post
I love New York - and love is not a word I use much, like is more appropriate for almost everything.I like good food, the sea and the fall foliage in new England and I love New York.
Few people who leave NY are happier in the place they move even if it is cheaper, quieter,have a bigger house or paycheck.
But it is true, there is a paradox- few people living in NY are happy.
The work's stress, the terrible commute, the small apartments make many people look/feel unhappy and they react accordingly.
There is also the American puritanism and fear of misunderstanding, few men have the courage to look a woman in the eyes or smile to her and the ones who did are in general Europeans, new in the city. People are tired, stressed, afraid of interaction. Because of that they live alone, take the laptop at Starbucks, run miles after miles, spend fortunes with the shrinks etc, etc. I will not define the attitude because I am sure many people will feel offended- you see, I react like a New Yorker, I am afraid I will be misunderstood. It is a sad situation and I don't know the solution.
This is so true, it's not even funny.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:47 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,980,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
It is HARDLY WWII action...
You're right... how can I compare what it is like living in NYC to actual an actual wartime experience? I realized that now as I am re-reading what I wrote. What I really meant to communicate was the sort of thing you see in war movies- the aspect of people rushing around quickly, darting here and there, avoiding danger, loud noises, unexpected obstructions. Living in NYC is like that- noisy, fast, unpredictable, and highly precarious at times.

I mean no disrespect to those who served in WWII. You guys have done our nation a great service. I will never understand what it is like to be in war (haven't served) until I actually have been. Please excuse my careless choice of words.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:49 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,370,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm beginning to think that this "New Yorkers aren't friendly" business originated with tourists who had some kind of bad experience. As far as I can tell--and I was only born in this town--we're at least as friendly as people in any other city...if not moreso.
That's not even remotely true. Take a trip to the next biggest city in the US and see for yourself.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:15 PM

9 posts, read 20,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
That's not even remotely true. Take a trip to the next biggest city in the US and see for yourself.

I agree. After being here for about 6 weeks now, I can tell that many New Yorkers ARE rude, at least in the Midtown area.

I lived in different parts of Los Angeles for many years and there is a big difference in attitudes. People in LA/Orange County are more laid back, tolerant, welcoming. I'm from a European country and not many Europeans in LA but they are still more welcoming overall IMHO.

Of course, there are so many people and all kinds of cultures in NYC and they have their own lifestyles, beliefs etc etc that maybe they don't consider their behavior rude while others may think they're obnoxious or rude.

For anyone who wants to move to NYC: People like to talk s*hit! Envious people like to talk s*hit for NO REASON at all, and there is an abundance of them in NYC.

NEVER take anyone's comments too seriously and you'll be fine!

Just my experience. My observation. I'm not saying that there isn't any nice people in NYC (lol), of course there is, I just haven't seen any... just kidding, I think I have seen 5 or 6 nice people so far. ....

Old 10-02-2009, 09:49 PM

8 posts, read 13,011 times
yes some are

Old 10-03-2009, 11:20 PM

169 posts, read 496,793 times
New Yorkers are extremely, extremely, extremely friendly. You just have to break the thin layer of ice. New Yorkers make the best conversation.

How do I know? Personal experience.

Long Island, however... different story. Kind of embarrassing how rude some Long Islanders can be.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:57 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
Ive had several instances where on a weekend I'd be looking at a subway map and locals asked me if I needed help. My funniest moment was when I told the guy I was local and just trying to figure out how to get to Queens.. he made a comment about Queens and a woman from Queens said "watch it buddy" and she showed me how to get to where I wanted to go on the map.

Once in the subway this guy passed out and several people helped him. Loosened his tie, gave him water and made sure he was okay. And NO he was not robbed.

If you are walking in the city during rush hour in midtown or wall street, people aren;t being rude.. they are trying to get to work.

But otherwise New Yorkers are just people. Some nice and others not so. Having travelled to 46 states and over 40 countries.. I've found this to be the case.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:33 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,328,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoozi View Post
New Yorkers are extremely, extremely, extremely friendly. You just have to break the thin layer of ice. New Yorkers make the best conversation.

How do I know? Personal experience.

Long Island, however... different story. Kind of embarrassing how rude some Long Islanders can be.
fyi: Long Islanders are New Yorkers too.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:03 PM

218 posts, read 739,162 times
Wow... some interesting posts here! Well, at least in MY own experience, everyone I ever encountered was more than friendly to me... FAR more than anyone in Los Angeles. Here are just a couple examples:

During my first trip there in 2004, I was walking down Hudson Street, and unbeknown to me, the key to my hostel locker fell out of my pocket. I would not have even known, if a nice man had not ran up to me, and asked me if I had lost a key. I was absolutely amazed... the guy actually took the time to stop me, and return my key! In LA, if that had happened, nobody would have cared one bit. I thanked the man, and continued on my way. But to this day, I remember the gesture.

One other instance, during the same trip in 2004, I forgot exactly where it was that this happened, but at some point, I was standing at a corner, with a small pocket map out. I was just trying to get my bearings real quick, because I was trying to locate a particular business. A very nice, old lady walking by stopped beside me, and asked me if I was lost, or needed any help finding something. I was touched by her offer, but I didn't want to keep her from her day's business, so I thanked her, but told her I was okay. Again, if that had been LA, I probably would have been mugged or worse, lol. Again, it was a simple offer, but I remember that she made the gesture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City