Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:59 AM

257 posts, read 823,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I think that's a little debatable, it seems like people aren't as friendly here, BUT they also want to get things done. You can go to a lot of other states and see people who just lounge around and take their time with things, do you know what I mean?
I think customer service is getting things done in a timely manner without being an Moderator cut: language. I've experienced many customer service ppl in nyc that are slow AND rude. Usually, it is related to the business not having a systematic process for bringing people in an out efficiently.

I have not noticed a lower quality of service in sit down restaurants. It probably something to do with their income being affected by their attitude. I have also noticed a little more niceness w/ the downturn of the economy. Also, when someone seems to be Moderator cut: language, I approach them with a big out of towner HELLO and smile. Generally, this catches them off guard and I get a little nicer response than I would have.

Anyway, I would take fast and rude over nice and slow. That is why I live here (among other reasons). But, the standard for customer service undeniably different than the majority of the rest of the country.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-03-2009 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:51 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,518,634 times
I like to think people are people but living in NY and then Texas there is a big difference. IN NYC if you make eye contact with someone on the street - they think you may be nuts or dangerous. In Texas if you don't actually say "Hello" they think you are stuck up or unfriendly.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:54 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I like to think people are people but living in NY and then Texas there is a big difference. IN NYC if you make eye contact with someone on the street - they think you may be nuts or dangerous. In Texas if you don't actually say "Hello" they think you are stuck up or unfriendly.
Hi, thanks for spreading the untrue stereotype that eye contact is completely illegal in New York. This is not true at all, and has been dis-proven in multiple threads. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:56 AM

922 posts, read 3,860,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delg23 View Post
But, the standard for customer service undeniably different than the majority of the rest of the country.
This is probably the only place in the country where it is considered acceptable for cashiers and other service employees to yell out "NEXT" when serving customers. If a cashier did that anywhere else in the country they'd probably be fired on the spot because it comes across as very rude.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:10 AM

257 posts, read 823,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
This is probably the only place in the country where it is considered acceptable for cashiers and other service employees to yell out "NEXT" when serving customers. If a cashier did that anywhere else in the country they'd probably be fired on the spot because it comes across as very rude.
yes yes yes!! thank you!

Old 07-03-2009, 10:14 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,039,842 times
Yes NYC is a very competitive city to live. There is a reason why they say if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. Politeness, sentimentality and kindness are not great traits to have in this Darwinian urban jungle.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:20 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,391 times
Lets face it people, NYC is rude, is famous for being rude and it always going to be rude.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
IN NYC if you make eye contact with someone on the street - they think you may be nuts or dangerous.
... or trying to pick them up.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:12 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times
I think we're friendly to strangers/visitors and neighbors for the most part. And brutal to each other in our everyday dealings.

Ooh - I mean YOU. I'm not a NYer anymore, I just play one on weekdays.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:45 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
What some consider rude others consider efficient. I'm grateful for a cashier that can keep the line moving. Do you know what I consider rude? People who dawdle and hold hold up a line: taking on the phone, being indecisive, changing an order, searching for money, etc. That's rude because it wastes other people's time.

New Yorkers are very nice people but we're very impatient. I only get nasty when people waste my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City