Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:46 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times

Advertisements

I have a theory about 'rude New Yorkers'.

It's not REALLY actual New Yorkers that are being rude to all the tourists from the square states. It's harried NJ (like me) and CT commuters. Tourists most often converge on places like Times Square/theater district, Herald Square, Madison Square Garden and the WTC site. All of these locations are major commuter transportation hubs: Port Authority, PATH and Penn Station. I think even without hordes of saucer-eyed tourists walking 4 abreast at 5 feet per hour, the sidewalks would be frenzied. I know they are in these areas to have fun and marvel at all the bright lights & sights, but the commuters around them are in commuter mode--impatient, worried about missing that train/bus, pissed off about what happened at work, etc. etc.

I am guilty of scowling, rolling my eyes, muttering and sighing loudly at people in and around Times Square, Herald Square and around the PATH down by the WTC. People probably thought I was your typical 'rude New Yorker', but SURPRISE! I'm a rude New Jerseyan.

(Sorry, NY, that you have to be the fall guy for my rudeness. If it's any consolation, my punishment is that I live in NJ.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,893 times
Most New Yorkers are just in a hurry and aren't interested in talking. I think you can't judge new yorkers as being rude if they look angry on the subway, or bump into you on the street or don't smile at you. Its best to meet a New yorker when they aren't hurried, like at a resturant or at intermission during a Broadway play. Talking and trying to meet somebody on the subway tends to be unsuccessful. I would say they are independent NOT rude

Old 07-03-2009, 01:09 PM

454 posts, read 795,973 times
As a New Yorker living in New England now, I'd say people in nyc are curt - there's premium on efficiency. One on one, I think folks are pretty friendly and outgoing.

I think it all has to do with how you define "friendly".

Old 07-03-2009, 01:36 PM

257 posts, read 824,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
What some consider rude others consider efficient. I'm grateful for a cashier that can keep the line moving. Do you know what I consider rude? People who dawdle and hold hold up a line: taking on the phone, being indecisive, changing an order, searching for money, etc. That's rude because it wastes other people's time.

New Yorkers are very nice people but we're very impatient. I only get nasty when people waste my time.
I agree. Those people Moderator cut: language me off too. I'm pretty freaken fast though. I don't like when they say next while I"m signing my freaking credit card receipt and then someone shoves me. Also strategic placement of the cash register can make it so its easy to have 2ppl there at once. One place they are EXTREMELY fast, but not rude is Pergola on 39th between broadway and 6th. They are the perfect NYC establishment for speediness w/ out rudeness in my opinion. They even provide you w/ all of your eating accessories...napkins, forks, soy sauce, etc.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-03-2009 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 07-03-2009, 03:55 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
What some consider rude others consider efficient. I'm grateful for a cashier that can keep the line moving. Do you know what I consider rude? People who dawdle and hold hold up a line: taking on the phone, being indecisive, changing an order, searching for money, etc. That's rude because it wastes other people's time.

New Yorkers are very nice people but we're very impatient. I only get nasty when people waste my time.
Everyone everywhere appreciates a fast-moving cashier, but saying "Next customer please" moves the line along just as efficiently as yelling "NEXT", unless you place a premium on the extra 3/4ths of a second it takes to say it. In this case, make sure you step up immediately when you near the first word, "Next..." and you can rest assured that your time wasn't wasted.

In my original most, I simply made an observation that yelling "NEXT" is a unique aspect of NYC behavior that gives visitors the impression that NYers are rude, because it is not tolerated elsewhere.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:00 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentina86 View Post
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start of my first post about an argument I had with someone about New York people being rude. lol. I grew up on Long Island, then moved into the city (Greenwich Village) a few years ago.

My brother had some friends visiting from Chicago and before they left I was asking them how they enjoyed their time here. They said that they found New York people to be extremely rude - everyone from police officers, to waiters, to hotel employees, etc. They said that people seemed annoyed when they had questions and did not seem friendly overall.

I am shocked. Am I biased because I am a New Yorker, or is this the true experience that people have when they visit the city?
NOT AT ALL They as nasty as they come

Old 07-03-2009, 04:24 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,075 times
I disagree. Here is a video I found of how helpful New Yorkers are to tourists.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:50 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
I honestly feel Ny’ers are, as many have said, not rude but busy. Actually I’ve found NY’ers to be much more genuine than anywhere else.

I lived in Chicago for a number of years and I can say “hands down” that NY’ers are not generally rude, at least when compared to Chicago. This is just my personal experience, but many people in Chicago seem to have a chip on their shoulder for some reason. On more than a few occasions that attitude almost appeared overly intentional, like it was cool or something???

It is not my intention to insult any one, but have any of you found that generally the Midwestern (hipsters??) transplants actually can be terribly rude?? I believe they do so intentionally to live up to some “hype” in order to fit in. It’s sad that they seem to buy in to that when real NY’ers are nothing about being rude, at least not intentionally rude.

I believe that people read people subconsciously all the time, you put rude out you will receive the same. That might be an over simplified statement but then again the concept of being a pleasant human being is really not that complicated.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:27 PM

23 posts, read 69,590 times
After living in the city for about a year and originally coming from Alaska, I think New Yorkers are very friendly! I lived in Austin for awhile I couldn't stand the fact that every single person I came in to contact with wanted to bs about the weather or chit chat. I don't really wanna chat when I'm trying to get things done and I don't know you. Frankly, I'm not trying to make friends at the grocery store. I also have found New Yorkers to be more genuine when you do get to know each other and also easier to strike up conversations with in social settings. I live in midtown west and I actually know most of my neighbors. I also agree with the transplant idea even though I am one. By far the rudest people I've come across here were tourists in the times square area...like that's how you need to be so people will think that you aren''t a tourist. Crazy.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:55 PM

58 posts, read 170,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
A lot of people here on CD outside of NY like to assume NYers are rude. I read trip reviews from people, and most say that we're friendlier than the people where they live.

But customer service people are in fact rude. When I go grocery shopping, the person ringing up my stuff won't say hi or even look at me. I just moved to Nassau county on Long Island, and customer service people here are WAY friendlier.

Let me say that I'm not from NYC and have never visited. As far as customer service...people in Champaign-Urbana, IL (pop 300,000 ish) don't greet you at the store or look at you too much either. Customer service sucks all over. As far as the average person, it doesn't pay to be nice here because you could hold the door for someone and they don't say thank you. People are rude everywhere and I've been to Chicago. I have yet to see random strangers smiling or greeting me. That goes those that work at the stores as well.

Edit: People in IL have problems. It's the corn.

Last edited by ABiologyTeacher; 07-03-2009 at 11:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City