U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:10 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,195,936 times

Advertisements

Yixi, that is one heckuva great post. My sentiments exactly...

While on the one hand I don't "care" so much as long as no one bothers me or my loved ones, I have ceased to find the novelty of this behavior very charming.

I came to know a few people like this and it is not hip, glamorous, or admirable. Those who climb outta the ghetto and go on to music or other arts/political/whatever careers which reflect some of their background while providing a positive message to others are good in my estimate.

But too many people black, white, and polkadotted, from the top on down, do not provide good role models for anyone. There are small time gangstas and big time white collar thieves, and the latter usually ruins more lives and should definitely "know better."

The folks I met were poor and had disadvantages but on the other hand did have choices. I and most people have had some difficulties and struggles in their life, but it's really too bad that education and fatherhood as well as birth control and marriage or sticking it out in a relationship are so underrated today.

So there's a whole ghetto culture of mysogyny, disrespect for education, reverence of being a hustla, a mistrust of everyone--even family and "friends," and a seeming eagerness to live up to the very sterotypes that tend to engender "profiling."

I am not a snob, despite my education, but then again I've learned to cool the naieve "kumbaya" stuff. Pres Obama is a role model for everyone, IMO, and he does not deny anything in his youth, but there are choices one makes which though difficult are necessary to lead a decent life...meaning a life where you take a certain measure of responsibility and give and receive respect without resorting to gangsta/hustla posing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 06:13 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,195,936 times
Just had to add that it seems to be a generational thing to some extent. We're so wrapped up in our cell phones, emails, computer gaming, and other devices that face to face interaction seems to be a lost art form.

I also don't think I need to hear everyone's business discussed in loud voices/yelling etc on the street. People seem to think it's a source of pride. Not to say that I've never had a loud argument, but a lotta people of all races just love to yap on their cells as if they are the only ones in the world. And in a sense thanks to the technology, they "are..."

Old 07-13-2009, 01:14 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,811,916 times
EB,

I am always tempted to start conversing with the person that is talking that loud, especially when you can hear the person on the other side as well.

Amazing how offended they get when you first butt in, and how embarassed they are when they realize you heard everything!

Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,406,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yixi View Post
have had the experience that BeNicePlease had in a Brooklyn park in France, Greece, the UK
Really? They listen to rap and wear their pants off their ass over there too?

Old 07-13-2009, 02:11 PM

33 posts, read 95,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

:-)
I, like most of us here, don't mind and understand the right of an individual who finds pleasure listening to that genre of music as long as when the headphones are off this person acts as a respectful, considerate and responsible citizen.(and the person is not blasting it on a radio on the subway while I'm attempting to ignore the intrusion and read) I do not like or tolerate some of the lyrics, the message nor the delivery and that type of music is not allowed to be played at home or in the car.

I was watching a G rated Disney movie yesterday with my 6 and 9 year old and parts of the movie showed rapping (innocent lyrics of course but the attitude was there in full force) and some questionable styles of dancing (the teenage girl was shaking what she shouldn't have been shaking) and I wondered to myself....."goodness, it's even on Disney, is there any escape to this type of influence no matter where you live????" .

Old 07-13-2009, 04:05 PM

40,054 posts, read 31,025,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNicePlease View Post
I was watching a G rated Disney movie yesterday with my 6 and 9 year old and parts of the movie showed rapping (innocent lyrics of course but the attitude was there in full force) and some questionable styles of dancing (the teenage girl was shaking what she shouldn't have been shaking) and I wondered to myself....."goodness, it's even on Disney, is there any escape to this type of influence no matter where you live????" .
Television stations, and that includes broadcast as well as cable, will try to go just exactly as far as they can. Believe me, if concerned parents started a letter-writing campaign to Disney, questionable scenes would disappear from their shows. So long as they think their programming is being met with complete approval from their audience, they'll continue to "push the envelope" further and further.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:07 AM

16 posts, read 65,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Yixi, that is one heckuva great post. My sentiments exactly...

So there's a whole ghetto culture of mysogyny, disrespect for education, reverence of being a hustla, a mistrust of everyone--even family and "friends," and a seeming eagerness to live up to the very sterotypes that tend to engender "profiling."

I am not a snob, despite my education, but then again I've learned to cool the naieve "kumbaya" stuff. Pres Obama is a role model for everyone, IMO, and he does not deny anything in his youth, but there are choices one makes which though difficult are necessary to lead a decent life...meaning a life where you take a certain measure of responsibility and give and receive respect without resorting to gangsta/hustla posing.

Thanks, EB, I'm glad it resonated with you .

So sad and so true. And this "ghetto culture" is killing lots of people (literally and spiritually). So much time is wasted, as are potential and talent. The saddest part is that residents in entire neighborhoods are essentially being held hostage by the behaviors associated with the "ghetto culture." That silly "quit snitchin'" credo comes to mind. Thugs terrorize their neighborhoods and people are too afraid to tell or made to believe that telling is not cool. Defeatist attitudes rein at a high price.

I could not agree with you more. Too many people refuse to take responsibility for their choices and actions but rather look for external excuses to explain poor decision making. You do not sound like a snob at all; you sound like you have standards .

Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 AM

16 posts, read 65,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Yes, and it evokes the same feelings of frustration in me when I experience it. The only difference is that they are babbling on in a language other than English. For years, one of the most popular rap groups in France was called Moderator cut: language your mother. It is not just in the US. No way.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-14-2009 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,811,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNicePlease View Post
I do not like or tolerate some of the lyrics, the message nor the delivery and that type of music is not allowed to be played at home or in the car.
You mean you do not like lyrics like:

Mod cut: not appropriate

(I kid you not. One guy was having a family picnic ina park in Queens. We were playinga softball game there with teh league. He had a whole DJ setup going, and one of the songs was just that, with all the little kids around.

WTH? )

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-14-2009 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Not appropriate

Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 AM

33 posts, read 95,147 times
This is the reason I want to move from Brooklyn to Rockland. I don't know if the mods will allow this but if anyone has some time to read my last question on moving and the dilemma it poses to the grandparents I'd really appreciate it. (It's short, I promise)

I was so dismayed while watching that Disney movie and seeing my little girl try to mimic that move. I actually told her that dancing is a beautiful art, but that some people have different interpretations of what "art" means and this "shaking the private area" dance is NOT beautiful nor appropriate nor particularly artful. I don't like it I told her (she's 6). She just shrugged and kept watching. It was only one scene and I didn't want to shut it off b/c I can just hear my husband say .."Is there no end to your sheltering, it's Disney for crying out loud!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City