Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 04:16 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times

Advertisements

I am quite dismayed by the events in Albany...it's been a disgraceful situation for a long time but this is just too much...who ever dreamed there would be a coup in our country, let alone our city?

Legislation pending has been delayed (or trashed) and my understanding is that the city will lose millions in funds that should have been ours. Plus important legislation, including tenants' rights, has also been affected.

I am especially incensed at the misbehavior of Bronx politicos who have made a mockery of their job of representing their constiuents. Many members of the Bronx political "machine" are Latino, and IMO have betrayed some of the poorest residents of this city--their own ethnic group.

What say you all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:09 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Actually, if you study the history of New York State vs. New York City closely, you'll find that Albany has been antagonistic towards the city for a little more than 300 years and counting. So a less-than-wonderful result from the current histrionics up in the capital won't be anything surprising.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:19 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,498 times
Truthfully, not that much. The Mayor doesn't have the schools under his direct control anymore, but that is a minor problem considering that most of the members of the new board are part of Bloomberg's administration anyway. Other than that, the city isn't really directly affected by the situation in Albany.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
Truthfully, not that much. The Mayor doesn't have the schools under his direct control anymore, but that is a minor problem considering that most of the members of the new board are part of Bloomberg's administration anyway. Other than that, the city isn't really directly affected by the situation in Albany.
Actually, the city is very much affected by the clowns in Albany. The sales tax increase for the city has not been approved yet, so the city enacted a hiring freeze on hundreds of new police academy grads and others who were set to begin work this month to try to close the $2MM-a-day hole in the budget. It was just on the news.

I just hope everyone remembers this in November and throws these bums out.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:06 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
Yes, Upstater, I quite agree...

My uncerstanding is that we are losing millions in proposed funds we were supposed to receive (deadline came and went), plus important bills have been stalled.

The city not affected by Albany? ???

Old 07-07-2009, 05:11 PM

28 posts, read 145,317 times
The conundrum in Albany has affected NY. I was supposed to start my new job with the city in late July - I just found out my start date on July 2nd and I quit my job here in DC.

And today they (NYC) call me and tell me I'm not going to be hired on that date due to a hiring freeze, which is of course due to the idiocy in Albany.

This has had a real affect on NYC, its affected my life, I'm sitting in Washington without a job and looking like an idiot to my employer who I will have to grovel to keep my job, though why should he trust me?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Albany also makes sure that the city is almost continually underfunded. NYC makes up just about 30% of the state's population. But we certainly don't get 30% of the state budget!

This is what you get when half (occasionally more than half) of the electorate doesn't get up off their duffs on Election Day.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:11 PM

655 posts, read 1,991,614 times
Not that I figured this was coming, but the way each side handled themselves during the process of figuring out what to do with the MTA situation was disgraceful. I actually don't mind my senator (Padavan) but I would consider not voting for him next time around. I certainly wouldn't vote for Espada, Smith, Monserrette if I lived in their districts.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 AM

28 posts, read 145,317 times
Has anyone heard of a possible timetable on when this issue might get resolved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City