Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:04 AM

13 posts, read 61,657 times

Advertisements

Hello,
me and my bf are moving to nyc to begin attending hunter college courses on 29th august. we are currently looking for a studio apartment solution and we seem to have found several apts available on the UES close to York, 1st and some to 2nd and third avenues. the fee they asked us for these options is 1400-1500 on average. Now this opportunity showed up:
hunter college sent us an ad about this brand new unit located on 119th and third avenue. Being Hunter student we could have a discount on a 26 months rental lease which would make a studio cost us 1350 a month (utilities not included). the units are very well furnished with high ceilings, stainless steel appliances, washer and dryer in each apt, doorman and even a terrace and a gym. it seems to be a very good deal, still we have doubts about the location in east harlem. Can you guys give us info on the area, about safety and stuff like that? we are a gay couple from italy so we don't know exactly if we would fit in. Thanx so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:21 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
119th and Third is way uptown, in East Harlem. I have a feeling that's not precisely where you're trying to locate. (It's an easy commute to Hunter on the #6 train, but that's about all you can say for that particular neighborhood).

Old 07-13-2009, 05:28 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,340 times
I'd take the place if the rent was a bit lower(like, $50-$75/month). Could you negotiate with them?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:52 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
That's a new building actually, much like one would find on the UES, full service, but without the same price tag. It was begun when the area was in the throes of gentrification, but now as that has stalled, the rest of the neighborhood may not come to the same standard for quite a while. It's not a bad deal if you can get your services and groceries from Midtown/Downtown and bring them home with you. The surrounding area amenities are not to the same standard as that particular building, which is pretty decent, with the full-height windows, etc.

What dismays me, however, is the way I have seen that building marketed, as being part of the UES, which it is not. The UES ends at 96th Street, though the entire Carnegie Hill area can be included in the UES and that goes to Mount Sinai on 5th and then back down to 96th before 3rd. Marketing this as the UES by price point is clearly what they are intending, to make it seem as though it's a great value, when it's fair, since the neighborhood is definitely not the UES, which is where many people who would rent there would likely patronize shops and services.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:58 AM

8 posts, read 18,467 times
THIS IS A DRUG ADDICT HELL HOLE. keep OUT

Old 08-01-2009, 03:06 AM

154 posts, read 535,887 times
East Harlem is not that bad, if you stay away from the bad places and use your streetsmarts youll be fine.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 AM

14 posts, read 251,671 times
It's not a bad neighborhood. Most people still refer to the area as Spanish Harlem. Some amenities in the vicinity:

Yelp | Real Reviews by Real People

Old 08-05-2009, 08:25 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,378 times
To be fair, if you're looking for an apartment on the UES with a commute to Hunter, you are being mislead. Yes it is on the east side, on the 6 train, but spanish (or east) harlem is generally considered a pretty bad neighborhood. I know you're going to get a lot of people telling you "it's not that bad", but it's probably one of the shadier areas in the city. I dont;t know anybody who would say otherwise. A ton of housing projects. Lots of drugs. Ameneites are poor such as grocery stores etc. NY is a 24 hourtown and you will be coming home late regularly, even if you don't see that materialzing now. I wouldnt wantto be going to the store in that neighborhood at 2am. Sure you might be ok, but I also wouldnt be surprised if you ran into trouble. Keep looking.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
as a hunter alum, I can tell you that you'll be just fine. Although which office at hunter did you get this info from? There always great for saying one thing and it ends up being the other. Definitely see if you can negotiate on the rent some, and I would say in your next semester you can also try and see if you can get into the dorms downtown, in all honesty the commute is much more refreshing from uptown.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:30 PM

19 posts, read 94,372 times
How about you visit the area before? Many people are replying about the whole spanish harlem. Spanish harlem has many nice areas that can be very quiet. 101 st between park and lex for example. I hung out in spanish harlem growing up and live in harlem my whole life. That building is around a lot of different aspects of the community, but it will depend on how you grew up, if you dont want to be in a diverse area then its not for you, if you have smarts to know not to walk with ya ipod in your head day dreaming down the street, then you'll do fine. I love nyc from 96st up, onthe UES i feel many people can be snobbish at times and the UWS is a cool place. BUt you have to see for your self whaat you feel comfortable with.

Quote:
A ton of housing projects. Lots of drugs.
To adambos: Drugs are all over, from stuy-town to albany. Should one not attend NYU because of washington square park? and Whats wrong with actual housing projects, you know of affordable living in high income areas? please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City