U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 05:30 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,456,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisola11206 View Post
I just called the dcas # and my list # is 910 my score was 95 .
i wish I didnt wait untill the last day to mail in my application, my list # would have been much lower. I hope I get the call soon,

I am a union sheetmetal worker , and make a good wage but the uncertainty of having a job from one day to the next is enough to take a pay cut.

I am so looking forward to those t/a beniftis too I hope a bunch of t/o retire real soon at least 1000 of them
Both of you guys have great list numbers,congrats. Bear in mind that the promotional list goes 1st and there are about 833 people on it.

I don't think date of filing makes a difference, a friend of mine also got a 95 and his list# is 1,243 and he mailed in his application early on during the filing period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 05:40 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,090,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I don't think date of filing makes a difference, a friend of mine also got a 95 and his list# is 1,243 and he mailed in his application early on during the filing period.
Last 4 digits of your SS# is used as the tiebreaker.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 PM

243 posts, read 1,224,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagenius69 View Post
Hey MotormanMike, thanks for putting up some really great info on here. It has been very helpfull. I know this question was asked before but never got a straight answer. What is the average t/o's salary with average OT for the first couple of years. Just wonder when I get called is it worth it leaving a job where I am makin 66. Thanks again for all the info
The pay rate right now is $30.38/hr. I forget the night differential amount but it's about $1.75/hr or so. Night differential is paid from 6pm to 6am M-F and on weekends. So lets say you get some night differential and sometimes you don't. We'll say an even $31.00 an hour. $31 x 40 hrs a week x 52 weeks in a year is $64,480 (64.5k). You can expect in your first two years being on the extra extra list about an additional 3k - 5k a year. So we'll say $4k to average it out and say if you started right now you'd make around 68k in your first year. 2k more than you make now isn't that much , you won't even feel it in your bi-weekly paycheck.

The next question then becomes how are the benefits? Well , you have choice of HIP (HMO) or GHI. GHI has a high option that includes some dental (not much) and 365 days/year hospitalization. It also costs around $30 bi-weekly as a deduction. HIP or GHI regular are no cost. I pay the $30 for the high option for my wife and I. Vacation is 2 weeks a year for first 3 years then bumps to a month after you complete 3 calendar years (I got hired in June '7 so '07 didn't count , had to complete 08/09/10 ... I get my month starting in 2011. It goes to 5 weeks I think after 15 years , not sure there. 12 sick days a year , but you have to be sick and provide doctors notes once you pass probation , and while you are on probation don't even think of calling out even with doctors lines more than once. (Probation is a year including the six months of training). You can also save each holiday in a bank of AVA's (additional vacation allotments) , but when you want to use the days it is up to crew assignement if you get them or not , unless you are one of the first 20 people to request the day off , usually 20 days in advance.

The job is repetitive , can be stressful , and the MTA demands perfection from it's motormen. You will be taken out fo service for minor infractions. If you ride the trains and see other MTA workers doing different kinds of nonsense , YOU will not get away with it as a motorman. We have the most safety sensitive title down here. Motormen are to the subway what pilots are to airlines.

I am glad I have the job and am over 3 years in. I am glad I have the time of being extra extra behind me , wouldn't want to do it again. It is going to suck when you have to do it , but once you start picking jobs , it gets better.

The job is not as easy as people think. I was blown away when I got hired and learned training was 6 months. There is a lot to learn , and the job can be tough , but if you have to work for a living , it's something you can be proud to do , and you can make a decent living wage. Won't get rich , and you won't starve.
Hope this helped answer your question.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:24 PM

16 posts, read 84,713 times
Yes you answered my question! Right now I am paying about 140 bi monthly for my health benifits and I have a new born on the way so its going to go up to 190 bi monthly for a family. If you take that into account, the 68K a year sounds pretty good. On top of that I put 10% into a 401K which I wont have to do anymore. I guess my choice is clear. Once again, thank you for all your help!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM

544 posts, read 1,503,774 times
My pops has 21yrs in the MTA..about 3 of those he was a Conductor and then he moved up to Motorman..and I must say he's making a VERY GOOD amount of money right now !! lol ! It would be a good move..imo

Old 07-08-2010, 06:45 PM

40,054 posts, read 30,987,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
The job is repetitive , can be stressful , and the MTA demands perfection from it's motormen. You will be taken out fo service for minor infractions. If you ride the trains and see other MTA workers doing different kinds of nonsense , YOU will not get away with it as a motorman. We have the most safety sensitive title down here. Motormen are to the subway what pilots are to airlines.
As to those first two sentences--that's why I turned down the promotion to motorman twice. I was perfectly happy as a conductor. And when I got the chance to take the promotion to tower operator, guess what? I made the right move!

(Incidentally, since we're into analogies here, tower operators are the 'air traffic controllers' of the system!)

For everyone reading this from the outside looking in: we do have a wonderful system here involving a job pick. Twice a year, we get to pick our job assignments. This alone blows private industry out of the water!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 PM

243 posts, read 1,224,065 times
(Incidentally, since we're into analogies here, tower operators are the 'air traffic controllers' of the system!)

Yes , true , good analogy.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,956 times
Smile It takes time...

Im sure I took the test in June of 09' and Im just now receiving my results....a 90% out of 100% or maybe this was in Nov....Im not sure, but it takes forever to get these results back....and mind you my list number is 3807...so I could be on that list for up to 3-4 years but as soon as they call me...Im in...just a way to get your foot in the door and you can move up from there....Good luck all

Old 07-08-2010, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,940 times
hi,
Can any one please tell me,,,,
I just got result for Train Operator . My score is 85. out of 100. My list number is 6047.
Is there any chance that I will get hire,,,

Old 07-08-2010, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,941 times
My telephone #has changed since i took the test.. How can i get in touch with them so i can give them my new #?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City