Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 06:13 AM

5 posts, read 22,423 times

Advertisements

Motormanmike and Fred... Thanks 4 all info! These are answers I've been googling jus 2 reassure wht my father told me! But u guys explained it to the 100th power! {Fantastic} BTW I'm STILL overly excited about my 100% score on the 8094 Exam! I was going to go out and celebrate!! LoL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Your very welcome. MTA as a company might leave something to be desired (well, OK, it might leave quite a bit to be desired!) but the jobs here are absolutely the best. I came from the publishing field--which has an undeservedly good reputation--and I can tell you this without reservation: if any of the publishers I used to work for offered to triple the salary I made, I wouldn't leave my job as a tower operator. Let people say whatever they want; those of us who work for MTA know better.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 11,890 times
Hello MotormanMike my father is also a Train Operator I just wanted to know how old do you hav to be to become a train operator so maybe i could follow in his footsteps

Old 09-06-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popfrank123 View Post
Hello MotormanMike my father is also a Train Operator I just wanted to know how old do you hav to be to become a train operator so maybe i could follow in his footsteps
OK if a tower operator answers your question? You have to be legal age. It may be the case that you can take the test before you reach 18--but in any case, you've got to be at least 18 when you get called. (When I started out as a conductor, one of my classmates was the second youngest conductor in the system. He was about six weeks past his 18th birthday when he got hired, so it's pretty clear that he was younger than 18 when he took the test!)

Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 AM

243 posts, read 1,333,499 times
The minimum requirements for taking the written test are having a HS Diploma or GED plus 5 years of full time work experience doing any job. Up to 4 years of college can be substituted for work experience but you will still need at least 1 full year of full time work experience if you had 4 years of college. It is unlikely anyone younger than 20 is going to meet those requirements to take the test (except maybe a child genuis who graduates Harvard by 13 years old , then goes to work full time) ... then the wait after the test is going to be around 3-4 years. In theory , I suppose you could take the test at 18 if you somehow could meet the requirements , and in theory you could get hired the same year. In actual practice it is most likely someone would be about 21/22 when they take the test and get hired when they are about 24/25 , in an early scenario. I'm sure somewhere in the history of motormen someone got hired at 20 or something , what I'm talking about is what's normal. I went through training with a group that started with 84 people of which I believe 68 graduated. The youngest guy I knew of was 27. The majority of the trainees are between 28-35 years old. I was 32. I don't know how old you are but since they just gave an exam , they won't be giving another one for about 4-5 years and then the wait from that exam will be 3-4 years so if you wait for the next open competitive exam , you've got about a 7-9 year wait ahead of you. If you are 18 or older already , get into any position you can in the MTA and build up that 5 years work experience , then take a promotional exam. That's my best suggestion. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 31,454 times
If I don't have 5 years full time experience would over 10 years part time experience substitute?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:44 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTech2000 View Post
If I don't have 5 years full time experience would over 10 years part time experience substitute?
Apparently so. "Part-time paid experience will be pro-rated": http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...0808098000.pdf. <- Scroll down to the "How To Qualify" section.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 28,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanMikeNYC View Post
Hello I am a 23 yrs college student asking what maybe a stupid question. But I took the Train Operator exam, i got the results and i received a 14/80 I dont know if that good or bad. I think that is bad not not close to failing. So i need a step to step process of what is next...I didn't get my listing number i want to know is that what I am waiting on to move on? I went back to school because I was very close to finish but I dont know anything about what to do next and NYC is great on helpin ppl to get this help. I am not in NYC as i write this but need to know if I should just give up now or keep checkin
I took the test too in 6/09 did you really get your score officially from the mta or did you used the answer key posted online? Because I've yet to recieve anything from them 3-months later .I've read it could take a year to get your results back. If your going by the online anwer key I hear that your score can change because of protest . As it stands I got 75 correct out of 80 ...hope thats good enough ... I probably would take the job if I were to called just cause the money isnt bad but the beni's oh I like the beni's If any body out there got their results back who took the test in 6/09 please sound off.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisola11206 View Post
If any body out there got their results back who took the test in 6/09 please sound off.
Don't forget that we're talking New York City civil service here. The test given in June of this year isn't going to get you results back for a few months yet. The best places to check for results are in The Chief-Leader, which will publish them when the list is issued (the Conductor list came out this past week), or at the DCAS headquarters downtown on Washington Street.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 11,364 times
Hi, I took the train operator 8098 on june 06, 2009 and scored 87.5 %. I dont know whether I am in or out. Please advice. jagadish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City