Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM

89 posts, read 230,101 times

Advertisements

Hi Manaboard - I'm in that same range too. What I know is that as a civil service exam, OC exam #8098 should be good for the next 5 years. The only threat I see is that the mta makes #8098 the last oc exam for TO, and the MTA uses promotional exam lists to fill in future vacancies. I think we got a good shot 2b within the hiring process, at least up to September 2013. Just my thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 PM

26 posts, read 137,758 times
Thanks for your response BC. Can the MTA do that? Can they go back to the promotional list after they started on the OC or are you suggesting that the MtA would scrap the OC and Promotional and offer a new promotional test?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM

To be perfectly honest, the only sure thing I know as a fact is that #8098 should be active from 09/12 till 09/16(it's only 4 years, not 5 which I incorrectly posted). Beyond this, the 1st school car class was a mix of promos and OC. I recall there was an active promo list but did not read if it was closed/shut down yet. I also read on another site, that since MTA is taking back control of TO testing from DCAS, they will start to look for TO candidates from within MTA via Promotional exams.

I think there's a few variables here, like the hiring needs of MTA from now til April, the quality of candidates on #8098, and other political/budget issues.

You bring up some good questions that hopefully some of the most respected and senior members in this forum could provide their POV/insight.

Last edited by bc0v9g9; 01-09-2013 at 07:24 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboard View Post
...Can they go back to the promotional list after they started on the OC...
They cannot go back to the promotional list because the list has been exhausted. Once they finished with the promotional hires, then they started to call the OC candidates. They can't go back to what they already finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboard View Post
or are you suggesting that the MtA would scrap the OC and Promotional and offer a new promotional test?
Liked mentioned above, it all depends on the hiring needs & $$$ of the agency. They won't scrap the exam on the spot, they'll just let it expire. Highly unlikely w/ this exam based on how fast things are moving, but nothing is guaranteed. You will get the letter, just not as fast as you might wish.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM

67 posts, read 117,657 times
Maybe this is a dumb question or maybe its already been answered but when you get the call to go for the 1st initial meeting (getting your packet and drug test) how should one dress. Is it like an interview and buisiness attire is required or would someone just go in regular clothes? Just a thought as to all the posts I read, everyone seems so casual about it.

Oh and I made a call to DCAS, even though it probably was a waste considering they arent involved and there is a new recording, saying that "out of 11,078 eligibles, only 4316 are certified" or recieved certification. What the hell does that mean.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM

144 posts, read 254,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndMan View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question or maybe its already been answered but when you get the call to go for the 1st initial meeting (getting your packet and drug test) how should one dress. Is it like an interview and buisiness attire is required or would someone just go in regular clothes? Just a thought as to all the posts I read, everyone seems so casual about it.

Oh and I made a call to DCAS, even though it probably was a waste considering they arent involved and there is a new recording, saying that "out of 11,078 eligibles, only 4316 are certified" or recieved certification. What the hell does that mean.
When you get your letter to report for the drug test it says to come in business casual attire. A few people had jeans on when I went down and they didn't say anything to them. They just looked like they didn't pay attention to their letter. It is more of a drug test and filling out some paper work than an interview.

I believe that you are certified once they accept your work experience. They do send you a notice saying your work experience has been approved.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:23 PM

FYI: just posted from another site; "the next classes for t/o are Jan 28, Feb 25 and Mar 25." If anyone else in school car can verify this or share that they received their final processing letter that would be very nice of you. Have a good weekend.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 13,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc0v9g9 View Post
FYI: just posted from another site; "the next classes for t/o are Jan 28, Feb 25 and Mar 25." If anyone else in school car can verify this or share that they received their final processing letter that would be very nice of you. Have a good weekend.
I have to report next wednesday for medical. So yeah those dates for school car seem to be accurate. List# 370's

Last edited by Etrain; 01-12-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-12-2013, 02:46 PM

Thanks Etrain and good luck during your final processing. If anyone else has gotten their medical/final processing letter, please share along with your list# range. Good luck to all.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM

10 posts, read 26,708 times
Hey everyone. I don't mean to hijack the thread but when does the MTA contact people after an application is submitted?

I applied for a Computer Associate position (Computer Assoc.(TS) I, II and III JOB ID 75879) on 12/28. So far I haven't received any calls. This position was posted on 12/27/12 and the last day for filing is 1/14/13. This was a resume based application and I'm wondering if the MTA will start contacting people after the filing date or on a first come/first serve basis.

I had posted this unanswered question in another thread and posting here as there are very knowledgeable posters here.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City