Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM

89 posts, read 230,127 times

Advertisements

Hi - Anyone from school car have any news about upcoming classes from their TSS'? Thanks in advance for sharing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 PM

37 posts, read 96,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc0v9g9 View Post
Hi - Anyone from school car have any news about upcoming classes from their TSS'? Thanks in advance for sharing...

I heard it mentioned today from a TSS....at least one new class per month till the end of 2013

Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaninny View Post
I hope I don't derail the topic at hand, but I'm part of a 500s that passed medicals last week and was offered the position and I have school car in about 2 weeks. I have major concerns and questions.

Firstly, I am currently employed with the city in the education field. I've been working in that field for 5+ years and I had applied for T/O when I was looking for something better. Not to say, I have something better right now, but I read about the tests and strict policies during the "school car" phase that have me concerned about resigning from my current job. I was unable to secure a "leave of absence" as its not an option for my current title and I wasn't given an assurance of a rehire from my director. That leaves me very hesitant to venture into the T/O position, which has much better pay and benefits, but seems like a risk I might not want to take.

I have a few questions that some of you may have answers to, that may help make my decision much easier. I'll be frank, the thought process has been eating at me for a few days now, where I can't sleep or eat properly. I didn't think after medicals (which took the entire day), I would be told I passed the medicals and would be starting the position in about 2 1/2 weeks... all in the same day. I thought I would wait about 5-6 months before I was given a choice. I should have asked all these questions to the HR rep who assisted me with the paper work, but I was hungry, tired and not prepared to think of the questions that have been eating me since. I will try to make contact with the HR reps on Monday morning, but maybe someone can help me until then.

The questions are as follows...

1. If you fail "school car" and are terminated for the T/O position, does the MTA still offer positions that would be available for "promotional candidates"? I'm thinking the answer is 'no,' and this is really my main concern. Are there any options for other MTA staffing positions, as a fall back, instead of going through the open competitive position and waiting another 3 or 4 years for a similar opportunity? My ideal scenario was to start as T/O and then apply for 'promotional" positions within an office setting.

2. Are there any options to request a delay or a hold on a start date and requesting alternative positions within MTA? I would rather work in an office setting within MTA and not take a risk pursuing the T/O position, which I know has high standards of qualifications. I have over 5 years of office experience with the city and my ideal position isn't as a T/O.

3. I've also sworn and accepted the position, right after the medicals. Does this affect my standing in MTA for future potential employment, if I decide not to pursue the position? I know I should have asked this to the HR officer who was assisting me, but she gave me reassurances that moving on to an office position was possible throughout, but I didn't consider the thought of failing "school car" at the time and any repercussions that may arrive from it.

4. At this stage, even though I haven't started the "school car" training and gone through the induction, am I considered an MTA employee? If yes, does that allow me to apply to an "open to current MTA employees" promotional job listing?

Again, the reason I applied initially and still pursued medicals was of the great benefits/salary offered by MTA, but I've been reading about how you can be removed from "school car" at any moment, strict lateness policy and high testing standards. I thought the decision would be a lot easier and many of my friends say its a "no brainer," but when its you who has to make the decision and think about the people you are helping in a household, its really not a "no brainer". I will be trying to make contacts with HR at MTA, as well as my assigned contact at 130 Livingston, this Monday, but I wanted to post this here in hopes someone might have some helpful answers, information and/or suggestions for me. It would be immensely appreciated. Thank you.

Hey...so I'm in school car right now so maybe i can help u a little bit. Yes it is true that if you fail school car you are terminated. However, they dont really make it that easy for you to fail. All the school car tss's are more than willing to help you however you need it. There is a lot to learn, but if you pay attention, ask questions(especially when you dont understand something), and do your part when it comes to reading the text and studying you should be good.

You will not be eligible for promotional jobs. You will not be able to apply for promotional jobs either as you dont have time time needed in the MTA yet. It is a very scary thought that if you dont pass you will be out on your butt, but for me that makes me want to pay closer attention and do my absolute best that i can.

Im not sure about whether you can delay at this point since uou did swear in already, but you can always call them and check.

Whatever you decide, i hope works out for the best...good luck!!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:27 AM

Default Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.K View Post
I heard it mentioned today from a TSS....at least one new class per month till the end of 2013
Hi Ben K. - thanks for sharing, this is very promising news. Best wishes again as you progress in school car.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 AM

26 posts, read 137,771 times
Good news indeed! so, 500s in February class, any update on DT numbers.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboard View Post
Good news indeed! so, 500s in February class, any update on DT numbers.
The latest DT is list# range 640-660. It seems that for each class of 40 they are processing some 150 people and then relooping back to previous list#'s that were on some type of hold. If this holds true TO 8098 could reach as high as the 1300's by end of year.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:18 AM

9 posts, read 23,781 times
What's the schedule like in school car? Just want to know if it's still possible to finish my night classes

Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorJack View Post
What's the schedule like in school car? Just want to know if it's still possible to finish my night classes
most school car classes are in the day, 7:30-3:30, BUT the class after mine was a Pm class and i heard their schedule is 6pm-2am. It all depends on the availability of instructors and how many classes are out at the time

Old 02-17-2013, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 23,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.K View Post
most school car classes are in the day, 7:30-3:30, BUT the class after mine was a Pm class and i heard their schedule is 6pm-2am. It all depends on the availability of instructors and how many classes are out at the time
Thanks BenK... Are you in division A or B

Old 02-17-2013, 02:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaninny View Post
I hope I don't derail the topic at hand, but I'm part of a 500s that passed medicals last week and was offered the position and I have school car in about 2 weeks. I have major concerns and questions.

Firstly, I am currently employed with the city in the education field. I've been working in that field for 5+ years and I had applied for T/O when I was looking for something better. Not to say, I have something better right now, but I read about the tests and strict policies during the "school car" phase that have me concerned about resigning from my current job. I was unable to secure a "leave of absence" as its not an option for my current title and I wasn't given an assurance of a rehire from my director. That leaves me very hesitant to venture into the T/O position, which has much better pay and benefits, but seems like a risk I might not want to take.

I have a few questions that some of you may have answers to, that may help make my decision much easier. I'll be frank, the thought process has been eating at me for a few days now, where I can't sleep or eat properly. I didn't think after medicals (which took the entire day), I would be told I passed the medicals and would be starting the position in about 2 1/2 weeks... all in the same day. I thought I would wait about 5-6 months before I was given a choice. I should have asked all these questions to the HR rep who assisted me with the paper work, but I was hungry, tired and not prepared to think of the questions that have been eating me since. I will try to make contact with the HR reps on Monday morning, but maybe someone can help me until then.

The questions are as follows...

1. If you fail "school car" and are terminated for the T/O position, does the MTA still offer positions that would be available for "promotional candidates"? I'm thinking the answer is 'no,' and this is really my main concern. Are there any options for other MTA staffing positions, as a fall back, instead of going through the open competitive position and waiting another 3 or 4 years for a similar opportunity? My ideal scenario was to start as T/O and then apply for 'promotional" positions within an office setting.

2. Are there any options to request a delay or a hold on a start date and requesting alternative positions within MTA? I would rather work in an office setting within MTA and not take a risk pursuing the T/O position, which I know has high standards of qualifications. I have over 5 years of office experience with the city and my ideal position isn't as a T/O.

3. I've also sworn and accepted the position, right after the medicals. Does this affect my standing in MTA for future potential employment, if I decide not to pursue the position? I know I should have asked this to the HR officer who was assisting me, but she gave me reassurances that moving on to an office position was possible throughout, but I didn't consider the thought of failing "school car" at the time and any repercussions that may arrive from it.

4. At this stage, even though I haven't started the "school car" training and gone through the induction, am I considered an MTA employee? If yes, does that allow me to apply to an "open to current MTA employees" promotional job listing?

Again, the reason I applied initially and still pursued medicals was of the great benefits/salary offered by MTA, but I've been reading about how you can be removed from "school car" at any moment, strict lateness policy and high testing standards. I thought the decision would be a lot easier and many of my friends say its a "no brainer," but when its you who has to make the decision and think about the people you are helping in a household, its really not a "no brainer". I will be trying to make contacts with HR at MTA, as well as my assigned contact at 130 Livingston, this Monday, but I wanted to post this here in hopes someone might have some helpful answers, information and/or suggestions for me. It would be immensely appreciated. Thank you.
AN OUTSIDER'S OPINION

It just seems that you really prefer office work to the railroad crew environment. My father felt the opposite and preferred to be a cabbie instead of being "trapped" in a fixed setting all day.

The subway job, as you know, requires work on all shifts, in all weather, and in many different areas of NYC.

It just seems that T/O is not the job you really want, and that may very well affect your job performance and training program outcome.

You, in my opinion, would be better served pursuing the job you really want. Money and benefits cannot keep you happy if the job itself isn't what you want.

It might be best for you to turn the job down and apply for something you really want.

MTA pay and benefits are good but the job is not a cake walk in any way.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City