Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:22 AM

594 posts, read 1,199,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
Yeah I know that that part of Yorktown is called Germantown. What I’m referring to is a section of E86th Street roughly between 1st and 3rd Aves which was at the time heavily populated with Scandinavians and had numerous establishments with Scandinavian names along those two blocks. My favorite, BTW, was this cozy little bar on the north side of 86th. St called “Little Finland". Good times.
Finland does not belong to Scandinavia though.
It's among the nordic countries, but not Scandinavia.

Scandinavia = Sweden, Norway, Denmark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
Yeah I know that that part of Yorktown is called Germantown. What I’m referring to is a section of E86th Street roughly between 1st and 3rd Aves which was at the time heavily populated with Scandinavians and had numerous establishments with Scandinavian names along those two blocks. My favorite, BTW, was this cozy little bar on the north side of 86th. St called “Little Finland". Good times.
That's exactly the area that was the most German. In my 50+ years in the general area I've never seen anything remotely Scandinavian there.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-14-2009 at 12:10 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Ireland, Israel & Russia!

Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Ireland, Israel & Russia!
Russia = Brighton Beach
Israel = Crown Heights/Williamsburg
Ireland = Rockaway Park

As for these sort of 'hoods popping up in Manhattan, not a chance. These things form because the area is cheap and immigrants can populate it and make it their own. The fact that Chinatown is getting gentrified shows that this city is too hostile to immigrants for them to create new communities.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
Russia = Brighton Beach
Ireland = Rockaway Park

As for these sort of 'hoods popping up in Manhattan, not a chance. These things form because the area is cheap and immigrants can populate it and make it their own. The fact that Chinatown is getting gentrified shows that this city is too hostile to immigrants for them to create new communities.
Agree with ddhboy completely.I doubt there will ever be any more anytowns in Manhattan.Manhattan is too expensive to allow the evolution of an ethnic immigrant enclave.
All future such neighborhoods will be in other boroughs,most likely Brooklyn or The Bronx.I live in the middle of what seems to be evolving as a "little Albania" in the Pelham Parkway neighborhood of The Bronx.Lots of other recent Eastern European arrivals as well.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:39 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
In New York City, we have Little Italy, Chinatown, Koreatown etc.
What "Little" or "Town" country would you like to have in NYC, especially in Manhattan?
I know Manhattan is already crowded, but having a street or two wouldn't hurt.
My answer is: NONE. I would like to see neighborhoods develop (or change) naturally, as the result of shifting populations. The last thing in the world I want for New York is to have artificially created ethnic enclaves. Especially when they're just for the purpose of satisfying someone else's imagining about what New York should be. Next case!

Old 07-14-2009, 03:10 PM

306 posts, read 636,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Finland does not belong to Scandinavia though.
It's among the nordic countries, but not Scandinavia.

Scandinavia = Sweden, Norway, Denmark.
Very true, and that's a fact few people are aware of. Still, when Finland is mentioned, most people will associate it with Scandinavia, simply because of its location.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 PM

306 posts, read 636,211 times
Quote:
Ireland = Rockaway Park
...and let's no forget Gerritsen Beach in Brooklyn, although there are not as many Irish families living there now as there were a few years ago.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:10 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Russia = Brighton Beach
Ireland = Rockaway Park

ahh thanks, although I meant Manhattan, but I'll take it...

Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
My answer is: NONE. I would like to see neighborhoods develop (or change) naturally, as the result of shifting populations. The last thing in the world I want for New York is to have artificially created ethnic enclaves. Especially when they're just for the purpose of satisfying someone else's imagining about what New York should be. Next case!
Strongly agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City