Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 08:15 AM

54 posts, read 206,306 times

Advertisements

Good link about Norwood/Bedford Park

Young New Yorkers Discover Norwood, One of the City's Prettiest Areas - March 17, 2005 - The New York Sun

Here is a choice excerpt detailing the amazing drop in crime in the 52nd precint...

Like other New York neighborhoods, Norwood has reaped the benefits of declining crime. The 52nd Precinct - which covers Bedford Park, Fordham Bedford, and University Heights in addition to Norwood - has seen an overall decline of 60% in violent crime since 1993 and a stunning 82% decline in murder. Ms. Norquist-Gonzalez is a classic Jane-Jacobs-eyes-on-the-street New Yorker who is quick to call the cops or local officials when something bad happens. "I report everything I see," she says. "My brother John [Norquist, the former mayor of Milwaukee] taught me that local politicians are very happy to take action on concrete things. So I'm in touch with our representatives, and whenever I call the precinct they are very courteous, very responsive. They send a car right over. Also, our neighbor Montefiore has attentive guards. We feel safe being right here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times
Do any of you read the Norwood News? Very good free local paper for tracking the progress in the area.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:52 AM

318 posts, read 1,098,486 times
I haven't been to Woodlawn Cemetary yet, although we were meaning to go. Thanks for the info on how to get in. I pick up the Norwood News at the dry cleaners on Bedford Park Blvd., or at Roccos. Elvira, do you also live in the area?

Old 08-19-2007, 09:23 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
I had a co-worker who went to Fordham (White, btw), and I know several other people who went, and lived near campus the whole shibang. From what I gathered it is no less safe or more dangerous than any other college campus.

Plus honestly, college students make the worst targets for muggings. Most are broke half the time.

Fordham does have cars broken into. That's one thing I've heard. But that type of crime is actually very common on college campuses all over the place.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-19-2007 at 09:39 AM..

Old 08-19-2007, 10:30 AM

Pete Piper:

Yes, I live in the Fordham/University Heights area (in a coop off Fordham Road.) My b/f has lived in Fordham on the Grand Concourse for 9 years.

NooYowkur, I spent a day on the Fordham campus recently and it seemed very similar to my experience at SUNY Stony Brook back in the day. Pretty self-contained, with dorms so if you choose you don't have to venture out much if you don't want to. Big campus (I got lost a few times) and pretty bucolic.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:08 PM

54 posts, read 206,306 times
You're link is clearly biased so that more cops will be hired/enticed financially to stay. And isn't it sort of sad that the PBA claims that the NYPD is inept and unable to do its job? Maybe that's because so many of its officers are busy posting on message boards ranting about the level of crime they are incapable of stopping?

What gated communities are you talking about?

And you're right, I don't know what the neighborhood was like 20 years ago...b/c it's not like that now. I know the 2007 Bedford Park. And I enjoy living here.

Where exactly do you live Hustla?

Old 08-19-2007, 06:27 PM

What's that saying about lies, damn lies, and statistics?

Hustla is using stats (accurate or not) to back up his arguments. Other folks who live here are using their real life experience as a gauge. It does seem odd that Hustla shrugs off all the positive feedback from Bronx residents. As I said, my b/f has lived in Fordham nine years, so I think that's a reasonable chunk of time to assess quality of life here. No, it's not perfect, but it's not too bad either. Virtually no one looks askance at him or me because we're white--or if they do, I don't notice and frankly don't care. And I'm not a yuppie just because I'm white. You have to be willing to deal with the hood as it is, because it' ain't gentrified around here yet. There was a Starbucks on Fordham for a time but it closed--no one around these parts can spend 3 bucks for a latte.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:02 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
You're link is clearly biased so that more cops will be hired/enticed financially to stay. And isn't it sort of sad that the PBA claims that the NYPD is inept and unable to do its job? Maybe that's because so many of its officers are busy posting on message boards ranting about the level of crime they are incapable of stopping?

What gated communities are you talking about?

And you're right, I don't know what the neighborhood was like 20 years ago...b/c it's not like that now. I know the 2007 Bedford Park. And I enjoy living here.

Where exactly do you live Hustla?
Biased? The article comes directly from the PBA, giving the public the truth about the compstat system. The fact that crime statistics are manipulated and are not the end all be all.

Gated communties. Your not experiencing the "elements" if you don't even know they exist. Most people in that community share my opionion. Except for those living in a bubble of course.

As for the way things were 20 years ago. Not much has changed. Poverty is still a major problem in these areas along with all other problems it brings.

Moderator cut: argumentative

This thread needs to be closed.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 08-20-2007 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 05:35 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default I have never seen...

such a long thread devoted to such a modest neighborhood, Bedford Park.

With respect to what it was like 20 years ago, it seems to me that the area north of Bedford Park Blvd was better but south of that in Fordham Bedford remained about the same as it is now.

I can understand why someone would move to E 201 street as it certainly has held up well; however I would be concerned with those coming up from points south to cause trouble

Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
I see everyone's puttin' Hustla in deep check! I'll sit on the sidelines for this one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City