Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
..... I don't see that occuring in the central Bronx or Northern Bronx....am I wrong?
I think you are more right than wrong. The north bronx is far more spread out than the southern bx. The central is a little bit more densely populated than the north but less than the south. So it will be a lot harder to clean up an area like say "fordham" than the south bronx(mott haven/melrose) etc.

Supermario - I never said highbridge was "nice". I just said it wasn't as "wild" as you were claiming. If it were that bad, playing softball there for 8 years you should have had at least one incident!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
I think you are more right than wrong. The north bronx is far more spread out than the southern bx. The central is a little bit more densely populated than the north but less than the south. So it will be a lot harder to clean up an area like say "fordham" than the south bronx(mott haven/melrose) etc.

Supermario - I never said highbridge was "nice". I just said it wasn't as "wild" as you were claiming. If it were that bad, playing softball there for 8 years you should have had at least one incident!
So are you saying an area will have a harder time seeing improvement because it is densely populated? I'm having a hard time understanding that reasoning.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:11 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
I disagree. I think that the central-west Bronx neighborhoods such as Morris Heights, Uni Heights, Fordham, Tremont etc are the most densely populated neighborhoods. These neighborhoods have the largest concentration of tenements. The neighborhoods to the south have more projects and more houses. It is no coincidence that the above neighborhoods lie in the community districts with the largest population.

Quote:
There are two reasons why nothing happened to me. One, half of those years I was under 12, I doubt that people woud rob/beat a 12 > yr old. The second reason is that there were always alot of parents there watching there kids play. After games My dad would pick me up. I seriously believe that if I were to go to University or Walton and chill, I would likely have been a victim.

All I am saying is that Highbridge is not a nice neighborhood to live in. There are much much nicer.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
So are you saying an area will have a harder time seeing improvement because it is densely populated? I'm having a hard time understanding that reasoning.
now what i mean is, you have much more ground to cover in the north and central bronx than you do in the south. in the south you have more people per square meter than you do in the central and in the north so if you cleaned up 100 square meters, you will impact more people in the south than in the north .... something like that....

Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
now what i mean is, you have much more ground to cover in the north and central bronx than you do in the south. in the south you have more people per square meter than you do in the central and in the north so if you cleaned up 100 square meters, you will impact more people in the south than in the north .... something like that....
Wrong. Central-West Bronx is most populated. Easily.

I am using south Bronx as a geographical term in this case. I still believe THE South Bronx is everything under Fordham.

South Bronx:

Community District 1 (Melrose, Mott Haven, Ft Morris)

Population : 82,159

Community District 2: (Longwood, Hunts Point)

Population: 46,284

Community District 3: (Melrose, Morrisania, Claremont)

Population: 68,574

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Community District 5: Morris Heights, University Heights, Fordham

Population: 128,313

Community District 7: University Heights, Norwood, Bedford Park

Population: 141,411

Community District 4: Highbridge, Concourse, Mt Eden

Population: 139,563
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Population density per square mile (zip codes)

South Bronx:

10451: 38,133
10454: 32,986
10455: 49,849
10474: 7,399

West/Central Bronx:

10452: 72,562
10453: 86,810
10457: 56,470
10468: 70,606

As you can see it's not even close. So I dont know where you get idea that the south Bronx is more heavily populated. This is the reason why practically all housing in west/central are 6 story tenements.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
I live about 10 minutes away from Fordham. Before I can reccomend anything you have to tell me a little bit more about yourself.

Are you going to Fordham as an undergrad student? If so just live on campus in the dorms. It doesn't make sense to live off campus as a Freshman. You'll make the most friends by doing this, plus Fordham has a really nice campus, trust me, I've visited many universities.

If you're a grad student then that's a little bit different. If you are a grad student, where are you from originally? NYC metro area? What's your ethnicity? Irish/Italian/Hispanic? What type of price range are you looking at? Will you be keeping a car with you, or just relying upon public transit?

Let me know and I can throw out some reccomendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savignon View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~`

Can anyone help me out with putting me in touch with someone who actually went to Fordham U. there for a few yrs & lives around there? Could u tell me what is the best part of that neighborhood to live in?
How far is Arthur Ave away (walking wise) from Fordham's campus?
Could u pls tell me where most of the projects/Gov't housing are located around the Fordham U. area- if there are any?? If U have any names of buildings or addresses so I could look them up -that would be helpful. Is it very dangerous to go near those places? [Esp. if U don't look like you're from the area & don't blend in well to that type of nabe!!]... ==
-==What do U guys think about the Eastchester area, near Castle Hill, Zerega Ave? Newboldt Ave...side? IS that a nice, safer area? (How far away is it from the Fordham U. school?) I hear there's a growing Indian population there???
Can I ask which part of the Bronx is the best part- where it is safe, calm, & no crazy activity?
I hear Riverdale is-- anything closer to Fordham U. though?
How far a drive is Riverdale from the Fordham U. areas?? Are there any DIRECT buses cross town that go from Riverdale to Fordham U.?>
Is Throgg's Neck, Pelham Pkway just as nice as Riverdale?
Some ppl on here seem to say that Norwood & Bedford Park is going down,
could u tell me exactly which streets, blocks are in rapid decline w/an influx of bad, poorer, seedy developments? I don't want to "accidentally arrive" on a street with brazenly open drug activity/selling.... Ppl can do all sorts of strange, immoral, reprehensible disgusting stuff behind closed doors-- but as long as it doesn't spill out onto the public streets & innocent lives aren't used
as pawns or bartering chips- it can be tolerable I guess---
When ppl have no shame, no remorse or embarassment or sense of discretion or sense of dignity about the dirty activities they are dealing in or value an innocent life itself--- -- those are the ppl you gotta avoid at all costs, I was told [by the council of WISE MEN, hehehe!].... Am I right???

Old 02-05-2008, 12:42 PM

Savignon, rlrl hit the nail right on the head. Fordham rd east of Webster becomes more vacant, and you have auto shops, gas stations, and a few stores. Now, west of Webster is rough. Valentine, Thebout, Decatur, Creston, Walton, University are just some of the side streets. Around the immediate area 188th-180th and those intersections are as BAD as it gets.....north of that 189th-198th very bad aswell. Try going east, but stay away from E. Tremont. Bedford park may suit your needs. But basically anything that falls within the above street intersections (and a few others) are BAD.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:00 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
I agree with SuperMario

Old 02-06-2008, 05:50 PM

hey supermario, where did you get the population numbers? I can generate some nifty "analysis" if you send me a link - together with the crime map you posted a while back. pm me a link if you have one i tried searching and didn't find it.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,652 times
Default Fordham University

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I live about 10 minutes away from Fordham. Before I can reccomend anything you have to tell me a little bit more about yourself.

Are you going to Fordham as an undergrad student? If so just live on campus in the dorms. It doesn't make sense to live off campus as a Freshman. You'll make the most friends by doing this, plus Fordham has a really nice campus, trust me, I've visited many universities.

If you're a grad student then that's a little bit different. If you are a grad student, where are you from originally? NYC metro area? What's your ethnicity? Irish/Italian/Hispanic? What type of price range are you looking at? Will you be keeping a car with you, or just relying upon public transit?

Let me know and I can throw out some reccomendations.
I'm certainly not the OP here, but my spouse may have a chance to work at Fordham which would be a great fit. We're trying to figure out where we'd live if this materializes, and so I'd appreciate your sense of what's possible.

We'd be coming from Chicago and have two small kids so schools would be important to us. We'd like to have the kids in public schools and to be able to rely on public transportation. We're Irish in heritage but many generations off the boat. It's hard to know what our budget would be since I'd need to find a job, but let's start with a rent figure of around $2000-$2200 per month for a 2-bedroom. We'd like a somewhat diverse neighborhood but don't want to feel we're always in danger of being crime victims or have our kids subject to dealers, etc.

From what I've read on here, Riverdale has good schools and possibly something to meet our housing needs. Woodlawn and Van Cortlandt Village also seem to be safe, but I'm not sure about schools. Are there any other pockets in the Bronx with decent schools that might work for us? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City