Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:08 PM

823 posts, read 3,688,935 times

Advertisements

Thos were great pictures of Da Bronx. I grew up on Southern Blvd between Intervale Ave & Tiffany St. When I left for the Air Force in 1956 our block was the last halfway decent one in the neighborhood. I haven't been back there since. After I got out of the Air force I lived on Montgomery Ave. &
174th St in what was then the "good part".

I went to Jr. High School 22 when it was brand new and the best in The Bronx, now I understand it's one of the worst. I remember when the Grand Concourse was called the Park Ave. of The Bronx.

As a young kid we could walk just about anywhere without fear but as a teenager I would only walk with the street gang I belonged to.

I'm really happy to read that The Bronx is coming back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 10:06 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I didn't say that everything was gonna be peaches and roses. I'm not saying that things don't and won't happen. But I'll say this: people who have been in this city for the long haul have gone through hell and back. And there's no way they should be discouraged from owning a piece of this city, especially since everyone else is making a profit. And the rhetoric of "avoid this place" or "avoid that place" is doing just that.

Years ago, Williamsburg was the place to avoid. Plenty of Puerto Ricans, etc. jumped up and left, due to the crime in the area back in the day. Now, people are buying property in that area in droves, and the much of the native Boriqua population has missed out on its renaissance!

The same with Park Slope. No one likes to be reminded of the Slope being a drug and gangsta neighborhood in the 60s, 70s up until the mid 80s. My former neighbors (longtime residents) told me of the various Puerto Rican, Italian and Black gangs that rumbled in the Slope. Now, none of those three groups, as a whole, have any piece of Park Slope! (individuals may, but not as a whole).

I am glad my uncles are keeping their properties in Crown Heights and East Flatbush (both had it since the 60s). Let me tell you, they've gone through hell in their communities, but now, people are calling with offers to buy literally everyday. One uncle (Crown Heights) has retired to NC, but he isn't selling. The other is still in East Flatbush, and he isn't going anywhere. Not selling, either! Property in this city is power, dammit!
If I had a choice between Bedford Park and another area in tha nation (comparatibly priced) you better belive I would turn Bedford Park down in a second. The stuff I am reading here is out of this world. Never seen a police car in Bedford Park? Kids out in the streets, baseball games. She made it sound like the burbs. It's not, FAR from it. She is fortunate to live on a decent block in the area. However that doesn't mean all is well. There are blocks in Bedford Park with serious crime problems. She is downplaying that to the extreme. At least be realistic. The area has many problems but there are pockets of decent blocks around Mosholu Pkwy. My problems with that neighborhood is I saw it decline first hand, get somewhat better (if you call it better) and now start to decline again.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:37 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Obviously I've seen police, but I haven't seen them making all the busts and carrying out all the dead bodies as you imply, and yes there are baseball games on the corner and lots of kids playing, but it's not the suburbs. The suburbs are much quieter. Truthfully I'd prefer to live on a quieter block, but for me it's not a deal breaker.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
I don't recommend the Bronx for people that are not street smart or who have not lived in NYC for a while. But otherwise if you know the ins and outs you can be just fine here, and it's cheap for the most part. Let's hope it stays that way! I wish I could tape the noise inside my building, and right outside of it, so you guys could hear. You'd think I'd live in the burbs or something. I live on a side street, off Fordham road, but it's so quiet here!

I'm not saying all of the BX is like where I live, that would be stupid to say, but there are decent spots.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:20 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,145 times
Hustla718 is right. Bedford Park is a dump. I went to the area yesterday. The area above Mosholu Pkwy (north of Tracey Towers) was decent. However, anywhere in Bedford Park proper is rundown. There are lots of young people (3 high schools and Lehman College) and they are NOT happy. I honestly think the people who post here and say the area is gravy are either living in a fantasy world or a real estate agent.
I work in Allerton and the area is there is much better than Bedford Park.
Finally, thanks to Hustla's honest- no bullsh*t- comments, I have given up on Bedford Park and I am looking for an apartment on the east side of Manhattan. If you are insightful, you can tell I am trying to live along the 4,5, or 6 trains. Any ideas?

Old 07-06-2007, 04:07 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Obviously to each their own. Why don't you just live in Allerton? East side of Manhattan is either in another economic universe or East Harlem, which I doubt you'd like any better.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Obviously I've seen police, but I haven't seen them making all the busts and carrying out all the dead bodies as you imply, and yes there are baseball games on the corner and lots of kids playing, but it's not the suburbs. The suburbs are much quieter. Truthfully I'd prefer to live on a quieter block, but for me it's not a deal breaker.
You do know in the true burbs around NYC, most counties haven't had shootouts in 10-20 years. Drug activity is very minimal. Poverty is low. Housing is roomy, spread out well. Lots of land for activties. Does not sound like the confines of the 52 precinct at all.

It's nothing like the burbs. Kids play on the corners of the South Bronx as well. It's due to a lack of park space. Something the bulk of the Bronx shares. We have many huge parks, but they only serve certain areas. Pelham Bay, Van Courtland, ect. The only big parks in the ghetto are Saint Marys, Crotona, Soundview, Roberto Clemente, and Macoombs. Tremont and Claremont Park are kind of big but horrible condition. Everything else is playgrounds. Basketball courts and the occational baseball field plotted down. Of course being this is the Bronx you don't want to play in many, you need alternatives for the safety of your children. There is also a lot of people per park. More parks and ESPECIALLY greenspace is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I don't recommend the Bronx for people that are not street smart or who have not lived in NYC for a while. But otherwise if you know the ins and outs you can be just fine here, and it's cheap for the most part. Let's hope it stays that way! I wish I could tape the noise inside my building, and right outside of it, so you guys could hear. You'd think I'd live in the burbs or something. I live on a side street, off Fordham road, but it's so quiet here!

I'm not saying all of the BX is like where I live, that would be stupid to say, but there are decent spots.
Oh it will stay cheap thanks to NYCHA, section 8, welfare, LAMP, HUD, HFH, Mitchell Lama and many other low income housing programs. You get what you pay for. A low cost apartment in Country Club is a steal. A cheap apartment in Castle Hill is a rip off, it ain't cheap enough for the all the crap that goes on in that area for example. Bronx has the most low income housing in the nation, which is why it's the poorest urban borough in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
Hustla718 is right. Bedford Park is a dump. I went to the area yesterday. The area above Mosholu Pkwy (north of Tracey Towers) was decent. However, anywhere in Bedford Park proper is rundown. There are lots of young people (3 high schools and Lehman College) and they are NOT happy. I honestly think the people who post here and say the area is gravy are either living in a fantasy world or a real estate agent.
I work in Allerton and the area is there is much better than Bedford Park.
Finally, thanks to Hustla's honest- no bullsh*t- comments, I have given up on Bedford Park and I am looking for an apartment on the east side of Manhattan. If you are insightful, you can tell I am trying to live along the 4,5, or 6 trains. Any ideas?
I wouldn't go as far as calling it a dump. The dump is south of Bedford Park Blvd. Horrible area. I would call Bedford Park (Bedford Park Blvd to Moshulo) an undesireable place to live. Swaths and pockets of bad blocks close to Bedford Park Blvd, swaths of okay areas near Mosholu. The bull**** just takes the whole area down. North of Mosholu, Norwood, a steadily declineing neighborhood. Good and bad blocks. Better places to live.

For the East side, try to avoid anything north of 96th Street or close to the PJ's of the L.E.S. A lot of people are able to find affordable apartments on the Upper East Side. Nice neighborhood. True NYC living.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-06-2007 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-06-2007, 05:42 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,909 times
/\ Outside of the hot spot around 125st and the Pathmark, I find East Harlem to be kinda okay. And as for the Bronx, beileve it or not, I heard that the farther south and West you go, the better (Meaning around the stadium and Concourse).

Old 07-06-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
/\ Outside of the hot spot around 125st and the Pathmark, I find East Harlem to be kinda okay. And as for the Bronx, beileve it or not, I heard that the farther south and West you go, the better (Meaning around the stadium and Concourse).
As someone who worked the 42 precinct and still works the Bronx in a high crime precinct I will not release. I would have to disagree. I'm actually surprised you know about 125 and Lex, what a dump. East Harlem is ****ty becuase there are way too many bad blocks. That neighborhood is all about good secure buildings. The yuppies live in them. Only in the ghetto do you have drive-bys in front of police precincts that leave bullet scars near the entrance. 23rd Precinct a couple weekends ago for example.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 PM

564 posts, read 1,726,962 times
I'm new to the site, and I live in the Van Cortlandt Village section of the Bronx. Two posts above, a very disturbing comment was made:

Quote:
And as for the Bronx, beileve it or not, I heard that the farther south and West you go, the better (Meaning around the stadium and Concourse).
You don't know how wrong you are. The southwest Bronx is the worst part of the Bronx, and has been for the last four decades. Crime, poverty, all of that is predominate in the South-West Bronx.

I'd say the North-West (Riverdale, Woodlawn, and Van Cortlandt Village) and South-East (Throgs Neck, Country Club) sections of the Bronx are easily the best, safest, and cleanest sections of the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City