U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:31 PM

37 posts, read 118,235 times

Advertisements

That's very disappointing since I was hoping to be fairly involved in the community... Will it be like that in any affordable, primarily black/hispanic neighborhood in Brooklyn or the Bronx? Or just in neighborhoods where gentrification is a major issue right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 05:37 PM

92 posts, read 172,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71196 View Post
That's very disappointing since I was hoping to be fairly involved in the community... Will it be like that in any affordable, primarily black/hispanic neighborhood in Brooklyn or the Bronx? Or just in neighborhoods where gentrification is a major issue right now?
You will always be perceived as an outsider in any neighborhood you are a minority. That applies on racial grounds as it does on economic grounds.

Being white and not as wealthy are you are perceived to be is the worst. You can't fit in anywhere.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:06 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,104,105 times
It is what it is. You can't change what other people think so I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you're respectful you shouldn't have a problem. I don't know anyone in Bed-Stuy, but I have a lot of friends in Harlem, Bushwick and Washington Heights. They seem to do fine.

New York is a very diverse place.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:41 PM

966 posts, read 2,140,374 times
I used to work in Bed-Stuy, back when it was rough. But even then the White and middle-class students and professors were fine in the neighborhood as long as they were kind, focused, and, as already noted here, respectful. Fitting in is not always possible even for Blacks, such as myself, who are not perceived as being "urban" enough. What is possible is to be yourself, let others be themselves, and find your place in the neighborhood. Getting involved, while it won't be easy at first, would be the best thing I think. Get to know people, and let them get to know you. Just my take on it.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:18 PM

Good advice, Nala. I'm just concerned about it because I don't know anyone in NY... I was hoping to make friends in my new neighborhood. Hopefully after people get to know me they'll be more accepting.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:10 AM

10,863 posts, read 26,912,808 times
I don't know that I'd recommend living in Bed-Stuy, right now, since the area is in flux. True, parts of it have started to turn around, but much has been stalled by the real estate market. There are still some very bad areas in that neighborhood that require someone to be experienced with a dense urban NYC neighborhood in transition, and it might not be the easiest adjustment for someone coming from out of the city. I'm a native, and it would be a large adjustment, bordering on culture shock, for me.

On the plus side, there are some great old brownstones in Bed-Stuy, which has a very large collection of them in the Brownstone Brooklyn, but there are fundamental socioeconomic issues that come into play. And, not all of the buildings have been renovated, and many don't have original period details intact, so the housing stock is not back to other areas such as Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights which have similar architecture.

Some hipsters have moved into Bed-Stuy, but with Williamsburg crashing, many hipsters may not be priced out of the area in which they currently live, hence no need to continue colonization of other areas of the city.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 AM

0 posts, read 1,395,150 times
I think many New Yorkers are just jealous of hipsters.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 AM

Thanks for the advice, bmw, I haven't been offered the job yet, so moving there is still speculative. If I am offered the job, which nearby neighborhoods would you recommend that I look into? I need somewhere very cheap and easy to get to by bus or subway.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:50 AM

10,863 posts, read 26,912,808 times
Ridgewood, Queens is pretty safe and calm, and it's not terribly far away, but it's likely going to mean a two-bus commute, or bus and train as there are not many other options to/from Ridgewood. Clinton Hill is decent as is Fort Greene, though some of the offerings can get pricey, depending upon the apartment.

Ozone Park, Queens is on the A train that would take you to Bed-Stuy and it's a middle class neighborhood that's pretty stable. South Ozone Park, however, is a different place entirely, and I'd not be quick to recommend it. Similarly, Woodhaven and Richmond Hill, Queens, might have something to offer, but they're going to be two buses or a bus to subway combination to get to Bed-Stuy.

Parts of Bushwick are not terrible, but the better parts are those that border Ridgewood, Queens. Ridgewood has a different police precinct that does not have the same issues as Bushwick does the closer you get to East New York and Brownsville.

Midwood, Kensington, Bay Ridge, and Sheepshead Bay are all decent, but they're a hike to get to Bed-Stuy, either multiple transfers or two buses. Downtown Brooklyn is decent, and with the real estate slump hitting, you might find something there that might not be a bad bet.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:33 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,192,296 times
Yes, Bed Stuy might not be the wisest choice since the hood is in flux and there may be a lot of resentment, some of it justifiable, some not.

I too wanted to get more involved in the community when I moved to the Bx but I think I was being a bit naieve. There are good people and bad people everywhere, but there's also a thug culture which can be very tricky. This is probably true of any big city and even certain burbs. Yes, attitude is very important but be wary as well, particularly since you are coming into a very different environment.

Some people may try to take advantage of you while appearing "nice," so it's a fine line between being respectful and being seen as a "sucker."

If you move to an area like Bed Stuy you may become so disenchanted that you flee asap (lol) so I'd recommend starting with an area which has more "hipsters" or middle class of whatever background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or