U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 AM

37 posts, read 118,225 times

Advertisements

Everyone's giving great advice. It does sound as if I'm in for a huge culture shock and I do think I'm pretty naive, too. A lot of things I hear about the 'hood in NY are so far outside my normal experiences that I'm not sure I fully understand what I would need to do to be safe there. We have an inner city here too of course, with some rough areas, but NY doesn't sound anything like any of the neighborhoods here in Cleveland. I've applied for jobs in the Bronx too... Comparing Bed-Stuy to places in the South Bronx, which would be a more desirable area to live? The real problem is that I don't have much money, so I need to live somewhere very, very cheap. I think most of the areas that bmw mentioned are a little more expensive. I can't rent my own apartment regardless of neighborhood, so I'm planning on renting a room in someone's house or finding roomates. The most I could pay would be maybe $600 a month but that would be reaching...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 11:48 AM

10,863 posts, read 26,909,925 times
You might stand a chance in some of the areas I mentioned at $600, but it's going to be a very small room for rent, and/or a one in a million type of thing.

I'd say that the South Bronx is going to be the better of the two areas in terms of work, etc., primarily because the area of the Bronx in which you're looking (from the other thread) has more going on that's not tied to the culture of the streets, what with the court houses, stadium, hospital, etc. Many more people commute into/out of that area on a daily basis, so it's busier with people who do not reside in the area. Bed-Stuy, in comparison, is a little more difficult to pin down, since some areas are very nice, such as some blocks in Stuyvesant Heights, and others are where even the police don't like to go.

Now, in the Bronx, you'd be slightly west of this area, as Highbridge is its own neighborhood that is distinct from The Concourse (as most areas are in that part of The Bronx), but if you use The Concourse to commute and some of the streets nearer the stadium/courthouse for some of the restaurants, etc., it's completely different than it being a typical inner city neighborhood. Bed-Stuy is larger and a bit more difficult to pin down, since it merges with a swath of inner city areas in Brooklyn with huge numbers of housing projects, Brownsville and East New York which lie to the east. In the Highbridge area, there are housing projects, but they are not as overwhelming as they are in parts of Bed-Stuy and adjacent areas, since in The Bronx that's further down around Mott Haven.

How long a commute would be preferred to Bed-Stuy? There might be some places that would be a little more affordable, but they're a tad further away.

And, in The Bronx, you could find a decent block in Bedford Park, Kingsbridge, and some of Kingsbridge Heights/Fordham (but it's block by block, especially for someone new to the area).

Old 07-17-2009, 12:22 PM

Thanks, that was very helpful, bmw. I've been reading articles about the areas to try and get a better sense of them and I think I'd prefer the Bronx to Brooklyn, actually. But I'll have to wait and see about the jobs. As far as commute time, I'd like to keep it fairly short, without a lot of bus changes etc.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:40 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,103,101 times
The Bronx to Bed-Stuy is a long commute. You'd have to go throught the whole of Manhattan before you even get to Brooklyn.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 PM

Oh, yes. I wasn't very clear above. I'm actually deciding between a few different jobs. If I accept the job in Bed-Stuy I certainly won't live in the Bronx. One of my other prospective jobs is in Highbridge and that's what bmw was referring to. I was asking if it would be better to live and work in the South Bronx or live and work in Bed-Stuy. What do you think? I'm leaning toward the South Bronx at this point. I'm not sure that Bed-Stuy really appeals to me.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:28 PM

2,926 posts, read 3,867,560 times
Bed-Stuy/Crown Heights seem pretty chill to me. I know some serious thuggery goes down in those areas, but quite frankly, I feel better there than in Harlem. The projects you're refering to don't really start until you get solidly into Brownsville.

The South Bronx seems okay too. Gritty and very poor, but not a horror show like years past. If you want to see pure warzone, I'd recommend Far Rock/Brownsville and especally Newark, NJ

Old 07-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Well it's not really the crime that's turning me off to Bed-Stuy. I know everyone thinks of Ohio as being racist, but there are plenty of wonderful, racially diverse neighborhoods where I've lived and worked, and racism is not something I've typically seen here, toward any racial group. The idea of living somewhere where the white population and the black population are somehow at odds seems really foreign to me, especially to do it in a city as diverse as NYC. I've always thought of NY as an accepting, diverse place and it's upsetting to think that black members of my community, should I move to Bed-Stuy, may not be interesting in getting to know me based on the color of my skin. I could, of course, try making friends with the white middle class residents, but I'd feel really uncomfortable having all white friends in the largest black neighborhood in the world.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 PM

LOL. In america, LOL.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:41 AM

966 posts, read 2,140,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71196 View Post
Well it's not really the crime that's turning me off to Bed-Stuy. I know everyone thinks of Ohio as being racist, but there are plenty of wonderful, racially diverse neighborhoods where I've lived and worked, and racism is not something I've typically seen here, toward any racial group. The idea of living somewhere where the white population and the black population are somehow at odds seems really foreign to me, especially to do it in a city as diverse as NYC. I've always thought of NY as an accepting, diverse place and it's upsetting to think that black members of my community, should I move to Bed-Stuy, may not be interesting in getting to know me based on the color of my skin. I could, of course, try making friends with the white middle class residents, but I'd feel really uncomfortable having all white friends in the largest black neighborhood in the world.
I can understand your concerns, OP, but then again it goes back to what I wrote earlier. A lot will depend on you. If you move into a neighborhood that is predominantly Black (or any other ethnic group), if you do your thing, get involved, and treat everyone with respect, you will be fine. Try not to let the fearmongering turn you around or turn you off. You should have heard the kind of stuff people told me about NYC before I moved here thirteen years ago. Jeez. If I had listened, I would not be here. No, it will not be easy at first. There will be those who, due to years of having to deal with racial hostility and assumptions, will cast their suspicions on you and try to distance you. But in many cases they are really just testing you out. It sucks. I know. I've been there. Omg, it took about three years for my neighbors to accept me here in Harlem. Now, after five years, I am finding it surprisingly hard to leave. I will be moving back to Madison, Wisconsin in August; where the shoe will be on the other foot. As liberal as Madison is, having lived there before I already know that I will encounter people who will make assumptions about me--until they get to know me. In many instances, I will have to be the one to take the high road by being myself, being friendly, being respectful and open, and setting gentle but clear boundaries with folks who think that I have a contagious disease just because of the color of my skin. lol. Gimme a break. Hope this helps. Follow your heart.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:24 AM

Thanks, Nala. Yes, it does help. I'll try and take your advice and hope for the best, whatever neighborhood I ultimately choose. Sorry to hear that you've experienced racism in Madison; I wouldn't have thought there'd be much there, although I guess there are racists in every community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or