Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 19,840 times

Advertisements

I am considering to a month in NYC (coming from South FL) to get more a resident experience than a tourist. I have been to NYC many times and have a lot of family.

I would prefer to stay in a 4 to 5 star for this amount of time and I know its going to be expensive... Its just easier for me, but I'm open to ideas.

I am thinking October will be good weather wise...

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
try a sublet instead? it'd be cheaper, IMO.
you'd get more of a real experience, too.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:46 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
October is the best month. But I don't know about hotels. What neighborhood do you want to be in? How old are you?

Old 07-17-2009, 07:52 AM

I'm 29... Good to know october is a good month to go.

I'd like to do a hotel, because I'll need an office for about 4 hours daily and several are setup for this....

I'll then be working off my laptop at various wifi hot spots.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:00 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
If you have the cash for it, you want something like the AKA Hotel (AKA Luxury Extended Stay Hotel and Furnished Apartments in New York, Philadelphia, Arlington, and Washington, DC - The Next Generation of Luxury Accomodations and Suites - Short Term Corporate Housing Accommodations). It's an extended stay luxury hotel. I took a look at the rates and they don't seem to cut you much slack for an "extended stay." I don't know what the advantage is. Personally, if I were staying for a month I wouldn't want to be in Midtown (unless I had an office to go to).

The hotels have been hit hard by the recession so I imagine you could negotiate a decent rate if you called them directly. I would try a smaller hotel downtown. For example 60 Thompson in SoHo (. : THOMPSON HOTELS : 60 Thompson is a luxury boutique hotel in SoHo, NYC : .). It's a more relaxed area with better restaurants and shopping.

Lots of rooms in boutique hotels that were going for $400 at night two years ago are now down to around $200 at night. I wouldn't go much higher than that in this market unless it's a suite or has a spectacular view.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
A few other options:

The Gramercy Park Hotel (Gramercy Park Hotel, a New York Luxury Boutique Hotel). This is a grand, old hotel right on Gramercy Park that was completely renovated a few years ago by Ian Schrager. The bar on the roof is spectacular.

The Hotel Gansevoort (Manhattan Luxury Hotel | Hudson River | Gansevoort | New York City Hotels) in ground-zero of the Meatpacking District. Very happening on weekends with the 20-something crowd. A bit too much in my opinion, but you might like it.

The Standard (The Standard Hotel - New York Hotel) is the newest and trendiest of the new and trendy hotels. Andre Balazs built it on top of the High Line (The High Line), the new elevated park in Chelsea. I've not been in it yet, but the views are supposed to be stunning.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:13 PM

thank tpk... i'll check out all these links.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:33 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
A suite might be better because if you're there for one month at some point you'll want a kitchen. Eating out for every meal for a month will be tiresome and you'll probably gain a lot of weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City