U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 05:05 PM

19 posts, read 80,053 times

Advertisements

We all hear of strugglilng actors. Is it possible for an actor to make it in NYC at all especially if they live with another person?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:13 PM

11,149 posts, read 14,981,531 times
Anything is possible. It's highly unlikely, but possible.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:14 PM

19 posts, read 80,053 times
anybody have any numbers they would like to offer me

Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 PM

11,149 posts, read 14,981,531 times
You'll get the best information from the various actors' unions:

SAG
AFTRA
Equity

They can tell you the employment rate for their members (seems to me that, on average, typically less than 20% of union members actually earn a living wage).

If you're non-union, you'll be hard-pressed to find enough paying gigs to support yourself.

So, let me clarify -- yes, you can support yourself. Just not as an actor. However, there are thousands of actors in the city who DO support themselves by other means (clerical, waitstaff, etc.) while they persue their theatrical dreams.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:07 PM

346 posts, read 1,192,173 times
Basically, like anywhere else its all about being the right person at the right place at the right time. But don't hold your breath that your dreams will come true. Pursue it if your serious about it, but keep in mind a plan B that would become a full time alternative career.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,399,817 times
It's a struggle anywhere. It seems, at times, that most waitstaff in NYC restaurants are aspiring actors.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:16 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,021,116 times
of course you will have to struggle if you really want to become an actor.

It'll be tough getting in the union but if you pay your dues long enough you will. When I was putting myself through school a few years ago while working every odd job or dangerous one time job there was ALWAYS someone there who was aspiring to be an actor or musician (my field). This is a great thing though, because eventually your going to create a huge network of all these actors/artists/musicians you work with in these jobs and although right now there in the same boat as you, eventually down the line there career and your career will progress. When they need to call someone for an employment opportunity they WILL call you, you never know. I say this now because I see it happening with many of the friends i've worked with over the past 7 years, and its a great thing in a time like this to get a call from a friend offering you some employment or extra $$$ vice versa.

but YOU have to put in the work also, you need to have tough skin and a hard work ethic.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:27 AM

4,502 posts, read 12,743,528 times
Try www.backstage.com and go to the message boards there.

Acting is a VERY tough profession and even those who have great skills, great looks, etc don't make it. They say you "may" get one job for every 100 auditions you go on. And let's not forget how hard it is to get an agent or manager ---- they get 1000s of submissions per week and you're lucky if your headshot happens to pop out at them and they call you.

I know people who make a living off doing background work (you only make $75/day for non-union or $125 for union) but background work is not easy. It's typically a 10-12 hour day of standing around and waiting. The good part is, they feed you well. LOL! The people who I know who do it share an apartment in Queens and it's subsidized housing, so their rent isn't all that much. I don't think a person could make a living off background work otherwise.

Getting into the unions is crazy. You can get SAG eligible by doing background on 3 or more union jobs. However, union fees are EXPENSIVE and, once you're in the union, you can't do any non union work, so it limits you.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:18 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,645,008 times
What do you mean by "make it in New York"? Do you mean being able to pay your bills and have a fulfilling life? Or do you mean being able to support yourself entirely by acting?

The first is a definite yes. The second is almost a definite no. The only theater jobs that pay a living wage are Broadway. Unless you do musical theater they are nearly impossible to get. Most of the actors doing plays are bona-fide stars or are already somewhat famous.

It's sometimes possible to get an Off-Broadway role, but the union scale is very low. Most people I know who do Off-Broadway have day- or a least part time jobs. The thing is, if you're in an Off-Broadway show you've reached a very high level of success. Those are not easy jobs to get. The problem is the economics of Off-Broadway make it very difficult for anyone (producers included) to make money.

Most actors who make a living at it do a combination of jobs: New York stage work for prestige and credibility, and then the odd small TV part (soap opera walkons and Law and Order), regional theater and summer stock to make a little money. You can make a tremendous amount to money doing commercials (I've known people who've made $100k off of a single national commercial) but they're very, very hard to get.

If you're on the creative end: acting, directing, writing, designing, your chances of making a living solely from creative work are very, very low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City