U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,970 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My 60 year old mother decided to leave the comfort of her home in the midwest to live in the big city. Yikes!

I need help with locating a safe neighborhood with low-rental costs (under $1,000 for a 1bed), easy driving, access to some type of commuter transit to new york, and a fair amount of diversity. Is this possible in the NY metro area?

It doesn't have to be in the city/boroughs proper (although this would be preferred) but at least within an hour commute of manhattan by car /transit. Any ideas? Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 07:42 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,106,895 times
you should also check out the general ny forum and the nj forum there are probably similiar threads already on there that can also answer this question, as well as helpful posters on this nyc forum.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:56 PM

11,702 posts, read 22,373,702 times
Maybe Staten Island?

Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 PM

346 posts, read 1,150,285 times
Honestly no. Rents here start at 1000, and more than likely will fall someplace between 1500-8000 depending on the amount of rooms and the location. I think the city has tried to live in this fantasy world were empty nesters like your mom would move in and keep the housing market alive while a new set of foolish 20 somethings came along to buy condos they couldn't afford, but the reality of the situation that NYC is too expensive for a retiree to take part in unless they bought property and paid off their mortgage.

As for the car, well some things you just have to let go. Although the cost of the subway would be about $1082.83 a year for unlimited rides (pay per ride is more expensive in this case), its still cheaper than the cost of owning a car in the city. In the outer boroughs its not a big deal, but Manhattan makes it impossible. The only way I'd suggest otherwise is if you were driving around a motorcycle/scooter, which at this point is cheaper that taking the subway, though I doubt your 60 year old mom would be interested in that sort of thing.

The only real options to go around the high rents is to go upstate, more than likely somewhere around Poughkeepsie, way out in Long Island, or somewhere in Central Jersey. That being said I'm not sure she'd be too thrilled with moving from one suburb to another.

Wait a year and see where real estate turns. Williamsburg is about to collapse so rents are going to be cheap there next year.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:30 PM

10,864 posts, read 26,954,736 times
I would look in areas that would include Nyack and Pearl River in Rockland County. In the city, I would look in parts of Queens, but areas like Bayside or Floral Park open up around $1200 for a 1BR.

In New Jersey, you might find something in Fort Lee or Teaneck, but it's likely going to be a conversion in a house as opposed to an apartment building at or near $1000. They're so convenient, being on the other side of the bridge that the prices are comparatively higher, probably around $1100-$1200 for a 1BR. However, NJTransit is extensive, with rail and bus service, such that she could live in a nice community a little further out and still have a realtively easy commute to NYC.

Montclair and Nutley might be good bets for a 1BR under $1k, or at $1k. Madison and Summit are great areas, but at $1k or below, it's going to be difficult, but perhaps not impossible right at $1k for an apartment in a converted older home. A little further out in the same direction, Morristown is nice and some older home conversions, which are common in this part of NJ, might be under $1k, but there may not be many from which to choose, since the area is affluent.

If you're open to Connecticut, I would look in Stamford, Norwalk, and Danbury. One does have to be careful in parts of these areas, however, since there are some sections in each that are a little more run down, similar to Port Chester in Westchester County.

I think if you look, it could be feasible, but NJ might offer the most selection, or Rockland County, NY, both of which have bus/rail access to Manhattan. Good luck in the search.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 PM

33,187 posts, read 34,135,522 times
It is possible to get a large studio apt. in Queens for under $1000 in a rent stablized building in a safe area with good public transportation to Manhattan.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,970 times
Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone!!!! Its going to be a difficult search. Based on your comments, I'm thinking that Northern New Jersey or Queens may be her best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City