U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:10 PM

48 posts, read 104,584 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have any information on the frequency of hiring under this last PCO exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 01:36 PM

260 posts, read 186,084 times
Frequency of hiring is a little difficult to figure out but you can see people who have been appointed through ELMS Online:
https://www.cs.ny.gov/elmspublic

There is also another PCO Exam coming up this April.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeynutcocopuffs View Post
Frequency of hiring is a little difficult to figure out but you can see people who have been appointed through ELMS Online:
https://www.cs.ny.gov/elmspublic

There is also another PCO Exam coming up this April.

Thanks for the response and the info. I did receive email notification about this exam being offered again, but I have no interest in taking it. I took it twice: In '09 and '14, scoring 100% both times. In '09, they slapped on a hiring freeze that wiped out a huge amount of time on the eligible list. In '14, for whatever reason, they just didn't hire that many people - especially in the NY Metro area. And then they arbitrarily cut the eligible list duration down to two years. I recognize that there were some people who were successful in getting hired through this exam, but *my* experience tells me that it's not a very good avenue to take in trying to obtain employment in state government. I'm almost certain that there are better ways to go about it.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:32 AM

I did a Ctrl+F on the full eligible list for these words:
Total Eligibles = 21599
Active = 20581
Inactive = 502
Appointed = 500
Appointment Pending = 16

The PCO is a general exam. More targeted or job-specific exams (https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc) probably have a better frequency of hiring in that sense.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I did a Ctrl+F on the full eligible list for these words:
Total Eligibles = 21599
Active = 20581
Inactive = 502
Appointed = 500
Appointment Pending = 16

The PCO is a general exam. More targeted or job-specific exams (https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc) probably have a better frequency of hiring in that sense.

Wow, that's approximately 2.5%. I think that Yale Law and I.I.T. have better acceptance rates. I'm not all that surprised by this because I had a strong hunch that it was so. I don't know why anyone would waste their time taking this test going forward. They got me twice, sorry to say; but not anymore. Scraping barnacles off the side of an old bulkhead would be a more productive use of one's time than taking this exam.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:34 PM

8,623 posts, read 9,035,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtus_VII View Post
Wow, that's approximately 2.5%. I think that Yale Law and I.I.T. have better acceptance rates. I'm not all that surprised by this because I had a strong hunch that it was so. I don't know why anyone would waste their time taking this test going forward. They got me twice, sorry to say; but not anymore. Scraping barnacles off the side of an old bulkhead would be a more productive use of one's time than taking this exam.

Hi. I tried to DM you about the exam, but apparently you have blocked some CD options on your profile.
I'd still like to discuss some things about the PFO exam, but prefer not to disclose my personal information publicly. If you don't mind, could you DM me and give me a way to respond. I promise, I will be brief

I do think that the state and local Civil Service route for all exams is just another revenue stream.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:40 AM

Well it may not work out for some people, but it's an option for others. 500 people did get hired off the current exam eligibles list. I was hired off another exam list 6 years ago, and I know many others friends and acquaintances that have as well. The "acceptance rate" might be low, but just like the lottery, you gotta play to win.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:50 PM

Also, the current PCO exam (26240) hasn't been arbitrarily cut to 2 years: Eligibility Start/End is still 07/05/2017-07/05/2021.

It also helps if you are approved for specialties and other sub-lists. There was an optional section to fill out when applying for the exam. For example, if someone has accounting or healthcare management experience, that may put them on a shorter list of candidates for jobs that require that background.

The score and rank matter as well. Currently, only those who scored 100 points or more have been appointed. There are just over 10,000 individuals who scored 100 or more. It seems unlikely the bottom half of the list (about another 10,000 people) will be called, and they may be better off taking the PCO exam again for another chance, esp. given the rule of 3 (https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/faq/...theruleofthree).

Old 01-31-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Hi. I tried to DM you about the exam, but apparently you have blocked some CD options on your profile.
I'd still like to discuss some things about the PFO exam, but prefer not to disclose my personal information publicly. If you don't mind, could you DM me and give me a way to respond. I promise, I will be brief

I do think that the state and local Civil Service route for all exams is just another revenue stream.
If you keep your info generic you should be able to make your point without any personal disclosures. I will respond on this forum only.

Last edited by Sixtus_VII; 01-31-2019 at 07:50 AM..

Old 01-31-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Well it may not work out for some people, but it's an option for others. 500 people did get hired off the current exam eligibles list. I was hired off another exam list 6 years ago, and I know many others friends and acquaintances that have as well. The "acceptance rate" might be low, but just like the lottery, you gotta play to win.
I'm not arguing with what you're saying. For me, I came to the conclusion that, given other alternatives that are out there, this particular option is no longer worth the time and effort to pursue it. As far as the lottery analogy, the marginal odds of success increase exponentially - infinitely - between the choice of no participation vs. *some* participation. That's why I never play more than $2 on the PB or MB on that rare occasion when I decide to play a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City