Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:06 AM

546 posts, read 763,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The PCO is just meant to draw a general pool for entry level positions. You still need to interview to land a position. Once you are in the system and looking at specific career paths some of the exams are very specific and can be difficult.
NYS exams are harder than City, City is simpler, NYS is just annoying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 02:47 PM

49 posts, read 132,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
NYS exams are harder than City, City is simpler, NYS is just annoying
I don't think this particular state exam is all that difficult. It's kind of like "Regents-lite."

Old 03-13-2017, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,451 times
I am registered to take the test. I've read a lot of what has been said and as a recent grad, I am starting to feel regretful of my Public Administration degree. Any advice on how to push forward in the workforce because apparently I shouldn't be focusing too much on the government

Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacnCheese123 View Post
I am registered to take the test. I've read a lot of what has been said and as a recent grad, I am starting to feel regretful of my Public Administration degree. Any advice on how to push forward in the workforce because apparently I shouldn't be focusing too much on the government
Well ultimately you have to see what works out for you. You can do very well with your degree working in government.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
At the previous agency I worked I knew two younger bright accountants and one of them was already looking to move into nyc civil service instead.
I can't argue with that logic at all. I just scored very high on a C.S. exam for an Accountant
in local government. If the call comes, that's where I'm going. This odyssey with the state
is over with.

Quote:
There is also the factor of political and non civil service hires which is a big issue in its own right but I don't want to derail the conversation.
Yeah, that's a big factor - especially under this governor. Those are the guys (and gals) who
command the big $. One of them may equal two or three PCO candidates in an agency's
budget.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 13,025 times
I just took the pco exam today at Bronx Community College. The exam was pretty easy. I was able to go over it twice and was done in an hr and a half. However based on the responses in this thread, I'm not too hopeful- even if I pass with a perfect 100. :-(

Old 04-08-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldcountygyal View Post
I just took the pco exam today at Bronx Community College. The exam was pretty easy. I was able to go over it twice and was done in an hr and a half. However based on the responses in this thread, I'm not too hopeful- even if I pass with a perfect 100. :-(
I took the exam in 2014 and scored 100%. I couldn't get one interview in NYC or LI.
The state's revenue stream has been fairly healthy during this time period, too. So,
I'm at a loss to explain it - other than to say that, perhaps they wanted to place more
entry level people upstate. I sincerely hope that your experience with this is better
than mine. Did they tell you how long you can expect to wait for the results? It took
them five months to e-mail the results for the 2014 exam.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:35 AM

259 posts, read 268,183 times
Took it this past Saturday at Brooklyn Tech. Long line, last people didn't get into the building until 10:40am (start time scheduled 9:30). We'll see how it turns out. I don't plan to work for the NYSIF but if they call me in for an interview I will bring this thread printed out

Old 04-10-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeynutcocopuffs View Post
Took it this past Saturday at Brooklyn Tech. Long line, last people didn't get into the building until 10:40am (start time scheduled 9:30). We'll see how it turns out. I don't plan to work for the NYSIF but if they call me in for an interview I will bring this thread printed out
I don't remember waiting in any lines for this test ('09 & '14). I took it out on Long Island, though ... so that might explain some things. Your best chance to get a job from this exam is to be willing to go to Albany. That might change, but it's been true for the last two test cycles.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 AM

259 posts, read 268,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtus_VII View Post
I don't remember waiting in any lines for this test ('09 & '14). I took it out on Long Island, though ... so that might explain some things. Your best chance to get a job from this exam is to be willing to go to Albany. That might change, but it's been true for the last two test cycles.
Probably less people in Long Island. We were in the Saturday morning group. The exam proctors were running around trying to get things going because there was also an afternoon group. And, at least one other exam group on Sunday morning as well. I'm already working for the state, taking this test is just back up and curiosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City