Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times

Advertisements

I took the NY Civil Service Professional Careers Test back in March just as a backup or something to consider. The aim of the test is to find qualified people for potential management positions in NY Government. I recently got my score back and I scored very well on it. I got 100 and my current rank is 22 (thousands of people took this test). The benefits and comparative stability of government work attract me somewhat. I would like to know if they are even hiring off this list at the moment? My results letter was vague. If anyone is within the system or has some insight it would be appreciated. I know there is a hiring freeze in a lot of positions but some things are hiring, sparsely albeit. Any info would be appreciated.

From what I've read they had not done this test in four years and they had a much higher turnout than they expected (mostly due to the bad economy and so many unemployed people).

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 07-20-2009 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:26 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,823 times
When positions become available, they will begin the process of calling/writing you. I have taken plenty of civil service test. I have always been called within 6 months. I have naver taken the postions because within that time frame I have found stable work. Like now, I have taken several test, and have found me another stable job (from which I probably will retire, (GOD WILLING) !) I have always been called back, again may not been until about 6 months later, and this was with me scoring between 90-80 was my lowest. Now... The list are sooo long with people who passed. So it may take some time. But when you least expect it (or have a new job), they will contact you.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:29 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Is there an age limit for hiring in these positions (Civil Service Professional)? I would love to take a test like this and get a civil service job.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Is there an age limit for hiring in these positions (Civil Service Professional)? I would love to take a test like this and get a civil service job.

Depends on the postions. Law enforcement cut off age i think is 35. Clerical/Professional civil service test seem to have no age limit. I saw people who were well past retirement age taking test .

Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 39,480 times
I also took the New York Professional Career Test (not the management one, the regular exam) and scored well. If you look at the lists, there's over 7,000 eligible candidates and over 20 who scored better than 100 (because of their extra veteran points).

Do you know if you have to apply for the positions or will they call/write to you automatically? I'm not sure what I am suppose to do next.

The next available PCT exam will be in 2013 but you can find other civil service exams and other positions at Join the New York State Workforce » Department of Civil Service.

The minimum age is different for every position so you have to check and most positions require a high school diploma or bachelors degree. The PCT exam required a bachelors degree.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
I have a Bachelors Degree. I was wondering because I'm 47 and have been doing various jobs since having my DD 10 1/2 years ago rather than work in my field. I never wanted to leave her with babysitters or in day care. Now that she's almost 11, I figure if I take a CS Professional Careers test and get on the list, I may be called in a year or two when I'll feel more comfortable having her be home by herself for a few hours after school.

Thanks for the link... I'll check it out. Is there also a link for NYC jobs (I think the city pays better than the state)

Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocando View Post
I also took the New York Professional Career Test (not the management one, the regular exam) and scored well. If you look at the lists, there's over 7,000 eligible candidates and over 20 who scored better than 100 (because of their extra veteran points).

Do you know if you have to apply for the positions or will they call/write to you automatically? I'm not sure what I am suppose to do next.

The next available PCT exam will be in 2013 but you can find other civil service exams and other positions at Join the New York State Workforce » Department of Civil Service.

The minimum age is different for every position so you have to check and most positions require a high school diploma or bachelors degree. The PCT exam required a bachelors degree.
That vague results letter I got in the mail made it seem like I would not have to contact anyone. That they would contact me as positions became open and my number was reached.

One thing I wonder about is if you reject a position do they still keep you on the list or is that it?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:34 PM

No that is it. Like I said before I have rejected lots of positions. If I ever want them I have to start all over. They will send you a notice of appointment to start the process.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 39,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I have a Bachelors Degree. I was wondering because I'm 47 and have been doing various jobs since having my DD 10 1/2 years ago rather than work in my field. I never wanted to leave her with babysitters or in day care. Now that she's almost 11, I figure if I take a CS Professional Careers test and get on the list, I may be called in a year or two when I'll feel more comfortable having her be home by herself for a few hours after school.

Thanks for the link... I'll check it out. Is there also a link for NYC jobs (I think the city pays better than the state)
DCAS ~ Exams & Jobs
I think this is the link for NYC exams and jobs.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:10 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,760 times
So, in order to be considered for ANY Professional NYC city job, you have to take the Civil Exam? You can't just cold apply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City