Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 04:09 PM

33 posts, read 184,066 times

Advertisements

I may begin a job with Chase at the end of this year. Although I am a college student, I will be getting about 40k a year and go to school part time and just finish up the credits I need for my bachelors degree. I prefer to stay in the Bronx where I am as long as I can but my family keeps saying that its no good anymore, oh its changed to much, etc. I live around Morris Park which is considered one of the best areas in the Bronx. Now if you were making money before your degree and earning an even higher salary after you have your degree would you stay in the Bronx or live somewhere else? For instance, if it was a choice between living in Morris Park or living in say Eastchester (Westchester County) where would it be nicer? Some family is considering moving back to New York from Florida, but they tell me that they absolutely hate the Bronx and don't want to go back, say its old news, been there done that. Now, having them close by would be nice, but we are also talking about sharing expenses, possibly renting an apartment. I don't see what is so bad about Morris Park. I'd rather save the money and live here. Place won't ever change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 04:49 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,997 times
Where will you be working? a branch? HQ in Manhattan?

Old 07-07-2009, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,677 times
stay were your heart is the Bronx rocks! lived here all my life. Im only moving for a better public school for my child. Other wise there is good and bad everywhere and you cant bet the pizza

Old 07-07-2009, 05:20 PM

141 posts, read 340,176 times
im just curious what are your parenst saying changed about morris park?? still lots of home owners, and still safe?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM

My family tells me its changing. Not that much though. The quality of the people. We all know if Morris Park loses all its Italians its done, it'll become another rundown slum. Van Nest is already garbage Moderator cut: racial slur. But real Italians, like the ones who stay in Morris Park never move, therefore the nieghborhood won't change. lol. I say that because its the truth. When anyone asks what areas are nice to live in in the Bronx, everyone instantly recommends the following: Morris Park, Throgsneck, Pelham Parkway, Pelham Bay, Riverdale, and Country Club. All majority white areas. And all of them with the exception of Riverdale are mostly Italian. Remember Pelham Parkway extends out to Jacobi. Once you hit Williamsbridge Road its mostly Italian. The Pelham Parkway by White Plains Rd. is still pretty good, but its getting disgusting looking. Need to clean up the graffitti, this isn't the South Bronx. And most of the Jewish population is gone, a couple of older jewish people, but the younger ones have moved on. From time to time you see some little orthodox kids running around, but nowadays its changed for the worse. I may work for Chase either in Manhattan or in White Plains. Not sure yet. But still, having a car and being able to get around without one when you just want to run to the store real quick is a nice feature about staying here, plus I don't need to worry about schools either. I'm going to Baruch now so I don't want to move and pay five times the price for the Metro North, plus have to drive to the train station. I live a block away from the 5 train in Morris Park right now. Can't beat that right?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-14-2009 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: No need for the racial slur, thanks.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:46 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaReSe67 View Post
I don't see what is so bad about Morris Park. I'd rather save the money and live here. Place won't ever change.
I think you just answered your question for yourself right here!

Btw, I made $35,000 right out of college, so $40,000 is not that much to live on if you move out on your own. Your probably better off saving money and you can always move out later if you decide for yourself that the neighborhood is changing too much for you.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 AM

197 posts, read 895,181 times
I'd stay in Morris Park. As of now I think that neighborhood is perfectly fine. When you save some more money and get a couple of pay raises then consider moving to Westchester or Rockland and taking the Metro North to work. But Morris Park as far as I have seen and heard is a solid safe neighborhood with relatively close public transportation ( I believe the 5 train and several bus stops).

Old 07-13-2009, 09:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
I may begin a job with Chase at the end of this year. Although I am a college student, I will be getting about 40k a year and go to school part time and just finish up the credits I need for my bachelors degree. I prefer to stay in the Bronx where I am as long as I can but my family keeps saying that its no good anymore, oh its changed to much, etc. I live around Morris Park which is considered one of the best areas in the Bronx. Now if you were making money before your degree and earning an even higher salary after you have your degree would you stay in the Bronx or live somewhere else? For instance, if it was a choice between living in Morris Park or living in say Eastchester (Westchester County) where would it be nicer? Some family is considering moving back to New York from Florida, but they tell me that they absolutely hate the Bronx and don't want to go back, say its old news, been there done that. Now, having them close by would be nice, but we are also talking about sharing expenses, possibly renting an apartment. I don't see what is so bad about Morris Park. I'd rather save the money and live here. Place won't ever change.
Don't let others ultimately dictate what you do with major decisions in your life. The Bronx is cheap and when your young and don't have your own family to worry about yet it is much smarter to save, save, save.

As a sidenote, most of the people I find are the biggest critics of the Bronx haven't even stepped foot in the BX in years. Something to think about.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
My family tells me its changing. Not that much though. The quality of the people. We all know if Morris Park loses all its Italians its done, it'll become another rundown slum. Van Nest is already garbage Moderator cut: racial slur. But real Italians, like the ones who stay in Morris Park never move, therefore the nieghborhood won't change. lol. I say that because its the truth. When anyone asks what areas are nice to live in in the Bronx, everyone instantly recommends the following: Morris Park, Throgsneck, Pelham Parkway, Pelham Bay, Riverdale, and Country Club. All majority white areas. And all of them with the exception of Riverdale are mostly Italian. Remember Pelham Parkway extends out to Jacobi. Once you hit Williamsbridge Road its mostly Italian. The Pelham Parkway by White Plains Rd. is still pretty good, but its getting disgusting looking. Need to clean up the graffitti, this isn't the South Bronx. And most of the Jewish population is gone, a couple of older jewish people, but the younger ones have moved on. From time to time you see some little orthodox kids running around, but nowadays its changed for the worse. I may work for Chase either in Manhattan or in White Plains. Not sure yet. But still, having a car and being able to get around without one when you just want to run to the store real quick is a nice feature about staying here, plus I don't need to worry about schools either. I'm going to Baruch now so I don't want to move and pay five times the price for the Metro North, plus have to drive to the train station. I live a block away from the 5 train in Morris Park right now. Can't beat that right?
When you say real Italians, you mean Italian-Americans right?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-14-2009 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 07-20-2009, 03:50 PM

No, I mean Italians that stay true to their roots. They still live in the neighborhood and identify with their culture. They recognize who they are and don't lose a part of their identity. But as the neighborhood gets more "diverse" it'll go downhill. It was better when I was a kid, but hey nothing good lasts forever I guess. Always new comers who have to ruin it for the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City