Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 08:24 AM

33 posts, read 110,131 times

Advertisements

My apologies if this is in the wrong section. I live in NYC and have been renting a 3 bdrm apt in M. Park for 3yrs. Lately, I've been getting mild anxiety attacks b/c of minor neighbor issues. In all honesty, they are not minor to me but I'm certain would be to most people.

The block we live on has a new family that moved in and they are loud and right across the street directly in my window view. My upstairs neighbor is loud and we had to address it yesterday. (unfortunately).

The worst part is that our 3 bdrm apt is tiny and we have 2 children and it's too small. My husband lost his job so any hope of moving is delayed until he gets adequate work.

My hope is that someone can offer me a different perspective on what I can focus on. My personality is such that I tend to dwell on this negative.....TINY overcrowded apt, one floor (I miss my old duplex), horrid obnoxious neighbors lack of consideration, ditto to upstairs neighbors...etc... Has anyone experienced a similar predicament?

I told my husband I would "feel" better if I get some boxes and just start packing slowly as a reminder that we will be leaving soon.
I'm sorry if I sound whiny (I'm an overworked full time working mom supporting husband and children...rent,bills,....) but I was hoping someone can offer me a realistic piece of advice on how I should plan on coping with this apartment/neighborhood situation in a positive pro-active way.

Thanks so much folks, I feel I'm at the end of my sanity rope here.

Last edited by BeNicePlease; 07-21-2009 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: added a sentence and punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:54 AM

556 posts, read 1,446,094 times
Try to spend as much time out of the apartment as possible. Go to the park, museum or just take a walk somewhere you feel comfortable.

I do not have kids, but my housemate does. She pretty much annexed the living room and going outside there is music and fighting constantly. I feel a lot of the time like you do.

I am patiently waiting to move as well.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
NYC has free public swimming pools. Perhaps you & your family could spent some time there to get out of your apt. during the day.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,406 times
As bad as your situation sounds, try to put it in perspective, at least you have a roof over your head, and a loving family to come home to. Don't let rude neighbors dictate your happiness, I'm sure they're going about their lives as happy as can be. I've read a lot of threads on here where people are currently in the homeless shelter system, unemployed for over a year, and living in aparments that are falling a part. Your situation is difficult, but not the end all to end all....

Old 07-21-2009, 10:34 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
It's very easy to hear the people upstairs from you, too. It might help to know that they're not actually trying to bother you. When I lived in an apt I could hear the dog upstairs snoring at night! I would also try to spend less time in the house. Maybe on the weekend you can picnic - breakfast or dinner in the park?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:39 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
i lived in a dorm and the people above me bounced a basket ball for about 2 hours a day and did jumping jacks at night. our neighbors had crazy sex all the time. we made it into a "who could be more annoying game" with ipod speakers.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
How about finding another family to do a child-care-share agreement once in awhile? You could take their child or children a few hours a week, and they could take yours for an equal amount of time. This would free up some time for you and your husband to spend time together alone without having to pay a babysitter - this might help you relax. And for those times when you have four kids in your house instead of two, you won't even hear the loud neighbors over the noise in your own home!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,475 times
I think the more you focus on what you hate.. the more you will hate it. Same for me every time I step foot in my house, I hate it. I hate my kitchen so bad I haven't cooked for about 2 weeks. But the funny thing is, my husband reminded me of why we are here. This place is where we started. We have history here. We walked here on 9/11 from midtown. We got ready for our wedding here. We spent the 2003 blackout here (my son was born on this day) and we bought him home in the dark here. We been thru floods & fights here. New Years. Thanksgiving, birthdays.. And I sit back and look at the photos on my wall of the last 10 years here. So think positive, as hard as it may seem. (I need to take my own advise) but things will turn around. As I am typing, I look in the corner of where we placed our first raggedy Christmas tree. Think of it and love it as your home for now. It is your home.. for now. Funny thing is the neighbors do not care about you. They are partying hard, making all the noise they want and are happy. On your way out.. roll out that red carpet and walk up to that U-Haul with your finger (the middle hehehehe) held high. They probably would say.. who that crazy lady but it would make u feel good.

Geeeez I can't wait to move!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: