U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 PM

21,107 posts, read 35,930,265 times

Advertisements

well to the OP i dont think you should do it and the reason why is that if you hold out, you may get something more comfortable/suitalbe for your family....if you decide to have another child at least they can share the 2nd berdoom, and you'll have your bedroom and living room without feeling cramped....there are apartments that have higher income qualifications. here are some links to assist:

Affordable Housing Directory (AHD)

HPD - Apartment Seekers - Current Housing Lotteries

also, i dont think it ever makes sense to downgrade your square footage. lastly, your husband might not feel comfortable not being on the lease.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,415,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
No. It should go to someone who actually meets the income requirements.

I'm curious about why you're applying for an apartment anyway, since it appears that you already have two (this one and this one). You also say you've been called other times for a different apartment, but have turned them down. You can turn this one down, too.
I have an apt. In LES in housing. My grandmother whom is elderly is there now. I have an apartment in Brooklyn which is a 1 bedroom where I reside. I have been called for the Gates Coop, Waters Edge, Bergen St Coops & now Village Villa II in Far Rockaway. All of these are under our combined family income. Honestly I do not see how we could afford 300K houses/coop/condo under our income. But we do.

I agree on turning it down too due to the size. But as far as affording it. And location is what I am questioning.

I also don't want to jump into something we cant afford 10 years from now just because some paper says we meet income requirements for also.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:30 AM

2,312 posts, read 6,764,641 times
Wow, who knew people could be so entitled. What idiots my husband and I are, working and saving, and living in a space that we can afford with our own money.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:18 PM

177 posts, read 644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
I have an apt. In LES in housing. My grandmother whom is elderly is there now. I have an apartment in Brooklyn which is a 1 bedroom where I reside. I have been called for the Gates Coop, Waters Edge, Bergen St Coops & now Village Villa II in Far Rockaway. All of these are under our combined family income. Honestly I do not see how we could afford 300K houses/coop/condo under our income. But we do.

I agree on turning it down too due to the size. But as far as affording it. And location is what I am questioning.

I also don't want to jump into something we cant afford 10 years from now just because some paper says we meet income requirements for also.
This scam and frame of mind is the exact reason why decent middle class people are not moving in to Manhattan or even the Metro area in general. You got people holding down multiple rent controlled apartments and cheating on income requirements for other units.

That is pathetic that you would "win" a lottery by cheating on the requirements, and then turn a luxury unit into a glorified sleeping area because you don't have the space to house 3 people in it.

I would love for the city to kick out these rent controlled people, and re-rent at decent market rates (not 2006 housing bubble prices) to people who actually work and pay taxes. Imagine normal, hard-working people living all over Harlem and other prime locations and having a quick commute to work in the city, instead of illegals cramming in units, and people circumventing the rental laws.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 PM

19 posts, read 135,039 times
Steam is coming out of my ears... I'm currently unable to form a complete sentence..
We budgeted and saved and worked overtime and saved and saved to be able to afford the home we currently have; and although we would have loved to have a a bigger home ( 5 plus bedrooms) we purchased the home we could afford!
Color me ANNOYED!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 AM

10,632 posts, read 16,888,337 times
I hope someone reports you. Are you not reporting your income tax as well?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:54 AM

9,845 posts, read 22,545,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
That sounds like someone saying, 'Yes, my tax return is truthful. I just didn't include the other $50,000 I made, because then I'd have to pay more tax.' Sorry, I don't buy it.
To be fair Viral, I would say a lot of the population does things like this. Yes including on their taxes. It doesn't make it right but it's a lot more common and accepted that some may think.

On a sidenote, I would advise the OP not to take it. Too small for you and you wouldn't really be enjoying it because of the lack of space. Also from what I understand a lot of these lottery type things they also go check out where you currently live. So be aware of that.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 07-30-2009 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City