U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 PM

203 posts, read 626,461 times

Advertisements

I plan on signing a lease for Sept 1st for an apartment but it is still under renovation. The kitchen and bathroom are being gutted and replaced. The broker says that the work will be done before Sept 1st and has called me in to sign the lease. What terms should I add or look for to make sure that there won't be problems such as work not being done or defective, etc. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 PM

730 posts, read 2,762,153 times
I've done this before and there were problems. They didn't finish on time and I had to wait to move in. I would just draw up a letter or get an attorney to draw up a letter stating if the renovations are not done by move in date you have the option to withdraw your application and look elsewhere. Unless you have someplace you can stay if they don't finish on time I don't know what other options you have. I'm no expert on this though.

Good luck.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:39 PM

11,149 posts, read 15,049,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
I've done this before and there were problems. They didn't finish on time and I had to wait to move in. I would just draw up a letter or get an attorney to draw up a letter stating if the renovations are not done by move in date you have the option to withdraw your application and look elsewhere. Unless you have someplace you can stay if they don't finish on time I don't know what other options you have. I'm no expert on this though.

Good luck.

You could also request lease abatement, so that you're not responsible for paying for days that the apartment is unhabitable.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:53 PM

203 posts, read 626,461 times
Thanks for the suggestions.
Lease abatement is the least I would expect...I don't want to pay if I'm not living there...but shouldn't they also have to reimburse me as I'd have to find alternative housing for that period of time.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:42 PM

11,149 posts, read 15,049,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops99 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.
Lease abatement is the least I would expect...I don't want to pay if I'm not living there...but shouldn't they also have to reimburse me as I'd have to find alternative housing for that period of time.
You can ask, but I doubt they'd agree to it.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:11 PM

90 posts, read 405,214 times
I actually did this for my last place (sign a lease while the apartment was still under renovation). Ours was done on time, but I would recommend against doing it for several reasons.

1. You can ask for a lease abatement or the ability to terminate the lease if it's not ready, but then you're screwed if it's not ready. Where are you going to go? They're not going to put you up in a hotel room or anything like that.

2. They've probably shown you "comparable" finishes, but unless those finishes are spelled out in the lease, they can put in whatever they want. A stove that's smaller, fewer kitchen cabinets than you wanted, no mirror in the bathroom, etc etc. In the lease, it's going to say you accept the apartment "as is" and they mean it.

3. You have NO idea what the water pressure will be. This was my big mistake. The water pressure in our shower ended up being laughable. We can only take showers at certain times of day (when the other tenants aren't running the washers in the basement).

4. And finally, the rental market in New York right now is bad for landlords. Really bad. Like, they're cutting rents in some neighborhoods by 20% or more on lease renewals (speaking from experience). You don't have to take something that's under renovation now. So unlike a couple years ago, when you were happy just to find a place, I would just take your time and find something that's lower than your budget and ready to go. September 1st is a long ways away.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:24 PM

15 posts, read 32,046 times
I agree. Before you sign try to find something else. Unless you just can't live without the location of this apartment, go elsewhere. Sounds like a headache (yours!) looking for a place to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: