U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 02:57 PM

63 posts, read 267,071 times

Advertisements

What are the neighborhoods near woodhaven blvd . . and can anyone suggest diverse neighborhoods there aswell . . ?

Also In September my daughter will be going to a school near rockaway park (beach 116th street) & I know that neighborhood is not the best . . but are there any neighborhoods near there aswell that are safe/diverse that i can move too ?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 03:27 PM

203 posts, read 594,452 times
I don't know much about Far Rockaway but its is out there, not really many places nearby. I may be wrong but that part of Rockaway may not be that bad compared to the section where the housing projects are.

As for Woodhaven Blvd, the neighborhoods along it down there is Howard Beach, Ozone Park and then Woodhaven. Not sure how diverse Howard Beach is...but I think its mainly caucasian. Ozone Park and Woodhaven are pretty diverse. I would think Woodhaven is abit nicer than Ozone Park along Woodhaven Blvd. But thats just my opinion.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:07 PM

33,113 posts, read 34,066,848 times
The southern section of Rego Park is on the eastern side of Woodhaven Blvd. just south of Queens Blvd.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:28 AM

Thank you both . . Rego Park is one place i would move but I've been looking at apartments over by rockaway park today and they all seem nice but . .

Is Rockaway Park safe in terms of living ? I know its almost near far rockaway and that neighborhood definitely is not safe IMO.

Is there crime ? Or is it rare ? If anyone knows what type of crime usually occurs . . ?

My daughter would also be walking home from a high school in rockaway park. . and i dont want to be worried about her walking home . . . I am not fully familiar with the neighborhood . . When i first heard of it i assumed it was not the best area considering far rockaway would be close by . . but it had seemed okay when i went over there but . . then again i was only there for an hour.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:17 AM

21,129 posts, read 35,966,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geralnique View Post
Thank you both . . Rego Park is one place i would move but I've been looking at apartments over by rockaway park today and they all seem nice but . .

Is Rockaway Park safe in terms of living ? I know its almost near far rockaway and that neighborhood definitely is not safe IMO.

Is there crime ? Or is it rare ? If anyone knows what type of crime usually occurs . . ?

My daughter would also be walking home from a high school in rockaway park. . and i dont want to be worried about her walking home . . . I am not fully familiar with the neighborhood . . When i first heard of it i assumed it was not the best area considering far rockaway would be close by . . but it had seemed okay when i went over there but . . then again i was only there for an hour.
rockaway park is in one of the safest precincts in the city, the 100.
i have lived in rockaway all my life and i remmeber you asking this question in a previous thread because your daughter is supposed to go to stella maris.
rockaway park like i said before is safe.
the rockaway peninsula is made up of many neighborhoods. from west to east they are: breezy point, neponsit, belle harbor, rockaway park, rockaway beach, arverne, edgemere, and far rockaway.

crime does not become a real issue until about beach 90th street...your daughter will be going to school on beach 110th, twenty blocks away. if you look for an apartment in the belle harbor or rockaway park areas, crime will not be an issue.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-25-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
rockaway park is in one of the safest precincts in the city, the 100.
i have lived in rockaway all my life and i remmeber you asking this question in a previous thread because your daughter is supposed to go to stella maris.
rockaway park like i said before is safe.
the rockaway peninsula is made up of many neighborhoods. from west to east they are: breezy point, neponsit, belle harbor, rockaway park, rockaway beach, arverne, edgemere, and far rockaway.

crime does not become a real issue until about beach 90th street...your daughter will be going to school on beach 110th, twenty blocks away. if you look for an apartment in the belle harbor or rockaway park areas, crime will not be an issue.

Thank you ! Yes i did ask before but people i know have gave me different opinions most are good but i wanted to be really sure and just ask again. Thank you again!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:29 PM

4,841 posts, read 8,450,832 times
Most of the neighborhoods that Woodhaven/Cross Bay Boulevard runs through are primarly white areas [Howard Beach, Middle Village, Glendale etc.]. Woodhaven and Ozone Park have diverse populations, but they aren't good neighborhoods.

Beach 116 Street is a nice section of Rockaway Park. Basically, anything above Beach 108 street is nice.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:38 PM

197 posts, read 813,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Most of the neighborhoods that Woodhaven/Cross Bay Boulevard runs through are primarly white areas [Howard Beach, Middle Village, Glendale etc.]. Woodhaven and Ozone Park have diverse populations, but they aren't good neighborhoods.

Beach 116 Street is a nice section of Rockaway Park. Basically, anything above Beach 108 street is nice.
Since when has Woodhaven been a bad neighborhood? Woodhaven and Ozone Park are average areas and are far from being the hood. They are alright neighborhoods as far as NYC goes. There are more prestigous areas in Queens that those neighborhoods yes. But Woodhaven and Ozone Park are very diverse with a good variety of different cultures represented.

Beach 116th street is in Rockaway Park which a pretty nice area. I am not a fan of the Rockaway area because it feels so distant and isolated from the rest of NYC. However many people like it for that very reason. To me it looks like some parts of the Jersey Shore. So if you don't mind being pretty far from Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn but in the same note being very close to Nassau County than Rockaway is the way to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City