U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 11:31 AM

125 posts, read 362,762 times

Advertisements

Besides Ikea are there any other reasonable priced furniture stores where I can buy a sofa/couch/love seat and a bed? Also is Ikea stuff reliable and sturdy i'd hate to buy something from there and then it breaks after I sit on it LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 AM

1,810 posts, read 6,454,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
Besides Ikea are there any other reasonable priced furniture stores where I can buy a sofa/couch/love seat and a bed? Also is Ikea stuff reliable and sturdy i'd hate to buy something from there and then it breaks after I sit on it LOL.
Ikea furniture isn't going to last you too long, but there is no need to go buy furniture at a high end store either. You can buy a used sofa from Craigslist, many to choose from. Beds must be bought new, for that I would go to any of the major mattress stores. I advise against buying a sofa or bed at Ikea if you want it to last.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:48 AM

Thank you vantastic i'll check craigslist.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:20 PM

922 posts, read 3,538,259 times
Furniture chain stores like Jennifer Convertibles and Raymour & Flanigan have reasonably priced couches and beds and they offer interest-free financing for 6 months or longer, which is a great way to defer up-front expenses. But make sure to pay it off within the interest-free period, because if you don't, they will tack on high interest and charge it retroactively to the date of purchase.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks I just checked out Jennifer Convertibles and I like what I see.Do any of you guys know if the quality is good?

Old 07-24-2009, 01:16 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,414,800 times
Thumbs down Jennifer lacks in customer service!

Jennifer is pretty good but I will warn you about their customer service. They suck! I have had so may problems with them. Legs on couches missing, always changing delivery date. Sending damaged goods and trying to cover up. 3 times I have used them. 3 times a disaster.. But the products are great once you have it. Sad to say.. I would use them again

Old 07-24-2009, 01:31 PM

922 posts, read 3,538,259 times
It's not assemble-it-yourself stuff, so the quality is at least one notch above IKEA, but I can't vouch for Jennifer specifically. Another discount furniture chain to consider is Bob's Furniture. They are New England based, but have stores in the NY suburbs. I don't know about the quality. It's probably on par with the others. Furniture stores like Raymour often run a lot of phony "limited time offers" and Bob's marketing angle is that they don't do that.

Furniture and mattress retailing in general is notorious for shady marketing practices. I think most of the chains buy their stuff from the same manufacturers and private-label it. In the mattress business, the retailers all promote the same brands (Sealy, Serta, etc.), but each chain gets to re-name the specific models to make comparison shopping more difficult.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 PM

33,090 posts, read 34,020,097 times
A friend of mine is buying new furniture. So we trekked around to several furniture stores. Due the economy you find a lot of good deals at smaller stores. In Queens you have furniture stores on Queens Blvd. in the Elmhurst section (between Woodhaven Blvd. & Broadway), on Steinway St. in Astoria and a few in Flushing on Main Street (towards Northern Blvd.).

Old 07-24-2009, 03:14 PM

15 posts, read 30,416 times
You'll also find a lot of places offering deferred pricing (free credit, basically) which may help you be able to pay over time, without the extra cost of interest so you can afford something of a little better quality.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:08 PM

11,655 posts, read 22,309,512 times
I think Ikea is actually pretty good for some items. I think their mattresses are great and I chose to buy one from them to replace the $500 one I had from Macy's and I am much much happier with the Ikea one. I don't know about their couches. If you can afford $1000 for a couch, go to Crate and Barrel. Also there's CB2, which is a cheaper version of Crate and Barrel. I don't know how the quality is, but there is a store in NY.

Also there is a thread that discusses almost exactly this same topic. Try searching the NYC forum for "jennifer convertibles" and see if another similar thread pops up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City