Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 03:08 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times

Advertisements

Someone was actually disappointed that there aren't any Wal-Marts in NYC? That's called facing 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

What we should be doing is encouraging the state of Vermont, which has banned Wal-Mart from anywhere within its boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 03:15 PM

106,636 posts, read 108,773,903 times
thats not true ,.... people take a piece of something and by the time it goes thru playing telephone the whole story is blown out of context and truth.

walmart has stores in vermont...there was one town that had a land use ordinance and they kept a walmart from opening because they didnt meet the zoning

View Vermont Wal-Marts on map/satellite:

Wal-Mart - Store Details - Directions
210 Northside Drive, Bennington VT 5201, (802) 447-1614
No Overnight Parking

282 Berlin Mall Rd, Berlin VT 5602, (802) 229-7792

1 Rutland Plaza, Rutland VT 5701, (802) 773-0200
No Overnight Parking

863 Harvest Lane, Williston VT 5495, (802) 878-5233

Old 07-25-2009, 03:27 PM

106,636 posts, read 108,773,903 times
well for everyone that shops there and loves the discounts they are only able to do it because they control wage costs.....

im not really a walmart shopper but by our home in the poconos they are really the only game around for miles...we do our grocery shopping there and i got to admit the savings is amazing compared to what we pay in new york or even the local supermarket IGA here in pa..... our costs are 20-30% less overall at walmart depending what we buy or take advantage of that trip

Old 07-25-2009, 03:34 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2kay View Post
well i was born and raised in nyc, went upstate for college and learned of this creature called walmart. it was amazing, i came back to nyc and was sad when i realized there none in nyc. wel anyway walmart has been spying nyc for a long time, and word has it there is a real possibility it might come to union square to take over cicuit city or virgin mega. are there any other nycers that would welcome wallyworld to the city. i always that it was kinda unfair the bias toward walmart in nyc that is held to no other company.

Nelson Montana: Bring WAL-MART To Manhattan!
Walmart doesn't locate where the law requires them to pay a living wage. There are none in the City of San Francisco or in the City of Santa Fe either.
Why in the world would you want to shop a retailer who has done more damage to the US economy than Osama ever dreamed of. More than half of the employees children get their health care from welfare. I'd sooner do without

Old 07-25-2009, 03:52 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
Default where is there a second K Mart?

I know the one on 34th and 7th but where is the other one?

How long was the 34th and 7th location there for?

Old 07-25-2009, 04:49 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
There's another KMart on Broadway in that East Broadway Mall complex that's at 9th St.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:07 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,899 times
Wal-Mart isn't in NYC because they can't make [enough] money here. Don't believe all of the politically-motivated grandstanding spewed out by politicians and unions. If they were here, they would have PLENTY of customers (based on the huge crowds at local Target and Costco stores) but it is questionable how profitable the stores would be.

Wal-Mart has traditionally been wary of moving into other large cities as well. Its low price/low cost business model and highly sophisticated inventory management and merchandise delivery systems just wouldn't work as well in the high-cost, high-density environment of a city. Also, urban locations force additional complexities like more staff, specialized merchandise, multi-lingual signage, extra security measures, etc.

For insight on this, check out this article in today's NY Times about the new JCPenney store in Manhattan. Not only does it need to have twice as many employees as a typical store, they had to design specialized merchandise delivery systems to re-stock the store from local warehouses, plus the layout was a design challenge to figure out how to make a store work on multiple floors.

Last edited by UpstaterInBklyn; 07-25-2009 at 06:24 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 11:09 PM

132 posts, read 279,080 times
I dont think there needs to be Walmart here. We have enough stores. NYC, especially Manhattan is just one big shopping mall as it is. I would rather see a Target in Union Square if anything because they are more respectable. Walmart is for the country.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:44 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,375 times
Default wal-mart is more expensive than pathmark/shoprite

Actually Wal-Mart is more expensive than the local grocery's stores like Pathmark or Shoprite. Wal-mart can not touch the prices on grocery's and the loss leader sales at the local stores crush Wal-Marts prices. We are lucky in this area of the country to still have a bit of competition in the grocery market, this makes the prices low. As soon as Wal-Mart moves in and dominates all the other stores go out of business and the prices shoot through the roof. Compare prices on Milk and water. At pathmark a gallon of milk is $2.99 and water is usually $3.99 for a 24 pack. No way wal-mart matches those prices and they will not match the prices of pathmark on thousands of items. It seems like Wal-Marts marketing slogans have fooled a lot of yous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Because Wal Mart is one-stop shopping with almost everything you could need for much lower prices.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:36 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
WalMart is overrated. Yes, they have loss leaders that make everyone think that they are spending the lowest possible amount on every product, but it's simply not true. You may pay less on some items, and a comparable price on others, perhaps even a couple of pennies more.

Any WalMart I have ever been in, I have walked out in disgust, either not having something normal like an emergency restock of printer ink (for a common printer, not a specialized one) on the shelf, or the store being absolutely chaotic, disorganized, and dirty. That's my experience, and even the one in White Plains that was supposed to herald a new day for WalMart in urban locations, and if that's the vision they want to bring to Union Square -- there goes the neighborhood. WalMart pales in comparison to other discounters like Target, Costco, and BJs, IMO.
I agree. They sell low quality for their low prices usually. They often are not one stop because they carry things that they hope will walk out the door in masses, so they don't have a lot of small household items.

Fabric stores have more and better fabrics.
Beauty Supply stores, ditto for their products.
Local Hardware stores, ditto.
The clothing is not as nice as Kohls or Sears or Target.
Local pet stores are better.
The Vitamin Shoppe is better.

Each of the above stores usually have employees who know their merchandise a lot better.

The thing that really gets me is the employees don't know what they are selling, don't know where anything is, cannot find anyone to help you (unless you are willing to wait a half hour) and they are all running around like chickens without heads while they tell you this. Basically, they stock shelves, I think, and ring up sales. They are treated as machines and not people. If the company could get robots they would gladly fire all people. You can see the attitude of the management reflected in the worried and wearied faces of the employees at day's end. I feel sorry for them. Just one step up from slaves. Remember when they had the policy of locking the night watchman in the store at night so he could not get out until the day manager unlocked?

The store prides itself in being a 'good Christian' place?
They ban some popular books because they don't meet the
Walmart code of ethics, yet they make life hell for employees.
I am not kidding, nor am I exaggerating.

You get what you pay for. If you will hire anyone for low wages and not train them properly and overwork them so much that they don't know which end is up - you get a WalMart.

This is probably an error, but I looked for a WalMart on Google Maps and got a hit on 310 5th ave. (646-473-2215). Maybe they just bought some property there. It is between 31 and 32 on the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City