Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:11 PM

141 posts, read 340,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Actually Wal-Mart is more expensive than the local grocery's stores like Pathmark or Shoprite. Wal-mart can not touch the prices on grocery's and the loss leader sales at the local stores crush Wal-Marts prices. We are lucky in this area of the country to still have a bit of competition in the grocery market, this makes the prices low. As soon as Wal-Mart moves in and dominates all the other stores go out of business and the prices shoot through the roof. Compare prices on Milk and water. At pathmark a gallon of milk is $2.99 and water is usually $3.99 for a 24 pack. No way wal-mart matches those prices and they will not match the prices of pathmark on thousands of items. It seems like Wal-Marts marketing slogans have fooled a lot of yous.

lol have u been to walmart? plz tell me ur joking when u say they cant compete with pathmark?i ve seen water and milk for cheaper than those prices. ur too funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 01:55 PM

106,584 posts, read 108,739,314 times
you really have to stop and think who are they competing against in the labor market... they are competing to get employees competitive with the local stores,at least for the floor people.... the middle mgmt and upper mgmt make very good money and have great benefits....

they want grandma and mom and the locals who might other wise work at the local stores for min wage and have no benefits or growth potential... for what they bring to the table as an alternative they offer far more growth, benefits, pretax deductions for medical..... in fact we know people where they are semi retired and just work there for the reduced medical, its far cheaper then they would pay on their own between being pretax dollars and discounted....
not every un-skilled labor position can pay like the uaw....and we know why, nor do they have to.they only have to pay labor enough to get them to work for them and not a competitor.....the more a competetor for the labor pays the more they have to .....its business 101

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-26-2009 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 08:02 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,563 times
The whole anti-Walmart thing is just grandstanding by politicians and unions.

Every demagogue needs an enemy on which to re-direct the anger of his minions. Just like the Ayatollahs in Iran need the "Great Satan" United States, unions and politicians need their own "Great Satan" - Walmart.

It's funny how other big-box discounters like Target and Best Buy get a pass while they utilize the same business model.

Mathjak had a great point by pointing out that the mom-and-pops were never places offering high-wage, high-benefits employment anyway. Walmart is actually a step up from "Vito's Pizza" because there are some benefits and a chance to climb the ladder and get promoted.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:27 AM

there are only 3 ways to make a profit when you have to be competitive with other businesses doing what you do.... you can make some of the profit on the buy of your items, having huge purchasing power and great purchasing people that pound vendor prices to the lowest level, the 2nd way is controlling costs, you cant pay more for positions then positions are worth....if the local supermarket pays min wage and local stock boys make min wage at your competitors thats around what you pay.... the 3rd way is making the profit on the sell... since they cant charge more for a loaf of bread then the supermarkets watching costs and purchasing well are the reason walmart has survived, is profitable and you as the consumer may even save a little money compared to shopping elsewhere, i know we do...

i dont see target, costco, bj's etc paying uaw wages to the low level people either.....

but as usual most of america is nothing more than parrots of what they hear someone else say about something and never really think things thru.

listen folks for 56 years i have been living thru elections... every 4 years i hear new promises, i hear about the lousy democrats or lousy republicans and what they are going to do to us... well heres my bottom line...... everyday for over 35 years now i get up, i put my pants on and i go to work....nothing ever changes in my life no matter what the polital parties in office are , their stances and no matter what their promises were.... my income taxes are the lowest in 40 years and inflation is the lowest in 40 years and even with all the talk of hyper-inflation and what the democrates are doing to us we have to worry more about deflation then inflation......the long term bond market which looks out 30 years from now usually runs around 7% interest...with all the hyper inflation and spending going on that market is at about 3-1/2% which says they dont believe for a second that all this spending is going to lead to hyper inflation like you hear everyone say today.... yes folks all this stuff, economic and political makes good reading and talks but dont for 1 second base your life and ideas on any of this crap....

if everyone opened their eyes and spent more time understanding their own lives and financial situation then they do worrying about what the puppets in office are going to do for them or to them or how walmart is exploiting workers (which they clearly are not ) , their lives would be sooooo much better and possibly change.........

the point is stop looking at what other people think of things and look at how these things effect your life and then make a decion about whether something is good,bad or dosnt effect you enough to even warrent an opinion which more ofton then not is the case

despite what others parrot i look at walmart saving me money, and bringing jobs with competitive pay , (key word competitive pay), benefits and future potential promotions to the area in the poconos in which we live part time....that to me means "GOOD"

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-27-2009 at 03:01 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
^^And, of course, putting all the other stores in the area out of business, which means less choice and higher unemployment. (That doesn't sound as "GOOD" to me, but then I was never a particular supporter of Wal-Mart).

Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 AM

i have not seen a store in our fairly rural area in pa they effected except in a good way with more traffic...... look even here on old country road ..... they have every store imaginable and no ones out of business.... it sounds good my friend when people say that they drive out the little guy but except for some schlock stores i i myself dont see it........ even supermarkets florish down the road from them... their electronics are no match for a full blown electronic store and 6th ave electronics and best buy are next door to walmart in carle place...... we got bakeries, drug stores galore and anything i can think of in carle place,,in fact sports authority is butted against wallmart there....

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-27-2009 at 11:58 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 02:11 PM

6,643 posts, read 2,959,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Walmart is actually a step up from "Vito's Pizza" because there are some benefits and a chance to climb the ladder and get promoted.
I dunno,...I 'd rather hang out with Vito at his store which he owns and is proud of, than sit in a wal-mart 'food court'.

I just don't think it is a good idea. And yes,.I think the Big K-marts and best buys are guilty as well.

I see enough of this Mega mall stuff when I visit my hometown,...
It also sucks visiting places like China and seeing the same crap you see here,...ugg,.but that's another story : p

my 2 cents

Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM

204 posts, read 813,181 times
I can only hope they come to Manhattan!

Wal-Mart prices cannot be touch by anyone, and that competition is best for consumers. If other stores cannot compete, well, that is just business.

Wal-Mart is the only thing I cannot find a decent replacement for in this city.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM

walmart has tremendous buying power, however most manufacturers under ftc rules can set minimum retail prices.... they do this to prevent the big guys with huge inside discounts when they buy from polluting the market by selling things at prices that can hurt other dealers who dont buy as well.....

most of walmarts prices are do-able by other stores, the other stores just wont have the profit margin walmart does at those levels....

remember "hey jerry , whats the story? jge appliances..... they were cut off as big as they were by the likes of sony , panasonic and ge for discounting at levels below acceptable retail prices by the manufacturers....... they were pushed right out of business by the very vendors who's products they sold.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
They bring jobs is a terrible excuse for an underlying problem. They eliminate jobs because of the businesses they destroy, and they are low wages, especially when the businesses before it probably paid higher. Plus people weren't begging for jobs in the first place. This is the same nonsense that Marty Markowitz was spouting when he first started cheerleading the nets stadium. Sure it will "bring jobs" but who cares if they're house is bulldozed to create the stadium.

Mod cut: personal attac everyone thinks that it eliminates jobs, it drives traffic into the community that it surronds. And it also brings many jobs as well. Get the facts straight before you talk. 96% of all Wal-Mart employees have benenfits and they are good benefits like 401k. profit sharing, discount, stock options, medical, dental and life.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-27-2009 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City