U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 PM

29 posts, read 166,255 times

Advertisements

Ok. Don't laugh. I have lived in a big city but only in Asia and not with my child. So, I am wondering, how do you get a toddler (19 months) around a city? You can't put their car seat in a taxi, so can they legally ride without one? Or do mothers just take the bus or subway only?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,654,706 times
Although taxis are exempt from restraint requirements for children, if you bring a car/booster seat with you, the taxi must allow you to install it. Also, there are kid-friendly car services that are equipped with car seats installed in them. Kid Car NY offers cars that are specifically outfitted for children and parents/caretakers.

Many families also use the subway, trains, buses, and walking to get around with a toddler in a stroller, though it's best to use a smaller stroller unless you're on the streets of Park Slope where the Slopie Mommy set rules the streets with iron wheels.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 AM

99 posts, read 336,184 times
Have you tried one of those strollers that turns into a car seat? It's called a Sit N Stroll. It means you don't have to carry lots of extra equipment! You can use it in a taxi; the seat belt fits through the front of it so the whole car seat is strapped in. Hope that helps!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 AM

39,884 posts, read 39,861,577 times
I have seen mothers with strollers in the subways and buses. But if you use the subway during the rush hours, I suggest folding-up the stroller otherwise you might not be able to get on the trains (as it is simply impractical to get on the train with a child in a stroller during rush hour).

Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 AM

29 posts, read 166,255 times
Thanks guys! Your comments have been really helpful :-)

Old 07-29-2009, 10:55 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,242,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli08 View Post
Ok. Don't laugh. I have lived in a big city but only in Asia and not with my child. So, I am wondering, how do you get a toddler (19 months) around a city? You can't put their car seat in a taxi, so can they legally ride without one? Or do mothers just take the bus or subway only?

Thanks!
What about one of those pouches that straps over ur shoulders and back and hold the baby against ur chest?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:29 AM

295 posts, read 642,668 times
I have definitely seen mothers struggle up and down subway steps with strollers. I don't know how they do it. Strong women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City