Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Mayor introduces congestion pricing in Central Business District of Manhattan, no toll booths, poll collection via video camera license plate recording, commuter tax, reduce congestion

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:13 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,704 times

Advertisements

You want me to pay more money out of my pocket to the government of the City of New York and dismiss my complaints as, "unnecessary?" If I'm paying a tax, my complaint is MOST necessary as I'm the one forced to pay it. If it isn't, we may as well live in ancien régime France. What is next? "Le roi, le veut?"

Next time a politician wants to hike your taxes, see how you feel when your opposition is deemed, "unnecessary." You will find it rude, illogical, undemocratic, and yes, elitist.

This isn't just about shopping. I gave a number of cases where shopping doesn't enter in to it. I also gave other arguments which you did not respond to beyond dismissing them as, "unnecessary."

You can't buy everything online. Sometimes you have to go and assure yourself you're buying what you're paying for; that your assessment of the quality of the merchandise is represented to be what it is and that's not always the case in the tea trade. You can't haggle or build relationships with suppliers online either. To get the best prices, assure yourself of the quality of what's offered, and to schmooze with the suppliers, you just have to be there. Most of the teas I buy are not available anywhere else within driving distance, oolongs or otherwise.

I wish I knew what happened to questioning government and actually thinking critically about what government does; how government actions affect all citizens, not just we ourselves. It used to be the hallmark of American citizenship. Now it just appears to be too much effort for too many people.

We're not sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 AM

23 posts, read 48,628 times
So people who live in Manhattan will have to pay to drive around??? What the hell

Old 04-28-2007, 09:01 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,568 times
I think congestion pricing is a good idea. There are simply too many cars on the roads, leading to traffic jams and parking shortages. If a congestion fee translates into fewer cars, and subsequently higher mass transit utilization, this will result in less impact on the environment, and more revenue for the MTA.

Taxes are a fact of life, and they hit some people harder than others. Considering this one can be avoided by almost anybody who cares, I do not see it as onerous. For people who want to come into Manhattan, it is simply another factor to consider. Gas, tolls, mileage, parking, convenience vs bus/train fair, inconvenience.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
I would hope that as part of this plan, MTA would provide better subway service on the weekends. The service on the weekends has been pretty bad for about 10 years now.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:51 PM

23 posts, read 48,628 times
This is so stupid, I hope it doesn't pass.

I'm sorry, but I'd still rather drive and pay the congestion charge than ride in those dirty subways. I walk when it is convenient, but I can't stand the subway! or cabs.

And even if this passes, it wont stop people from driving. People already have to pay for expensive parking, garages, etc. I doubt the fee would stop them from using their cars.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:21 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,645 times
Congestion pricing? Bring it on, Mayor Mike!! We SO need it!

Those suburban dudes always have an excuse. "My dog is heavy", "I don't have a bus stop near my home", "I'm going to Whole Foods and shopping a lot so I need a car".

Whatever, guys.

What about us?? You come here ONCE or TWICE a month. Maybe three times, OK! But we live in Manhattan and we're dying of cancer! We've got the worst air in the nation because your dog is heavy and you gotta drive your SUV into Midtown Manhattan!

It's either you the suburban dwellers with an excuse or the New Yorkers with a car and a free parking spot as Mead well pointed out.

Give me all a big break, take the subway or stay home.

We just want to BREATH. Do you mind?? Pay eight bucks, dammit.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:46 PM

So it's our fault you've decided to live someplace that has pollution issues? Take some responsibility for your life and decide whether living in Manhattan or breathing is more important for you.

Then, realize that paying the $8.00 isn't going to make the air any better because the cars (SUVs or otherwise) are still going to come into Manhattan. Like with the parking tax, it just means some people will pay more. You air won't be any better.

Last, I suggest researching things before jumping on a bandwagon. Rather than take the no-brainer step of throwing money at a problem which didn't solve the problem in the past and won't solve it again. You should also research New York's air quality which is actually not that bad.

New York does not even make the top 10 list of small air particulate emissions, nor the top 10 list in ozone emissions, and only ranks 18th in year-round particulate emissions, according to the American Lung Association (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=50752 - broken link).

Now go have your tantrum

Old 04-30-2007, 05:55 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
So it's our fault you've decided to live someplace that has pollution issues? Take some responsibility for your life and decide whether living in Manhattan or breathing is more important for you.
Lets turn that around. Is it our fault that you've decided to live someplace where it is inconvenient for you to take mass transit into the city? Is it our fault that you feel you need to come into the city every week, or even that you have chosen to live in NY State, and are therefore subject to transit taxes? Take some responsibility.

As for research, and assertions that congestion pricing will not actually reduce congestion, they have found otherwise in London. From the BBC:

"Traffic is flowing freely inside the extended zone, on its boundaries and the through route.

"The zone was, until now, one of the most congested areas in the UK and first indications are that traffic levels have been reduced as expected by the scheme.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:50 AM

That's just it. I already pay transit tax and congestion tax (and sales/gas tax and income tax and tolls and property tax and NY government-mandated fees). To tax me further is, in my mind, unreasonable and I should have a say in how I'm taxed. If you want my money to go into your coffers then you had better expect me to have something to say about it.

I accept my responsibilities by paying my taxes and fees, outrageous as they are, and I'm not blaming anyone else for it. That's the difference here.

I don't presume to tell the people of the UK how to run their government as I'm not British, but New York is not London and the home counties. Our weather is more severe and our suburban mass transit system isn't as comprehensive or efficient. The UK's train and bus system covers more of the suburban area around London than ours does and the home counties are more densely populated than our suburbs. Train and bus stations are commonly within walking distance. This is not the case here.

And, for the umpteenth time, I'm already paying a congestion tax when I park. Will they lift that failed measure at congestion control in lieu of this one? I doubt it.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:43 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Fine then you don't have to pay anymore taxes, just take the bus/train or drive to a park and ride closer to the city if your local transportation costs too much or takes too long.

I dont' see why you're so upset over having to pay an extra $2-3 (since you said you're already going to be taking the GWB). If it is really such a problem and you truly do have to get into the city often, then just move closer to the city and stop living out in the sticks. It is as simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City