Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
but you have to remember, this will only work for people who can cofirm they have a relative to take them in, as said in the article. if im homeless with no relatives elsewhere they would not pay for me to go. its only for those who are homeless who have that option. its not like thousands of bums are at gate 7 in la guardia waitingto leave, ticket in hand. the majority of the homeless are still going thru the shelter system. my 2 solutions are 1) enlist them in the army to do simple tasks, or 2) put them in vacant NYCHA aparmtents which im sure the city has.
I understand that. The second solution is pretty similar to what I was thinking but who knows what kind of excuse they'll use to not make that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 06:05 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How do you think large cities like NYC got more than its fair share of poor and homeless? Decades back several states would send their welfare recipients to NYC (and other large cities) by bus and continue giving them welfare until the people qualified as residents eligible to receive welfare in the new state. How come that was apparently okay? This free ticket thing is certainly not the blatant and deliberate transferring of the welfare rolls that other states got away with for years. If somebody wants to go back home and has a home to go to, why not help them do so instead of paying for them to stay somewhere they don't want to stay at anymore?
I think you misread me. I wasn't trying to imply that I'm against the plan. You're absolutely right; if someone wants to go back home and they're stuck somewhere they don't want to be, then I don't see anything at all wrong with helping them out.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:36 PM

21 posts, read 70,665 times
If this strategy gets adopted by more cities, it will become a homeless circulation: homeless in city A go to city B, homeless in city B go to city C, homeless in city C go to, well, city A. The richest city will win since it can offer the most free flights.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:24 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
I was in the Washington DC shelter system when I was little. I geniunely feel for those who have lost alot in this time, but some people need to get a reality check:

My mom would have killed to have someone take us in, and since this program isn't mandatory, I don't see what the fuss is about. There is a whole cottage industry around keeping the homeless un-empowered and on the street, which hurts the homeless person the most. I agree w/ those who say the city needs to do a better job with things like drug treatment and employment skills, but the realities of NY's economy mean there are already immigrants doing those kinds of things. That's a big reason why NY has a worse homeless problem than many other places.

Those who scream about this being some sort of evil plot by "The Evil Rich White pro-development Bloomberg" need to get a clue.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by above View Post
It will hardly work. At least there should be some conditions imposed. E.g. if they choose to take the free flight, they should not be allowed back to NY unless they have found a job in NY, otherwise if they want to come back still as homeless then they must repay the flight ticket.
Can't come back without a job? Is this not a free country?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:20 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I was in the Washington DC shelter system when I was little. I geniunely feel for those who have lost alot in this time, but some people need to get a reality check:

My mom would have killed to have someone take us in, and since this program isn't mandatory, I don't see what the fuss is about. There is a whole cottage industry around keeping the homeless un-empowered and on the street, which hurts the homeless person the most. I agree w/ those who say the city needs to do a better job with things like drug treatment and employment skills, but the realities of NY's economy mean there are already immigrants doing those kinds of things. That's a big reason why NY has a worse homeless problem than many other places.

Those who scream about this being some sort of evil plot by "The Evil Rich White pro-development Bloomberg" need to get a clue.
So are the immigrants to blame over the administration? Whose job is it to serve the community? Give me a clue, please.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think you misread me. I wasn't trying to imply that I'm against the plan. You're absolutely right; if someone wants to go back home and they're stuck somewhere they don't want to be, then I don't see anything at all wrong with helping them out.
I understand what you meant. What I meant was that other places around the country "being upset" about this have some nerve as some of these other places are the ones who deliberately got rid of their poor residents by setting them up in NYC and other cities to become welfare recipients.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:35 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I believe that the big reaction won't be here in New York if (or when) the city tries to implement this program. It'll come shortly afterwards, and from cities all across the United States--when they suddenly wake up and realize New York is exporting its homeless back to where they came from in the first place.

It was OK for them to leave wherever they came from and become a burden on New York. But wait and see--it won't be OK the other way around!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Not every homless person on america is a BUM as you call it. There are a large number of people who have lost a lot during this economic down turn.
Oh Please, No one said all homeless are bums

Old 07-30-2009, 03:01 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I believe that the big reaction won't be here in New York if (or when) the city tries to implement this program. It'll come shortly afterwards, and from cities all across the United States--when they suddenly wake up and realize New York is exporting its homeless back to where they came from in the first place.

It was OK for them to leave wherever they came from and become a burden on New York. But wait and see--it won't be OK the other way around!
Actually the States Rights Party in Georgia (Lester Maddox) used to give homeless Blacks free bus tickets to Hyannis Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City