Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:24 AM

47 posts, read 128,528 times

Advertisements

The link below will take you to a new Daily News article that come out today concerning three new Bronx residents.

Apartment Happy: Three new Bronx residents

If you notice, they also interviewed a broker who claims that a lot of his clients are now looking into the Bronx, and not just the South Bronx, but the Bronx in general.

Last edited by Curiousguyeducator; 07-31-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:05 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I am one of them.Have lived in NY for over 30 years and never considered living in The Bronx even though it was/is where I work.Opened my eyes a few years ago,looked around and decided to buy a place.I am very happy with my decision and my new neighborhood.I moved to Pelham Parkway from Williamsburg and the last 3 apartments in my building have been bought by people from Manhattan and Park Slope.I have also met others in the neighborhood who have moved from other parts of the city..again,mostly from Manhattan and Brooklyn.
The bargains won't last long though . Rents and prices have kept going up,even in the last year when they were going down in most places.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:36 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
In the future The Bronx will be very pack like Manhattan.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:39 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Although there were reasons for it, the Bronx was an island of affordability in an otherwise ridiculously unaffordable metro area. Too bad that's going too soon enough.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:59 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I think the BX will remain affordable for a while. There are still stigmas and there are still a lot of marginal areas.

Also a lot of people think its crazy far for whatever reason, lol. I've lost count how many times friends or acquaintances get surprised when I get some place on time and I tell them that I came from the Bronx. lol, people think it's like coming from Vermont or something. On the contrary some neighborhoods in the Bronx are some of the more centralized places in the city.

In a way the stigmas are good though, because they keep prices low. It's definitely a good investment IMO.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:47 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousguyeducator View Post
If you notice, they also interviewed a broker who claims that a lot of his clients are now looking into the Bronx, and not just the South Bronx, but the Bronx in general.
A broker? That's not news reporting; it's what you call an agenda.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:22 AM

346 posts, read 1,256,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
A broker? That's not news reporting; it's what you call an agenda.
Exactly. About a month ago there was an article in a mini trade magazine included with the post about brooklyn real estate. In it there was an article talking about how awesome Williamsburg is, how the neighborhood is totally fine, and that if people didn't immediately buy property now, they would be priced out of the city forever. Needless to say, that is far from the truth. Anything that consults brokers to inquire on the status of their developments isn't to be trusted.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:55 AM

122 posts, read 295,171 times
I dont live in NYC but will soon but doesnt the Bronx have some of the worst areas in the city? (crime wise)

Old 08-01-2009, 10:15 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
I remember from an artical that I read from some realestate section of New York Times that the Bronx was the second sought after borough to live in after Brooklyn. What makes the Bronx great to live in is in deed it has alot of greenspace compared to central park. Whats great about the Bronx that its cheap and so close to Manhattan. Also if you live in south Bronx section of Port Morris and Mott Haven you have easy access to museum mile which is ten minutes away by subway, and also have easy access to La Guardia airport which is only ten minutes away via car from the Bronx. So far theres lots of talk about the Bronx and Brooklyn is thier any development going on in heavly divided queens or staten island?

Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac14 View Post
I dont live in NYC but will soon but doesnt the Bronx have some of the worst areas in the city? (crime wise)
not actually, thier are some nieborhoods in the bronx that has not had a single murder in the past few years like 137 street in mott haven which I live on. The only parts of the Bronx that is heavly dangerous is morrisania and notably the western part of the south bronx which includes highbridge mt eden and university hieghts. Anything west of the grandconcourse passed 167 street bordering fordham road has some of the highests rates of crime and poverty, dropout rates, teen pregnancy, stds etc in the city. Im just glad that more people are considering the Bronx to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City