Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 02:21 PM

47 posts, read 128,518 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, how long of a way did the Target/Marshalls/Applebees in Marble Hill go in revitalizing the surrounding neighborhood? I happen to think it helped. Do you?

Do any of you feel that the same will happen with the Gateway Center in the South Bronx? I'm thinking it will but have a few concerns. For one, I've heard people have to pay for parking, something that's pissing off a couple of people. Also, there are also building another shopping mall not too far away in East Harlem, which will also contain a BJs (or is a Costos?) I, for one, hope it does.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 04:01 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousguyeducator View Post
In your opinion, how long of a way did the Target/Marshalls/Applebees in Marble Hill go in revitalizing the surrounding neighborhood? I happen to think it helped. Do you?

Do any of you feel that the same will happen with the Gateway Center in the South Bronx? I'm thinking it will but have a few concerns. For one, I've heard people have to pay for parking, something that's pissing off a couple of people. Also, there are also building another shopping mall not too far away in East Harlem, which will also contain a BJs (or is a Costos?) I, for one, hope it does.

What do you all think?
I don't think that neighborhood (Marble Hill) was that bad to begin with. I'm not sure.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:40 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
That site was a disused industrial property that is now the shopping plaza on W225th. I would not say that it has done anything in terms of propping up the neighborhood, but it gives more options without having to travel to Westchester or Manahttan for some of the shops, though Target is the draw at that center.

Being hemmed in by the Deegan, and the railroad tracks, there's not much in the surrounding area that could take on new character, in the immediate area, that is, because of the housing projects that run along Exterior Street and Broadway to W225th.

Previously, the immediate area was desolate, due to the former fatory being shuttered, and the shopping center brought new vitality to that one site. It is a good thing, however, since the shopping center is much more preferable to an abandoned fatory, though as to spurring any discernable change, it's not as evident, save for some new traffic on Broadway and W225th. It did not spur new commercial or residential development in the area, for example, but did improve shopping options in the surrounding areas.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:46 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
Default yeah the

Target just had it's 5th anniversary on 7/25(opened 7/25/2004). Broadway is a bit spruced up with nicer signage by the Bank Of America, pharmacy, Subway, Rite Aid by 225th but Bailey Ave remains the same. I always liked the idea and thought it fits in the area well. I never thought the area to be "bad" just old neglected and drab

Old 08-01-2009, 10:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Default Marble Hill is part of New York County

Curiousguyeducator, in case you were not aware ...

Marble Hill is an area in the southwest Bronx that is not in the Bronx but is part of New York County and has been part of New York County since November 1, 1683 when New York County was created.

When city authorities widened the Spuyten Duyvil Creek -- it connects the Hudson River to the Harlem River (the year slips my mind for the moment), the creek bed lay just to the north and east of Marble Hill. Rather than widen this section of the Creek, the engineers dug a new channel to the west of the existing "creek", resulting in Marble Hill appearing to be in the Bronx when one looks at a current map.

But the Marble Hillers remain part of New York County (they vote for the New York County D.A. and are called to serve on New York County juries, not Bronx County juries) and the New York City Borough of Manhattan.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
History of WaHI: Marble Hill - Washington Heights & Inwood Online (http://www.washington-heights.us/history/archives/000651.html - broken link)

and although i hate referencing wikipedia,

Marble Hill, Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-02-2009, 09:52 AM

That's true, but Target calls itself Target of Riverdale, even though it's Marble Hill.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
That's true, but Target calls itself Target of Riverdale, even though it's Marble Hill.
I think it's because Riverdale has a bit more cachet than Marble Hill. Most people don't know where Marble Hill is or that it even exists.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:17 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think it's because Riverdale has a bit more cachet than Marble Hill. Most people don't know where Marble Hill is or that it even exists.
I think it's funny that this neighborhood is barely known especially considering it's interesting history concerning the location and borough claiming..

Old 08-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Marble Hill gets no respect: the zip code is The Bronx; the land is attached to the mainland, yet is part of the Borough of Manhattan; and, even the area code is 718. It's confusing, even to many area residents who do not know the demarcation between the two areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City