Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times

Advertisements

Looks like the crime rate risks are much greater in Paterson than in The Bronx in every category except for rape and assault.
You have a much better chance of being murdered,robbed,burgled or having your car stolen in Paterson.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Interestingly,although you would have a better chance of being raped in The Bronx than in Paterson,both places have a lower rape rate than the national average.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,341 times
Just outta curiosity, how dangerous do people believe Hunt's Point in the Bronx is?

Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousguyeducator View Post
Oh, now come on....It's not that bad. With all due respect, Supermario, I feel as though you are exagerating somewhat. Sure, some of the sidestreets are sketchy, but overall that area is not that rough. And this is me speaking from personal experience. I'm always around that area, both during the day and night, and have never had an incident.
The common areas, the main thoroughfares are not bad at all. But a lot of the side-streets are pretty rough. That's pretty much the M.O. from my experience in that part of the Bronx.

Also on a sidenote that part of the BX seems to have a growing Vietnamese population. So there are some Asians in the area.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:01 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
From what I've read about Paterson NJ back in john jay college , Paterson NJ use to be heavly rough and not long ago Paterson NJ had a severe Drug problem with trade and addiction and also a heavy problem with HIV. If anything Paterson New Jersey is more dangerous then the Bronx. IF your asian and you want to live in the Bronx my best bet is eastern bronx probably the parkchester area or maybe pelham parkway area. Western portion of the Bronx around highbridge mt eden and university hieghts is a bit scary and intimidating and you be an easy target!
If Patterson is as rough as your saying then he should have good street smarts and should not be an easy target.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:27 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
..... IF your asian and you want to live in the Bronx my best bet is eastern bronx probably the parkchester area or maybe pelham parkway area. Western portion of the Bronx around highbridge mt eden and university hieghts is a bit scary and intimidating and you be an easy target!
These days there seem to be growing numbers of Asians in most Bronx neighborhoods.I believe they have been the fastest growing minority in the borough for almost 10 years now.My neighborhood,Pelham Parkway ,has a substantial Asian population as does Parkchester,Bedford Park,Morris Park,Norwood and others.
Webster Avenue goes from 165th St in Morrisania( South Bronx) all the way up to the Woodlawn/Yonkers city line and goes through every type of neighborhood imaginable on the way, so it is impossible to make any kind of blanket statements about Webster Avenue.It might help the discussion if the OP would tell us exactly what part of Webster Avenue he is concerned with.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:39 AM

16 posts, read 38,312 times
Default Webster is big and long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
webster ave. is that the bad part???
.. are you looking to move someplace on Webster? Hey man, there are many Chinese restaurants, Middle Eastern owned Deli's, Korean dry cleaners and other super stereotypical aisan ran businesses all over the Bronx. Unless the workers and owners have Star Trek style teleporter installed in their homes in other cities/countries/planets and their businesses, I assume they must live in the Bronx as well... let alone walk/drive through the streets at all hours of the day.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Someone I knew lwho used to live on university ave. in that neighborhood told me there are a lot of marijuana?? I just wonder if it's just that area or the Bronx in general?
there is marijuana everywhere. it is not exclusive to the bronx.

to the surpise of many, there are streets right off from jerome on kindgsbridge (west of jerome) that you would swear were walking through a completely different world. The houses are nice, the owners do what they can to make sure the house values stay up, there are mercedes benz SUVs parked on the street... it is really one of the oddest things to see. it is two long streets that start from the armory and go on till just before Fordham... and of course if you continue north past the armory on the west side of jerome following sedgwich ave you start finding houses that sell for close to a million dollars that line the street opposite the reservoir that people jog around at every hour of the day and night. (right by Lehman college/bronx science HS).

how ever, the streets immediately to the east of Jerome are not that pretty to look at... kinda rough, but not to the point that I have had to avoid walking though those streets on my way home at night.

I really am not a fan of the 4 or D train, but it is really hit and miss where one street looks amazing and you could walk through it on a tuesday night with a "mug me, i have 10,000 cash in my pocket" sign on your head and not have to worry, but then you cross to the next block and you'd think you walk through a dimensional ripe in the fabric of space and time where it almost looks like the 70-80's Bronx minus the burnt car bodies and the crack/heroine addicts Mod cut: inappropriatefor crack.

I wouldn't NOT be afraid about moving to the Bronx. There are many buildings on university with big beautiful apartments (from Kingsbridge to the reservoir especially, which is also a very nice area, and where I live around). Many college students live in the area, and with the number of schools in the area there are always groups of kids that jog around for some sort of team.... I just recommend you actually visit the areas first to make sure you didn't move into that exceptions.

One thing is finding parking... it is a pretty dense area, and the most parking you will find would be by the reservoir and college, which have strict alternate side parking times. That and the fact that there are people that do break in to cars more around that area since lighting around the area is poor at times (council member and 311 does not respond to request as quick as we would like). but the college does have a patrol that frequently passes by certain areas where it's best to park, and there are park patrols that drive around the reservoir at all hours of the day and night.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-03-2009 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 08-03-2009, 10:54 AM

47 posts, read 128,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcinoster View Post
how ever, the streets immediately to the east of Jerome are not that pretty to look at... kinda rough, but not to the point that I have had to avoid walking though those streets on my way home at night.

I really am not a fan of the 4 or D train, but it is really hit and miss where one street looks amazing and you could walk through it on a tuesday night with a "mug me, i have 10,000 cash in my pocket" sign on your head and not have to worry, but then you cross to the next block and you'd think you walk through a dimensional ripe in the fabric of space and time where it almost looks like the 70-80's Bronx minus the burnt car bodies and the crack/heroine addicts Mod cut: inappropriate for crack.
Very funny, Vcino.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-03-2009 at 11:04 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Webster avenue is a large strip. IMO is one of the worst street names in the borough (crime wise). You look at any Bronx murder map, and you will see that Webster ave holds a large percentage of the homicides. It's no joke. Whether it's by the PJ's on 169th or by Fordham rd on 187th....it's rough!

And that area of Kingsbridge and Jerome is the hood. Terrible place. I remember walking by Kingsbride rd and Morris/Creston....ugh. What a dump.

There is alot of marijuana there like there is in the other Bronx hoods.
LOL. Dude whats your problem? U make a point to exaggerate crime in the bronx every chance you get. What do u get picked on ya hood all the time? WTH. If anything the bx is the last place that needs to be overexaggerated

Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillform View Post
Just outta curiosity, how dangerous do people believe Hunt's Point in the Bronx is?
Also not as bad as it use to be (holy cr*p) I use to work in the area back in the early 90's and saw the change in 2004... it was not a complete turn around in the sense that I would now be willing to walk all the streets of hunts point singing kumbai yah (spelling?), but it was a helluva lot better. It was a lot tougher to find a prostitute, and the cops were making round though that whole warehouse/industrial area for unusual activities... Mind you, I wasn't looking for a prostitute or illegal activities, i had just gone to one of the strip joints (still rundown) to find cheap strippers for a bachelor party... but the crackheads that i remember walking the streets (even in broad daylight, sniffing while walking into a grocery store for... i don't know what, cause they sure as hell don't eat) were gone. I was impressed.

New apartments/condo that have filled up pretty quickly... one of the areas that i have really seen getting a big influx of people is a bit east of that on 3rd ave and 149th (not to far from a juvenile correction center). These are places that I have either lived at, worked by or had family that still lives there and I have seen major positive changes in. many of the commercial areas have glued together to create BID's that make the area look much better and attract a better crowd of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City