Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:06 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times

Advertisements

Curious. Debt aside, and not owning a vehicle. Could you live decently? By decent I mean, go out once in a while, shop once in awhile, eat out once in awhile, the neighborhood is ok, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 02:10 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Single, no kids? Manhattan, non-Manhattan? Roommate, no roommate?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:14 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Single, no kids? Manhattan, non-Manhattan? Roommate, no roommate?
Wife, but no kids. Doesn't have to be Manhattan, as long as the neigborhood is decent.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:16 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
When i first moved out, I lived in Forest Hills, Queens in a 1-bedroom, not married with a car and I made $75K at that time. I went out every weekend, never cooked so ate out regularly, and was still able to save. I am also a tech junkie so occassionally wasted money on a useless toy, so i would say yes, you could. My rent was about $1,400/month.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:28 PM

120 posts, read 438,657 times
70k HH income? Think 1750/mo rent max. depending on the borough/neighborhood, you can get anywhere from a small studio (manhattan) to small 2 bdrm (outer boroughs). everything else is probably doable.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:33 PM

328 posts, read 885,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferer View Post
70k HH income? Think 1750/mo rent max. depending on the borough/neighborhood, you can get anywhere from a small studio (manhattan) to small 2 bdrm (outer boroughs). everything else is probably doable.
That would be half of their take home pay. $1750 is way too high.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:35 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Yes if non-Manhattan and no kids. Otherwise fairly difficult.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:07 PM

92 posts, read 197,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Curious. Debt aside, and not owning a vehicle. Could you live decently? By decent I mean, go out once in a while, shop once in awhile, eat out once in awhile, the neighborhood is ok, etc.

You can including Manhattan if you choose.

It depends primarily on if you must live alone. If you can live with a roommate it can work out easily. If not you at least have to be willing to live in a studio but that can add a lot to your rent.

You can have enough to enjoy life moderately. That means nice experiences at mid-range restaurants with an occasional high end splurge. The good news is that some of the best food is the cheapest. So many great food choices here even at the low end.

The bars are pricey, but as with everything in NYC it depends on what exactly you want. You drink after work for nearly nothing during the happy hours of certain bars to end up having nights that get into the 4 figures.

According to Paycheckcity.com with $70,000 a year, you take $3803 month. Even if you pay $1803 for rent which can be lower or higher in case you insist on living in the West Village, leaving you with $2000 a month. Or maybe $1800 after utilities. That's about $60 a day. I'm sure you can live a content existence in Manhattan with that.

You might even be able to save something.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 PM

61 posts, read 233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
You can including Manhattan if you choose.

It depends primarily on if you must live alone. If you can live with a roommate it can work out easily. If not you at least have to be willing to live in a studio but that can add a lot to your rent.

You can have enough to enjoy life moderately. That means nice experiences at mid-range restaurants with an occasional high end splurge. The good news is that some of the best food is the cheapest. So many great food choices here even at the low end.

The bars are pricey, but as with everything in NYC it depends on what exactly you want. You drink after work for nearly nothing during the happy hours of certain bars to end up having nights that get into the 4 figures.

According to Paycheckcity.com with $70,000 a year, you take $3803 month. Even if you pay $1803 for rent which can be lower or higher in case you insist on living in the West Village, leaving you with $2000 a month. Or maybe $1800 after utilities. That's about $60 a day. I'm sure you can live a content existence in Manhattan with that.

You might even be able to save something.

Finally, someone who doesn't say that it's impossible. I don't know what the standards are of the people on this board, but what you wrote describes me almost exactly. I make ~60K a year, live in the W.Village, go to relatively nice restaurants with the occasional splurge and have a very content life.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:58 PM

92 posts, read 197,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desco View Post
Finally, someone who doesn't say that it's impossible. I don't know what the standards are of the people on this board, but what you wrote describes me almost exactly. I make ~60K a year, live in the W.Village, go to relatively nice restaurants with the occasional splurge and have a very content life.

Yeah the hardest part is the temptation around here, there are so many ways to make your money disappear here. It takes a modicum of discipline. BTW, I make about the same and live in Manhattan. I live just fine. I eat well. I drink. I travel. No I'm not eating at Per Se every week, but I survive.

I must make clear here that there is a BIG difference between living here and setting up here. I benefit from having lived here for a few years. I fell upon an apartment that the landlord doesn't believe in jacking up rents and just does a modest bump every year. I know someone who pays $2200 for a 2 bedroom in the West Village (but I'm sure otherwise it would be a $3200-3500 apartment) who also has a landlord like that. So I pay below "market" as do many people who've lived here for a while. Market refers to people just coming into NYC and need to take one of the more easily found places or need to hire a broker. The cost of starting up in NYC is around $10,000. Assuming even a $2000/month studio you need cash on hand for first month, last month, and security so that's $6000. Then if you used a broker that's another $3000. If you didn't use a broker you probably stayed in a hotel for a week or two to find an apartment so you can work the Craigslist scene. But, really someone new to NYC would have a hard time of it. But it can be done.

Once you're here you can live on $70,000 easily and be very happy.

Last edited by sxr71; 08-12-2009 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City